Windows 8 Black Screen After System Restore

Alwayssnarky

I have a hp envy running Windows 8.1. I recently ran a system restore, and ever since it has run the hp logo, then gone to a black screen and stayed there. Things I've tried:

Boot in safe mode: No change.
Startup Repair: Said it couldn't fix it, but I can't get to the log file to find out why (is there a way to access windows explorer from the startup repair menu? Maybe using the command prompt?)
System repair:Said there wasn't enough hard drive space.
Another system restore: Didn't work, blamed my antivirus. (McAfee)
Full system reset: Said there was a drive partition missing.

Does anyone know what I could try to resolve any of these? I have access to everything in the startup repair menu(f11), as well as the BIOS, but I'm not really sure where to go from there.

Do you know how full the HDD actually is? Also have you tried booting from your windows 8.1 install disk but instead of installing click repair instead? Another option would be to boot into the advanced boot options (same place you find safe mode) and click 'Last good known configuration'.

It is important for us to know if your 8.1 is an updated from 8.0 version or an original 8.1 install.

Why were you attempting a Restore and is there anything else on the black screen, like a cursor of some kind? If you are running an updated to 8.1 system, is the restore point after the update?

When you boot into Safe Mode, you have the option to do so but it only has the same black screen? Are you sure you are booting into safe mode?

Using the Command prompt to access the log file is a possibility.

Ok. In order:
Updated. Adware got on my computer, and antivirus wasn't removing it. No cursor, just the black screen. Yeah, the restore is after the update. Exactly, although I have to use the command prompt to enable it. I'm pretty sure it worked, the command prompt says what the site says it should. I used "bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal".

One thing you might try, if you can, is to get a copy of the BCD store to check. You can send it to a flash drive, or another partition, as long as you know what the partition letters are.

bcdedit /enum all > G:\bcdtext.txt

This will send the readout to the G: drive as the text file bcdtext.txt. Use whichever Drive letter you need. If you need to find the volume letters for the drives while in a command prompt, use Diskpart and the list volumes command:

Diskpart
lis vol
exit

Then check for the drive letter of your flash drive, or other partition. You can also copy the log you mentioned using the copy command to the same drive letter.

There are many folks running into the Black Screen problem. Up to now, I have not seen any information that would help track down the problem or perhaps problems causing the situation.

Ok. I'm attaching the log file, maybe you'll be able to figure it out from there. Worst case scenario, would there be another way to reset my hard drive to basic settings? Or delete some files from my computer so I could try a system repair? Could I disable the antivirus via command prompt somehow?

Attachments

• bcdtext.txt
    6.4 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:
From your readout, I do not see an entry for the Firmware boot manager.

I would suggest you try running a Bootrec /RebuildBCD from the Command Prompt Window.

It may be missing because of the way you are booted currently, no way for me to really tell. If you want me to check, tell me exactly how you are getting into the Command Prompt Window, for instance, booting from an Install Flash Drive, or a Recovery Drive, or the Built-in Windows Recovery options?

I just got into the Advanced Recovery options by starting in Windows, but the system rebooted and gave me the option to start in Safe Mode with Command Prompt. I had to sign in like always, so that is where I am currently.

A listing of the bcdedit /enum firmware command shows the following. I have highlighted the parts you do not seem to have, so I suggest you run the Bootrec /rebuildbcd command and see if it makes any difference.

Info below does not appear pertinent.

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /enum firmware

Firmware Boot Manager
---------------------
identifier {fwbootmgr}
displayorder {bootmgr}
{13093170-4edb-11e3-8278-806e6f6e6963}
timeout 0

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume5
path \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
integrityservices Enable
default {current}
resumeobject {93c4a0a2-40ee-11e3-845a-e199de5c7dd6}
displayorder {current}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 30

Firmware Application (101fffff)
-------------------------------
identifier {13093170-4edb-11e3-8278-806e6f6e6963}
device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume1
path \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
description Windows Boot Manager

Last edited:
How would I go about booting into the recovery drive?(My computer has an internal one). I've googled it, but I didn't find anything helpful.
EDIT: I tried running it from the recovery option, and it told me "successfully scanned websites installations. Total identified windows installations:0. The operation completed successfully." My computer had windows pre-installed when I got it, if that matters.

Last edited:
A Recovery Drive is something you were supposed to make when you got your system. If you have any installation media, or some other bootable Recovery media, you might be able to run that.

You may be able to find something you can download or get something from the OEM if you do not have anything.....

Another option might be to run a bcdboot c:\windows command from the command prompt you have access to. It should run, but I have not tested for that environment. Be aware, it might cause you to loose the ability to boot into the Recovery from the Built-in system, which would be dangerous without the media referred to earlier.

The template for the BCD store is kept in the Windows directory on your hard drive. When booting in Recovery modes, there is a slight chance that drive letter has been changed so you may want to check it first with the diskpart command. Verify the Windows partition is C: or use what is showing as the Windows partition.

Diskpart
lis vol
exit

I have a drive labeled as "recovery d". My computer doesn't have a built in cd drive, so I'm pretty sure the backup would be stored there.

I agree, there is probably a Factory Image in that partition which might have been used to reset your system back to factory specifications.

There are normally two ways to use the image. The first is a OEM process that usually includes holding some key while turning on the power. Have you tried that? In some cases, the 8.1 update process broke that, but it may still work.

The other way is to use the Windows 8 Reset, which I think you said you tried. Depending on when you did the update, that may or may not work.

If neither of those work, then we are back to needing Recovery Media. You do not know anyone that has a functioning Windows 8 system? I suppose a Recovery Drive made on another system will not allow you to sign in on a different system, so that may not work. But install media will, Windows 8 or 8.1 hopefully

Last edited:
I have not had any luck using the WinPE to boot and use Bootrec.exe. It boots fine, but does not seem to offer any more options than what you are seeing.

If someone I know has a laptop with 8.1, would I be able to take out my hard drive, and plug it into their computer to set up an 8.1 partition? Or otherwise use their computer to format it and reinstall 8.1?

That is a hard question, so not exactly sure how to answer.

I did finally get my system into the normal recovery options. I thought it was working correctly, but I ran a reagentc /info command from the command prompt window and it showed as Disabled. I then ran a reagentc /enable and it was working again. If this part is working correctly, you should be able to boot into the recovery image and have all the recovery options available.

Last edited:
Must be Murphy's law.

Reagentc is in the Windows\System32 folder. So try this.

C:\Windows\System32\reagentc /info

Or go to the System32 folder and then run it.

Wherever you are, try the bootrec /rebuildbcd command, maybe one will run.

Back