Windows 7 Autoplay problem w7 64

3doz

Both the dvd and blray drives wont see autoplay in any software inclyding windows media
they just wont run when loaded
they wont populate in preferences
they show in explorer and then can be run as files per selection to any player

Autoplay can be a dangerous thing because it can "automatically play" or run malware infected files. So I have autoplay disabled for that reason. You might check your settings here.

I think one of the hotfixes changed the settings from auto because of the security issues.
Joe

I simply want to insert a dvd or bluray and run it on the computer
even through windows player or any other without having to select a vob file in explorer

In Windows 7 did you look in the Control Panel for Autoplay? The settings are in there. It's right mext to Administrative Tools.
Joe

Autoplay has been a constant problem in Windows. It goes away, you get it fixed, it goes away again. I'm practically done with fighting against that stubborness... Sometimes one has to be satisfied with something half manual.

Can you get anything like this screenshot with Windows Media Player, if you start it from the taskbar? Or Start button? I also don't have autoplay, but I don't have to manually pick all files.

http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t350/Hamarahakki/Autoplayproblem.jpg

I start the play from the arrow at bottom, and all is fine. If I close down the program / whole computer in the middle, when I restart it goes on from the point it was stopped at. This is with default settings.

Unfortunately this is about the best I can offer.

Last edited:
I simply want to insert a dvd or bluray and run it on the computer
It is also important to note that movie DVDs and especially BluRay movies MUST have the necessary codecs installed for Windows to "play the movie". In fact, with Blu-rays, the Blu-ray Disk Association owns the Rights to Blu-ray and requires compensation whenever you play a Blu-ray disk. This is why Windows does not support Blu-ray natively because Microsoft would have to pay the Blu-ray Disk Association a fee with every Windows license sold. This is also why the vast majority of Blu-ray players for computers cannot play pre-recorded Blu-ray movies without software - which is sold separately.

Did they used to work on this machine?

I use powerdvd for bluray and sometimes for dvd
but no player will start from the disc in both drives
as stated the only way to pay is go into explorer select the drive and play the file
vob on dvd ... stream them m2ts file on bluray its a pain in the ass
then any player will operate

Did they used to work on this machine?

This is a very important question, please answer.

Are the country codes ok? If you've bought disks abroad, they may have a different code, thus not working - copyright issue.

If you can't get a disk playing by starting PowerDVD, and then choosing "Open a disk", or what the button is, this thing is quite a mystery. Upgrading Windows or installing new hardware may cause this kind of problems, but that usually leads to a total non-function of the drive(s), i.e. they don't work / roll at all.

I would be inclined to think that it is about codecs. Uninstall and re-install PowerDVD. Which version do you have?

Must also ask, you haven't installed any torrents? And your PowerDVD is legitimate? No offense here.

Last edited:
country code on the disc are not a problem , thanks
one problem that I have i cant upgrade the internt explorer to 10 come up a error every time
dont know if that effects anything
consider no video program what so ever will run a normal dvd from the direct dvd start when inserted

The direct disk start = autoplay not working is known, but can you start a disk from within PowerDVD? That is, start PowerDVD, then click the "Open a disk" or "Play a disk". Does that work?

About IE10, what's the error code you get?

I would suggest you run a full scan with your Antivirus program, plus a run with Malwarebytes. May be, you have some boogies there. No one never knows what they can do.

And please, do answer the question Digerati made, If it earlier worked on this machine. It's very important to know.

Best wishes, in all ways and aspects. Hope we get it working.

power dvd now removed
total media replaced as this works from the internal select at last something
yes it worked on a old install but that crashed and i had to repair with a update some months ago
so the earlier version wont be of use

I'm glad you got it to work at least a bit better. :)

Usually, if you have a crash or other severe problems, it's best to re-install the whole system, my recommendation is to re-format the disk, and start from nil. Very often it is, although taking time and effort, faster and easier than fighting with problems for days or weeks. One should have important files saved on another disk, preferably external, or at least on a separate partition, so as to be able to clear the Windows system disk without loosing own files and info. A re-installation of Windows is inevitable, in near or far future.

Anyway, do make the scans. It's never a bad thing to do.

And I, I will study the autoplay issue.

Back