Windows 7 After installing an nvidea driver, windows 7 won't start.

misterMatt

I have an HP Pavillion dv9700, and it has an nvidea GeForce 8600M card, 4 gigs of ram, and an Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.1Ghz. This is a fresh install of windows 7 professional x64, I did a format and everything. If this is not enough information about my setup please let me know, and I will post more information.

Before I installed win 7 I was on vista. I started having some trouble with the infamous 'Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered' problem, and then the nvlddmkm blue screen. So I decided to say whatever and do a fresh windows 7 install. So far windows 7 works great as long as I don't have nvidea drivers installed.

I have tried installing the 179.48 win7 x64 beta drivers, and the 257.21 win7 x64bit international whql drivers. The 179.48 caused blue screens when starting up, and the 257.21 just would hang when starting up, and not go anywhere.

I am worried that the problem is my physical card, and not the software around it. Do you guys have any ideas as to why I am not able to boot into windows when I have nvidea drivers installed?

You should be using drivers from HP rather than Nvidia. Look on the HP site for your HP Pavilion dv9700 - if there is no Windows 7 driver try the Vista 64 bit driver.

You should be using drivers from HP rather than Nvidia. Look on the HP site for your HP Pavilion dv9700 - if there is no Windows 7 driver try the Vista 64 bit driver.

There are no available windows 7 drivers from HP. I tried running the vista 64 one but it come up with an error that I wasn't running vista 64, and then halted. Should I try running it in a compatibility mode for vista? (I have Vista, service pack 1, and service pack 2 available to choose from)

Thanks.

With HP not offering support for Windows 7 you are limited to trying whatever you can - including compatibility and also any other versions you can find - earlier stable versions may work where the most up to date betas may not.

There are no available windows 7 drivers from HP. I tried running the vista 64 one but it come up with an error that I wasn't running vista 64, and then halted. Should I try running it in a compatibility mode for vista? (I have Vista, service pack 1, and service pack 2 available to choose from)

Thanks.

Most certainly, that is the first option. The sp's are not part of the process.. Right clcik the Vista 64 drivers you have downloaded and select the compatibility mode. Then select Vista, Ok it and try to install them again, and see how that works.

Most certainly, that is the first option. The sp's are not part of the process.. Right clcik the Vista 64 drivers you have downloaded and select the compatibility mode. Then select Vista, Ok it and try to install them again, and see how that works.

I think this worked! I installed the drivers under the 'vista' compatibility mode, and I was able to boot into windows, and log into my desktop.

You guys are great!

Okay guys. I lied. Things were working, but then during the course of playing a game I got a bluescreen. There are two drivers available from my HP laptop's product page that are for vista 64 bit, I tried to reinstall the ones that I got to work to no avail, and then I tried to install the older ones provided by HP, and that resulted in another blue screen on booting my computer. I am going to post the crash reports from this blue screen to see if we can't figure out the root of the problem here.

Attached is a collection of all the files I have in my minidump folder, the most recent one is 062710-17659-01.dmp

Attachments

• bsod dumps.zip
    123.9 KB · Views: 319
All errors are 0x116 video TDR timeout errors. They are not being caused by the video driver itself. We can look past this.

But it would still be good to update the NVIDIA driver from HP.com for your specific machine because this is rather old:

Code:
nvlddmkm nvlddmkm.sys Tue Feb 26 17:03:16 2008

These are your other drivers needing update:

Code:
RTKVHD64 RTKVHD64.sys Tue Jan 15 06:19:16 2008 
Rt64win7 Rt64win7.sys Thu Feb 26 04:04:13 2009
netw5v64 netw5v64.sys Thu Mar 26 12:21:24 2009
HpqRemHid HpqRemHid.sys Wed Jul 11 11:30:34 2007 
rixdpx64 rixdpx64.sys Fri Nov 17 23:07:46 2006 
SmSerl64 SmSerl64.sys Fri Sep 26 04:45:56 2008

1) This will update your Realtek HD Audio driver, RTVHD64.sys -

Realtek

2) Please check the device manager under network section for your exact Realtek lan type. Then search its number in the left side of the above Realtek driver screen I linked to, for the latest network driver.

3) That is your wireless driver. You can visit HP.com to go to your page for your notebook to get the latest driver for this to install.

4) This HpqRemHid.sys driver seems to be for "HP Remote Control HID Device". You can also visit HP.com to obtain the latest driver for this to install.

5) This rixdpx64.sys driver is a card reader driver. HP.com should have the latest available for you too.

6) This driver is for the modem. HP.com should have the latest modem driver.

If you still run into problem, I would at the very least on a temporary basis, uninstall iTunes to remove the following driver and see how it goes. It's known to cause problems:
Code:
GEARAspiWDM GEARAspiWDM.sys Mon May 18 08:17:04 2009

Also, you can update the bios if there is any offered.

If there are still problems after giving attention to all these things, please post a new crash dump for us to look at.

Okay. Thank you for the help so far everyone.

Here is my newest crash dump. I uninstalled itunes, and I think I got all of those drivers updated. As far as a BIOS update goes, it looks like there is an available update. However, I read somewhere that if something goes wrong it can be damaging to my computer, is that true? I am especially concerned because I'm running win7, and it looks like the BIOS update is designed specifically for vista: Link Removed - Invalid URL. Is it safe to try that bios update?

Thank you.

Attachments

• bsod2.zip
    27.8 KB · Views: 306
There's no such thing as bios for only an OS. Go ahead and install it, but make sure you don't lose power to the machine for any reason while doing so.

The Realtek HD Audio hasn't been updated.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Neither has the wireless driver, netw5v64 netw5v64.sys Fri Aug 29 02:57:18 2008.

This is the video driver I would install, after updating the previous and updating bios:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-257.21-whql-driver.html

Last edited:
Okay after getting those two drivers up and running, flashing the bios, and then attempting to install the recommended HP drivers for my card, things seem to be working again.

If I get another bluescreen, I will post the minidump in this thread for you guys to look at. (How can I view those files myself?)

Thank you for all of the assistance.

Nice. Very glad to hear about it and thanks for telling us.

It's actually a little bit complicated to look at the dumps if you don't have plenty of experience. There's things you need a trained eye for and also need to know why certain things happen based on what you're looking at. In rare instances, it is very easy to tell what the cause of bsod is/are. Usually, you have to dig a little bit with knowledge.

That being said, I wouldn't want to discourage anyone wanting to learn. The best and most professional software to use to analyze mindumps is WinDbg. It is freely offered on Microsoft's website.

If you really want to learn, I suggest checking all of these threads by the awesome and amazing H2S04. Usasma for sure knows his stuff as well:

Crash and lockup debug 'How To' - Windows 7 Forums

Here's how to configure and a little bit on how to use WinDbg:

[2 - Intermediate] Configuring the "Debugging Tools" - Windows 7 Forums

Other excellent resources for learning are books called "Microsoft Windows Internals" and "Advanced Windows Debugging".

Okay, I spoke too soon. I am still having problems after restarting my computer. It bluescreened, so I booted into safe mode and removed the nvidea display drivers and then it boots just fine. Could there still be some kind of a driver conflict even after updating them all?

I have attached the crash report for this most recent BSOD below. Thank you for your patience. Hopefully the bluescreen can tell us something. Thank you again.

Attachments

• bsod3.zip
    26.2 KB · Views: 259
This is the driver for video being shown currently:

Code:
nvlddmkm nvlddmkm.sys Wed Dec 03 23:00:01 2008

I would boot to safe mode + networking. Then download and install the video driver I recommended in my previous posting. It will have a very recent date.

After it installs, reboot to normal mode and install it again to get the NVIDIA Control Panel to install and function.

As long as your careful then updating the bios is usially pretty straight forward. I checked your dump file and it does look driver related (graphic). After reading the thread I would do as suggested and update the bios (you should always use the latest version anyway..

This is the driver for video being shown currently:

Code:
nvlddmkm nvlddmkm.sys Wed Dec 03 23:00:01 2008

I would boot to safe mode + networking. Then download and install the video driver I recommended in my previous posting. It will have a very recent date.

After it installs, reboot to normal mode and install it again to get the NVIDIA Control Panel to install and function.

After trying to install that driver you posted while in safe mode my computer just went to a black screen after the 'Starting Windows' stuff, where it would normally put the cursor on the screen and display the login screen. What does this mean?

Did you let it sit for a few minutes at all to see if it eventually displayed properly?

Can you do Ctrl + Shift + Esc to bring up the task manager?

If the answer is no to both, I'd try this driver then:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Did you let it sit for a few minutes at all to see if it eventually displayed properly?

I'd try this driver if the current installed one isn't getting anywhere:

I'd try this driver if the current installed one isn't getting anywhere:

I wasn't able to do anything after waiting, and the older driver from HP also just hangs after the starting windows screen. One time though I did get a blue screen with the HP drivers, does anything look out of place in the minidump?

Attachments

• bsod4.zip
    28.9 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom