Windows 7 Add XP to Windows 7 64 Ultimate install fails

thehoyles

Thanks for looking, Happy Holidays.

I would like to add XP to my already installed Windwows 7 64Bit Ultimate install because of legacy application that will only run in XP.
I added a new HD just for the XPOS installation, system boots just fine from CDROM with XP until I get to the "Press Enter to Continue" "R repair" or F3 to Quit screen. it's then when the keyboard simply locks up and no longer works.. I tried 2 different USB keyboards.. and these are simple USB keyboards.. it simply locks up and won't continue..

Suggestions...

It acts as if it knows windows 7 is installed and won't allow XP to install..

thanks

I think you need a third party boot manager. Do a search here it should show up. The older system shoud be installed first. There is also XP mode available from MS for Ultimate and Pro. There are also virtual PC's Virtual Box, Ms has one and VMware player is free now you can create a virtual PC with it. It will depend on what legacy software you need. XP 32 bit may be a problem with more than 4 G ram also.
Joe

I did purchase a 3rd party boot manager called DualBootPro .. I was hoping this article was the solution for the install: check it out:

Install Windows XP in Dual Boot with Pre-Installed Windows 7

I already have Windows 7 64 Ultimate installed and can't go backwards..

Suggestions after reading the article? I'll have to check more on that XP mode

I'm currently downloading and installing the XP Mode and Virtual PC thing...

Thanks for the reply.. Merry Christmas
I think you need a third party boot manager. Do a search here it should show up. The older system shoud be installed first. There is also XP mode available from MS for Ultimate and Pro. There are also virtual PC's Virtual Box, Ms has one and VMware player is free now you can create a virtual PC with it. It will depend on what legacy software you need. XP 32 bit may be a problem with more than 4 G ram also.
Joe

Last edited:
Not sure if this is a solution that you can use and it would depend on your motherboard boot options. I have an ASRock G31M-S, and when the system boots I can simply hit F11 and the screen gives me an options to choose between my Western Digital or my Seagate Hard Drives. One is a clean install of Win 7, and the other holds a clean install of Windows XP Pro Sp3. These were both done without the other hard drive connected so neither OS is actually aware of the other, but now I can choose from the motherboard boot menu when the system starts. So no boot manager but still dual booting, more or less.

Back
Top Bottom