Windows 8 Are they Nuts

golferminn

Hi Microsoft are you nuts this is the worst version ever ME was a better version. Why in gods name would you not have the option to have a start menu like 7. No we have to go purchase an app to get that desktop and start menu. Fix your security problems then mess up the rest of the system. I am glad that I only purchased the cheap version of this horrible version. I can now go install Linux.

Thank you. The comment about ME actually brought a smile to my face.
Actually there are a few options available for free to re-instate the "Start Orb" This Welcome to Classic Shell being one of the more popular.
But overall it seems that people either love it or hate it and I think we can safely place you in the latter column. My four year old grand daughter would be in the former.
Here's wishing you the best with Linux there are many exceptional options that for the most part, will provide an excellent experience
I don't think this will be the last of this type of reaction to the new Operating System.
Regards
Randy

It seems like the people happy with it also use tablets, smart phones and other touch screen stuff already.
Joe

I have totally conventional PC's. Installed Win 8 Pro on 2 laptops so far. Works spectacularly. For the nuts guy, do some investigation and learn how to use Win 8. I created a tutorial that I give away for free. This will go a long way toward making getting around in Win 8 easier.

I share golferminn's frustration with Windows 8, having installed the Beta version on my (previously) Windows 7 HP laptop. As frustrating as it has been to fathom the Windows 8 design and operation, imagine my shock at finding its resident browser, IE 10, is unable to play videos such as a NOVA special: Video: Hunting the Edge of Space: Part 1 | Watch NOVA Online | PBS Video. I was able to hear the sound but the screen remained black.
In confirming the problem, I made sure I had downloaded all available updates for Windows 8, and I searched Microsoft's (difficult to navigate) website for any sign of awareness or help. I did determine there appears to be a disconnect of some sort between Adobe and Microsoft regarding Flash Player's compatibility with IE 10.
Bottom line - are you ready for this - I had to open Firefox in Windows 8 in order to successfully play the video! Roll that around in your mind for a minute; Microsoft's new flagship OS is incapable of handling ordinary videos! How's that for progress?!

You are most likely talking about the Win 8 Version of IE 10, not the desktop version. IE 10 is spectacular and plays video very well.

You can choose to always use the IE 10 Desktop version:

AlwaysIEDesktop.jpg

Thank you, Medicted60, but your suggested fix did not work. I changed the IE option as illustrated in the image you provided, then closed and reopened IE 10 and returned to the video site only to obtain the same result: sound but no picture. I have no axe to grind with Microsoft - I'm a great fan of MS Word and Publisher, for example - but I believe their dominance in the industry has been marked by a degree of disdain for the needs and concerns of the average user. I believe the problem I'm presently experiencing with IE 10 is an example of that attitude.

You are most likely talking about the Win 8 Version of IE 10, not the desktop version. IE 10 is spectacular and plays video very well.

View attachment 593

I share golferminn's frustration with Windows 8, having installed the Beta version on my (previously) Windows 7 HP laptop. As frustrating as it has been to fathom the Windows 8 design and operation, imagine my shock at finding its resident browser, IE 10, is unable to play videos such as a NOVA special: Video: Hunting the Edge of Space: Part 1 | Watch NOVA Online | PBS Video. I was able to hear the sound but the screen remained black.
In confirming the problem, I made sure I had downloaded all available updates for Windows 8, and I searched Microsoft's (difficult to navigate) website for any sign of awareness or help. I did determine there appears to be a disconnect of some sort between Adobe and Microsoft regarding Flash Player's compatibility with IE 10.
Bottom line - are you ready for this - I had to open Firefox in Windows 8 in order to successfully play the video! Roll that around in your mind for a minute; Microsoft's new flagship OS is incapable of handling ordinary videos! How's that for progress?!

Your issue sounds like you need to change an activex command. Open Internet Options and click on the security tab followed by the custom level tab near the middle of the page. Scroll down until you get to the ActiveX section and make sure that 'Display video and animation in a web browser that does not use an external media player' is enabled. (see screenshot)

activex.jpg

Security settings.JPGThank You Kemical;

I enabled the recommended option, closed and reopened IE, but still no picture. I then enabled three additional Active X controls (see attached) but all to no avail. Thank heaven for Firefox.

Your issue sounds like you need to change an activex command. Open Internet Options and click on the security tab followed by the custom level tab near the middle of the page. Scroll down until you get to the ActiveX section and make sure that 'Display video and animation in a web browser that does not use an external media player' is enabled. (see screenshot)

View attachment 595

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 593

This sounds like you're saying there's a "Start Page" version and a "Desktop Page" version. I didn't read that right did I? That doesn't sound right.

And to MWR... this is old news. M$'s flagship video player (Silverlight) is incapable of playing videos. It doesn't natively support v-sync, instead relying on Aero to handle it. Of course this was done intentionally so people would "upgrade" to Vista from XP so their Netflix would work again.

Back