Windows 7 Black Screen after booting up

airdale91

I just got a new HDD (a solid state drive). I went through the first part of the install and then after it rebooted, it load up to the "starting wondows", stays like that for a few minutes and then it disappears and I just have a black screen. Nothing happens after that. I haven't even completed the rest of the install.

I have my 2 extra HDD's disconnected. I've unplugged the extra monitors from the back.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi airdale,
have you checked that the new drive is seen by the bios? I guess you already tried this and then went on to boot from the windows 7 disk?

Yes, Bios sees the drive. It lets me install the OS onto the drive, at least the first part. It's when it reboots to finish the install that it happens.

Sorry I should have asked before but could you list name and make of components used. Also try checking with the SSD's web-site as it might have helpful information.

MSI K9A2 Platinum AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200 Brisbane 2.7GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor
4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Vertex 2 SSD
Windows 7 Pro (64bit)

Windows 7 Pro (64bit)

Thanks.

Which storage config are you choosing in the bios? SATA or IDE? Try using IDE and also check for firmware updates here:

OCZ Technology

Sometimes it is hard to tell if the Windows install is just expanding files in memory, or actually writing them to the drive. It does seem though that when the reboot occurs, the install cannot find the hard drive. The FAQ seems to suggest Windows 7 should install fine on the drive, assuming it is working correctly.

Was the install able to partition and format the drive without complaining?

Back
Top Bottom