Windows 7 Autoruns missing entry

JimL

OK, I should have known to be more careful when I removed some entries from autoruns. It is so maddening to have every software company on Earth trying to stick something on my computer and auto run it. Yes, they often do it without asking. Or ask about something else, then stick their junk in secretly.

Anyway I didn't recognize a couple files that should be auto starting and removed them.

I've read that Autoruns will add anything that's running to the list. Not true. Still, is it possible to ADD something to Autoruns manually?

Jiml

Yes, provided that you know the exact format of the entry together with any required parameters. The best way to use autoruns in the circumstances you describe is to just uncheck the run box next to the entry to test the effect and to ensure you've got it right. After a time of testing you can permanently delete the entry when you are confident it is ok to do so.

You mean Autoruns, like Cds and DVDs, not Autostart = programs starting automatically when Windows starts?

Always reminding there are no stupid questions, this might be one... :redface:

Yes, provided that you know the exact format of the entry together with any required parameters. The best way to use autoruns in the circumstances you describe is to just uncheck the run box next to the entry to test the effect and to ensure you've got it right. After a time of testing you can permanently delete the entry when you are confident it is ok to do so.

So where is the file that needs adjusting? I assume the format would be in the file. Of course if the developers have gone down the "proprietary" path and coded everything under encryption, it's not worth the effort.

I've been into computers since before "PC" hit the market, and have protocols hanging out my ears - including some actual machine language programming before I moved to assembler. I think I already indicated that I screwed up by not using a "time of testing". It just gets tiresome after so many decades and I get sloppy.

Autoruns removes the items from registry entries, and they are now gone, do you remember what entries you need back? If we know which ones, we can probably replace it using out systems as reference.

Doing a restore might replace the entries..

You mean Autoruns, like Cds and DVDs, not Autostart = programs starting automatically when Windows starts?

Always reminding there are no stupid questions, this might be one... :redface:
I'm talking about an app called Autoruns.

Autoruns will only allow enable/disable/delete entries. Once deleted you will need yo manually re-enter them using something like regedit.

Or perhaps wouldn't simply uninstalling and then reinstalling or even just reinstalling the program with the missing entry over top of itself maybe set things right again?

I agree with Trouble. Uninstall and reinstall, only be careful not to uninstall personal settings, if that option is given, and you want to keep those settings.

The hard way could be to simply reinstall, no uninstall, that is, but it may fail or delete your settings.

Back