Windows 7 Acronis True Image!

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I just have to say that Acronis True Image is a lot easier to install, and use then Ghost.

I've used Ghost for years and always found the interface confusing.

Acronis is straight forward and simple.

I've already backed up my C:\ drive and will update it when I finally get everything right.
I've already made my bootable DVD recovery disk and tested it.

I just remembered that I hadn't installed my fonts!!!

Fortunately I keep them all in one folder on my D:\ drive as well as my external drives.
They are almost all Adobe Type One fonts and I had to pay for a lot of them over the years.

I've also installed Auslogics BootSpeed and will comment on that after I've spent a little time with it.

Mike

Good to hear Mike. I've used Acronis True Image for years (currently on 2011 and thinking about upgrading to 2012 soon), probably not as long as you've used Ghost, but quite a while anyway and have always found it a reliable product. Everyone has their own particular favorites when it comes to creating system images, mine just happens to be Acronis True Image.
Glad its won you over as well.
Regards
Randy

Hi Randy,

You know a lot more about Acronis then I do.

Can I create a free standing set of restore disks, like the ones I got from Falcon using it?

That would allow me to load a set of DVDs and restore my computer to where I am right now, with everything installed and fresh.

I've already backed up my C:\ drive to my D:\ drive and I've made a Acronis Disk that boots my computer, but I didn't spend a lot of time exploring I just wanted my computer backed up.

But it would be nice to just put a disk in and say restore from a set of DVDs, like I did from the Falcon ones.
Then I wouldn't have to worry about the other drives etc.

I did go ahead and pay for it so I'm committed now. LOL

Mike

Although I have never actually used that option, I do believe you just select your DVD writer (Drive Letter) and check the box that says make this media bootable.

I've had good luck with the Acronis too. I always boot from the rescue CD when I make an image. They have a good forum with a lot off helpful stuff posted.
Joe

Mike
One more thing to check in your Acronis account is if they have an updated ISO for the rescue CD. They update as needed probably with additional drivers.
Joe

Hi

I didn't get an ISO, I clicked on "Create Bootable Media" and it created a bootable DVD with the software on it.

I already checked it and it booted my computer and took me to a menu for restore files, disk, etc.
I think it's running Linux.

I always had to get an ISO for Ghost to do this if this works it's a lot easier.

Is this something new?

It worked, and it was quick and simple!

Mike

I've also installed Auslogics BootSpeed [sic] BoostSpeed and will comment on that after I've spent a little time with it.

We tried promoting BoostSpeed and thought visitors would fall in love with it. Unfortunately, this was not the case. But I still know it has got to be the best PC optimization and repair software in the industry. I'm glad you are enjoying your free copy which was sent to you. Unfortunately, it is all up to what people are into. For at least a few people, that seems to not be this product! In my mind, the product you are getting from Auslogics is top-notch. It really gives you a hand on every issue and system setting. I will now recommend it before and after deploying new systems or doing work for clients. This includes at least one guy on Wednesday afternoon.

I far prefer Paragon to Acronis, as you can do offline backups of server images without as much as a complaint from the software. It is designed this way, while Acronis requires extra licensing. They both use the same idea: manipulate shadow copy when used while the OS is "online' and if that doesn't work right, use a proprietary method. I have used both, but have never been thoroughly satisfied with Acronis. Always had some trouble here or there restoring an image, but that was always if the disk size was different. I would say both programs give you a fair deal. For me, Paragon is just better to use and I prefer using it thoroughly.

I have both Acronis TIH 2010 (wife's PC) and 2011 (My PC) Both versions are very effective. I have restored my PC numerous times as I am constantly "playing" with new things. The venture into Virtual Box and Win 8 are just the latest. I re-create Images whenever I make a change, IE add apps, remove apps, updates, etc. When I have to restore, it takes about 10 minutes. Obviously the timeframe to restore is directly proportional to how Up To Date your Image is.

Hi

Well I have already made TWO backups on my D:\ drive.
I'm going to make another on one of my external drives today.
It only takes about 15 minutes to make the backups.

Then I'm going to back up my D:\ drive to my external hard dive.

This better work, thank heavens for the disks that I got with the computer.
They had an image of the computer all set up, registered to me, tweaked for performance and configured.
It also came with a real Windows 7 CD.

Nothing to do but re-install all my software.

In a way this was a blessing in disguise, my C:\ drive was so filled with junk that I have everything I use back in and I have half the space used up that I did before.

My computer is running like new, and I'm going to save these backups so I can get back to this point in the future if I want to.

I know there are a few things I've forgotten but when I need them I'll install them.

Mike

When I Image my PC (new Image whenever I make a change in my system inclusing updates, added or removed apps, etc) I Image both the C Drive (OS and all apps) and the D Drive (data). I also backup all data to 2 other PCs over our network between Images.

I believe I have already mentioned that I do use Acronis, both 2010 and 2011 versions.

I have found that when I need to restore, even though the compressed Image file contains both partitions, Acronis makes me restore each partition separately. This is Ok because the D Drive in the compressed Image file is probably out of date anyway. I have only had to restore the D Drive once, and afterward I restored data from my other backups. My C Drive on the other hand has been restored numerous times. I tend to like to "play" with my OS, a lot. Because of this, I tend to vreate lots of Images because the more Up To Date my Image is, the quicker the restoration.

I'm really happy with TrueImage so far.

The thing I liked in particular was the fact that to create a boot disk all I had to do was put in a disk and click "Create Bootable Media".

That's a lot easier then the download the ISO image and use ImageBurn to make one for Ghost.

I also like the fact that it is very straight forward to use.

I always felt that Ghost had one of the most unfriendly interfaces I've ever seen, dozens of options, pages, drop downs etc, and none of them clear about what it was doing.

Over the years I've often had problems getting it to run.
I am right now, it won't start because of some kind of error having to do with Net Framework which I just had updated.
I see a lot of people having this error going back years but can I find a fix for it? No!

You would think that after years of problems they would have an easy to find answer telling how to fix it.

I have used Norton Removal Tool to remove it and re-installed but it still won't work.
I still may need access to my old backups, I'm not going to remove them until I now I have retrieved everything.

Mike

Back