Windows 7 Annoying buzzing sound

JamesJR

Theres this annoying buzzing sound I been trying to get rid of since I clean installed. Its in the background constanly, even when im just idling desktop. Watching movies or playing games in incredibley stressful. All drivers are updated, I've played with both windows sound settings and soundcard sound settings 'xfi soundcard'. I have no idea what else to try.

A sound such as that might be coming from an external source, like a light or some other electrical equipment close to your unit. Even the Power Supply could allow such a problem. Or even a power cable running very close to a unshielded wire.

If you think it is being caused by the upgrade, this is the first time I have seen this exact problem, although other types of audio distortions have been seen. Since it seems to be present all the time, and not just when playing audio, have you reset you audio plugs to make sure they are in the correct ports?

Is your sound system speakers only or is there a USB or some other special type component?

Have you checked for an updated driver for your sound card?

Otherwise, you might look through any sound enhancements to see if they can be adjusted, and does your volume control appear to be where is normally is or do you have it turned up?

The buzzing seems to have somthing to do with the treble and bass. When set to minimum -12 the sound is much fainter than my normal setting, but still noticeable. The minimum treble and bass ruins my sound quality so its 50/50 win lose. I'm running double OS win7/xp, my headphones and speakers work perfectly on xp so its a 7 issue.

If you have decided it is definitely a Win 7 problem, then it would seem it has to be either a driver or maybe even a bios problem. You might look for other sound drivers and see if the bios updates for your system mention anything about sound problems.

There may also be a situation where some type of legacy driver is required for your system. When you look at the Creative drivers, do you have an option for anything like that?

Does it make any difference if you boot directly into Win 7 from a cold boot?

creative and ati drivers crash my computer/bsod/randomly restart, so im using legacy driver for sound, i have not installed a driver for vid card but it seems to be fine. during grafix driver instalation my computer turns off so i quit trying. legacy driver fixxed all the other sound issues i was getting but now i have this buzzing, which in comparison is alot more tolerable than the other issues.

no difference at all.

Have you tried muting the microphone output in your sound applet?

Some soundcards (Creative being one) do not ground the mic input when you disconnect the mic. On setups with two mic jacks that means one is open even if you do have a mic plugged in. These are high gain inputs and they will buzz a bit... Usually the answer is to go into the Speakers side of your sound mixer and mute the microphone. That won't stop you from using it normally in chat and such, it will only mean you can't hear yourself through your speakers or in your headset.

creative and ati drivers crash my computer/bsod/randomly restart, so im using legacy driver for sound, i have not installed a driver for vid card but it seems to be fine. during grafix driver instalation my computer turns off so i quit trying. legacy driver fixxed all the other sound issues i was getting but now i have this buzzing, which in comparison is alot more tolerable than the other issues.

no difference at all.

You're welcome to post the crash dumps in the bsod section of the forum. You likely have many other issues that need to be sorted, because you really should be running the latest of both the ATI and Creative drivers. We can see all the reasons why your pc may be crashing on you.

Other than that, you can try enabling or disabling Spread Spectrum in the bios to see if it makes any noise differences.

As Common also says, poor grounding situations can easily lead to noise as well. True that.

Back