Windows 7 Adding a computer on a wired router

motherconfessor

Hey there.

Ok I am having issues with windows 7 and other computers being able to access the internet. I have windows 7 installed on one PC and that is connected to the internet via d-link router. I have a laptop that also has windows 7 installed and it connects via the same router but wirelessly. It has no issues. However I have another PC that is plugged into the same router with a LAN cable and it cannot connect to the internet. It has XP installed on it. Any idea why this might be or how I can fix it? I've never really done much with networks before, never had occasion to need to. Thanks!

You might need to reset your router. Unplug it then find a little hole on the back (usually) take a paper clip and push the little button inside it. Then plug it back in and let it do it's start up procedure. Maybe that will fix it.

Hello and welcome,

That's quite a vague description. You state your having problems with Windows 7, then you state your Windows 7 computers are connecting fine..

I'm assuming you had XP installed first, so was it working before you installed Windows 7?

You don;t mention anything about an error message either.

Unplugging the router might have been a better idea than resetting as know you will have to setup a password again assuming you have one.

These are important things we need to know to help you with your problems.

We also need more detailed info on your system to give you a viable solution

Please folllow steps:

In order to troubleshoot your problem we need to know more detailed specs of your system hardware.

1. Go to Start > Run, and type msinfo32, look under the Components section for hardware identification
2. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager and look for any entry that has a yellow flag beside it
3. The manufacturer name and model number of your PC, if applicable
4 Please fill out your computers specs in the User Control Panel here on the site as well. It will then appear next to your name. look at my posting and you'll see the drop-down arrow.

Hey there.

Ok I am having issues with windows 7 and other computers being able to access the internet. I have windows 7 installed on one PC and that is connected to the internet via d-link router. I have a laptop that also has windows 7 installed and it connects via the same router but wirelessly. It has no issues. However I have another PC that is plugged into the same router with a LAN cable and it cannot connect to the internet. It has XP installed on it. Any idea why this might be or how I can fix it? I've never really done much with networks before, never had occasion to need to. Thanks!

I would make sure the lan card has correct drivers installed and looks installed in device manager and I would then do as "stueycaster" suggested reset the router and try connect :)

It should simply connect the same as vista and win7 ;)

...sounds like a bad LAN cable to me.
check it first, and try:

start - run -
ipconfig /all - DHCP =yes? IP address?

if yes -
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns

try again

if no -
set to DHCP, repeat....then check for drivers or a disabled NIC

Back