Windows 7 All my adapters are not working???!?!?! HELP!!!

highwolfx

All my adapters in my Dell Inspiron 1440 (Win 7 HP x64) in the Device Manager are seemingly not connected or malfunctioning...It happened right after I restarted my computer and all of them quit out at once... PLEASE HELP!!!

Are they all showing in device manager with an exclamation mark? Try removing them and rebooting to get Windows to reinstall. Failing that, go to the Dell website and manually download drivers - the Dell website is very good for drivers support.

What is happening to make you think the network adapters have failed?

Are they all showing in device manager with an exclamation mark? Try removing them and rebooting to get Windows to reinstall. Failing that, go to the Dell website and manually download drivers - the Dell website is very good for drivers support.

Yes they are showing up with that exclamation mark, but if I try to download the drivers, how am I going to be able to get them onto the computer? It basically isolated itself, since the network adapters are down and the USB controllers are down too...

Umm... it's not only my network adapters, but all of the adapters, port controllers, etc. are showing up with an exclamation mark next to it in the Device Manager... Under properties, the device status lists Code 39

Yes they are showing up with that exclamation mark, but if I try to download the drivers, how am I going to be able to get them onto the computer? It basically isolated itself, since the network adapters are down and the USB controllers are down too...
Can you burn them to a CD on your other computer (the one you are currently using for communicating in the forum) or perhaps a friends or neighbors?

Umm... it's not only my network adapters, but all of the adapters, port controllers, etc. are showing up with an exclamation mark next to it in the Device Manager... Under properties, the device status lists Code 39
Unless you have reason to suspect some type of pending catastrophic failure regarding these components and or your motherboard, I would be thinking malware. Perhaps give this a try and see if you have an infection that may be causing this.
Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper Beta | Microsoft Connect
just grab the right one for your architecture and a blank CD double click the program and it will create a bootable CD that you will be able to scan your computer with independent of your Operating System. Just run a full system scan and see if helps.

Thanks, I think that might be the problem, because I just finished a System Restore and the Device Manager still says the adapters are corrupted or missing (code 39).

Weird that the only adapters affected were the network adapters, sound, video, and game controllers, and the USB controllers... Everything else is working fine...

It could still very well be an underlying driver issue, possibly the chipset driver or perhaps even a BIOS issue. I would still follow through with the earlier suggestions of getting on the Dell site, with your service tag number and making sure that you have the latest available drivers for your Chipset, Video, Audio, LAN, Wireless, etc., even reinstalling the same ones if necessary to eliminate any possible corruption issues, and maybe even see if there is anything available in the way of a more recent BIOS update

Hi

Also run Malwarebytes.

It's strange to have multiple failures at the same time in different hardware drivers etc.

Have you tried just asking it to update drivers in Device Manager?
Do you get an error message if you do?

I didn't know about System Sweeper, I'm creating a disk right now.

Mike

I think something might be wrong with my BIOS, because every time I try to boot from the CD, it says, "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD Drive...", but when I press a key, it boots from the hard drive...

NVM...

Last edited:
BTW, how do I start the scan?
Not sure who that question is directed at but if you are talking about the Microsoft Standalone product. After double clicking the program that you downloaded and creating the CD that it produces, you need to put the CD into your computer and reboot.
You may have to adjust your BIOS Setup utility to force your CD as the first boot device or you may have an Fkey option at post that support a boot menu when used which allows you to then choose your CD to boot first. And you may want to pay attention from a prompt during the boot process, something like hit any key to boot from CD (good luck finding that any key). Then the program loads and you have quick scan or full scan or custom scan as an option, I would suggest full scan.
Regards
Randy

I already ran the scan and it found a trojan and removed it, but the problem still exists... It probably isn't a driver problem, since the troubleshoot wizard for the applications that use those drivers are also not working properly... Any ideas?

Hi

Have you run a scan of your system files....

From the elevated Prompt Right click on the Prompt Icon and select run as administrator. Then type…

SFC /scannow Scans and restores system files.

It's worth a try.

The only other thing that I've got is to try and remove the devices that don't work one at a time in Device Manager reboot and let Windows detect and re-install them again.

You'll probably know if it works or not after doing the first one.
I wouldn't try and do them all at the same time.

After that the next option I would try is a repair install.
This was an easy one before Service Pack 1 but now you have to remove service pack one before you do it, which is kind of a pain.

Repair Install of Windows 7

Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums

How to Remove Service Pack one from Windows 7

How to uninstall Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)

Mike

when you try to activate you have the option to activate by phone, use this option. If your key is legitimate they will provide you with another activation code. Call Microsoft's customer support. The numbers are available on this page: http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/c…

Voice: 1-877-568-2495

TTY: 1-800-892-5234
Source(s):
Search of Microsoft site.

Back