Windows 10 Black Screen after Welcome Screen

ThisIsMyName

So, my pc worked normally until today, and now when I start it, it reaches the welcome screen with the blue Windows 10 logo and the white dots that rotate in a circle, then the screen becomes black and my monitor says "No signal". Things that I've tried so far in Safe Mode and none have worked: disabling all non-microsoft services and all startup items, resetting bios settings to default, typing "chkdsk /r" and "sfc /scannow" in cmd, using system restore to restore to an earlier point, the restore was successful however the problem still persists, making a full scan with Malwarebytes and Microsoft Safety Scanner, both said 0 problems found, uninstalling my graphics driver and trying to reinstall it, that failed since the installer says that I cannot install it in Safe Mode. I'm out of solutions, can someone help me?

In safe mode you are using a different display driver, that is why you have a picture on your screen.

Maybe going back to safe mode, download the latest driver for your video card from the site of the manufacturer, remove the currently installed driver and install the new one

Last edited:
I removed the driver I had, which was nvidia's 368.81, but when I try to install it again, the installer says that the Visual Studio C++ Redistributable Packages cannot be installed in Safe Mode, I'm stuck here

Motherboard is asus z87-k socket 1150, processor is intel i7 4770k, video card is gtx 770, memory is kingston ddr3 1600mhz 4X8gb, hdd and ssd respectively are seagate st2000dm001 2TB and adata sx900 256 GB, optical drive is asus drw-24f1st, psu is 600 W

Just a thought, when you start safe mode with network and you right click on that video adapter and go for Let Windows find a driver what will happen then?

I don't know a solution for your "installer says that the Visual Studio C++ Redistributable Packages cannot be installed in Safe Mode"
Anybody else?

The device manager says that the best driver is already installed for my device, even though I have no nvidia driver installed, also, "AMDA00 Interface Driver" under System Devices and "Generic PnP Monitor" under Monitors have a yellow triangle which they didn't have before today, though when I try to update them it tells me that they're up to date as well

Hi,
Did this computer ever run W10 without this problem? If so how long ago?

Did you upgrade this computer to W10 from an earlier version of Windows? Which one; e.g: Win7, Win8/8.1/8.1.1 etc.? Or did you install W10 on this computer when you built it or purchased it?

We still need more information on your problem. In the meantime, why don't you try an older inexpensive Video card you can swap out with the NVidia card just for testing; here's one under $50 from Newegg: ASUS Radeon HD 5450 DirectX 11 EAH5450 SL/512MD3/MG 512MB 32-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 Plug-in Card Graphic Card 650 MHz Core - Newegg.com
The Radeon HD5450 chipset works well with a lot of Motherboards, and this is an ASUS implementation of that chipset so it should be even more compatible with your ASUS Mobo. This is still cheaper than a $100 trip to your local computer repair shop. If your problem abates with this card and it should, then you have something else wrong with your computer, and that could be failed hardware (such as 1 or more faulty RAM Sticks or Hard Drive), windows system file corruption in the registry, or virus/malware issues. You haven't tested your hardware, nor scanned for viruses in what's been discussed so far. And you haven't tried the full complement of software repairs such as Windows reset/reinstallation. The key here is to FIRST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL YOUR PERSONAL DATA (LIBRARY FOLDERS) BACKED UP TO EXTERNAL MEDIA BEFORE ANY TESTING OR TROUBLESHOOTING BEGINS!!

Here's a link to do the hardware testing and includes software troubleshooting as well: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar. Take a look at my POST #6. You might want to print this out on a different working computer as it's 6-8 pages long. Then bring it over back to your self-built rig and begin working on it with these instructions in front of you. Have patience, it's going to take 2-3 days to a week to do all of this if you're able and willing to do so.:blow:

Post back if you have any questions along the way. We are here 24x7x365.
Best,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

I don't have the same board as you but had a problem very similar to yours. What I had to do was go into my bios and set my OC dram settings manually. I won't say that will fix your problem but it might be worth a try.

Have patience, it's going to take 2-3 days to a week to do all of this if you're able and willing to do so.:blow:

As soon as I read that I was like "2-3 days to a week? Fuck no!" so I decided to reinstall windows hoping , unfortunately that didn't help much, I can start my computer normally without using safe mode, but every time I try to install the graphics driver, either through Device Manager, Windows Update or the .exe installer from nvidia site, either my screen goes black during the installation and 10 seconds after the computer restarts, and then when it boots it's as if I have never tried to install the graphics driver, or the driver installs successfully but I get the black screen again, which only goes away if I uninstall the graphics driver. I tried changing my half-dvi half-vga cable with a hdmi one, that didn't help as well, the black screen was still present and the rectangle-like artifacts didn't disappear either, it even made it worse since with my half-dvi half-vga cable I can put the resolution to 1280X1024 max, but with the hdmi one the max is 800X600, no idea why (for reference, my monitor max is 1920X1080). I also noticed from the monitor settings that my monitor can only run at 64 hz, even though it's a 60 hz monitor, and unchecking "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" doesn't show any additional hz options, is this related to the graphics driver issue? I also tried to install old versions of the nvidia graphic driver and to update my bios version, unfortunately nothing helped. To answer your question, I upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 as soon as Windows 10 became available, and I've never had that black screen problem before. So, I guess it's not a software problem but a hardware one?

Well, the old saying in IT is "no pain-no gain!". How bad do you want your problem resolved?:question: Based on your post above, you spent more than 5 min. troubleshooting it so far. I'm not the fastest guy in the world, however, I've solved problems during my 45 years in computers that were deemed unsolvable by my bosses, my teachers, and my co-workers for some of the biggest companies in the world. Not tooting my own horn, but this has been well documented in my industry. That being said, not everyone is willing to go through the work necessary it often takes to solve tough problems. I always encourage my students and even my competitors to go the extra mile and any problems can then be resolved.:ohyea:

You haven't opted my GPU card swap-out, and that's ok, but that would go a long way to narrowing down your problem. Also, you mentioned you had a 600W PSU but not the Make/Model. Is it at least Gold-Certified Plus? If not, you could have power problems. Many users here with flaky problems such as BSODs, Black Screens (such as yours), freezes, crashes, hangs, etc. often find out that if they scrimped on the PSU when building their PC, down the road many if not all of these problems can be attributed to poor power-supply problems. In self-built PCs, no component is MORE important in your PC than the PSU; not the Mobo, the CPU chip, or even the GPU card or RAM. Poor quality power can cause a plethora of problems in PCs, as it's the common-thread component that conducts electricity to every single component in your PC, even your fans. There are many articles and books on just this subject if you're interested, post back for links.

At this point, I'd agree with you that you are having multiple problems that appear to be hardware based. You might consider re-speccing your components and make sure you have a high-quality PSU that can handle all of your EXISTING components. Many users upgrade components such as storage (adding multiple hard drives), multiple GPU cards, etc. but forget to upgrade their PSUs. There are volumes written about this if you sniff around the PC building industry a bit. Post back your PSU specs, and we can give you a quick "Go-or-no-Go" on what you are using. If we don't like what you have or haven't heard of the brand, we'll recommend you replace it with a name brand high-quality. Top-end PSUs run from about $120-$400 US or more. Once we get to the bottom of the PSU question, we can turn to your Mobo and other components and try to figure out if 1 or more of them has failed.:waah: This is quite likely as you said in the beginning of your post that your computer was running normally until recently.

Get back to us and we'll advise you further.
Best,:encouragement:
<<<BBJ>>>

My psu is Coolermaster Thunder 600 W, how do I know if it's Gold-Certified Plus? I haven't added or removed any components from my pc since I bought it, other than using my warranty to replace my gpu because I spilled water on it and it got burned. I tried entering my bios and setting the primary graphic card to the integrated intel one, and I connected my vga cable, which was connected to the video card, to the motherboard, and now I can use my monitor max resolution of 1920X1080, also the blue rectangle artifacts are gone, does that mean that the issue is in the gpu?

Back
Top Bottom