Windows 7 Black Screen With 7 Ultimate Upgrade??

micoman

I know there are other "black screen" posts but nothing I have found seems the same as this?

1. I get the black screen and pointer after Windows 7 Starts.

2. I can press control-Alt-Del to get to the task manager.

3. I can get it working in Safe mode with network support ( I would not be here now!)

4. I have downloaded and installed new Nvidia 7300 LE graphics drivers

I have soOOOO many programs installed I dont want to have to do a new install so would appresiate any help

;)

Hi micoman,
have you tried running sfc/scannow in your command prompt? If you can run task manager you should be able to get it running by clicking on 'new task' and typing 'cmd' then enter.. Once you see the command prompt box type sfc/scannow and hit enter.

Do you show any problems in Device Manager with any devices?

You might try using the msconfig.exe to set Boot Base video, which can also be done from the F8 boot page possibly under advanced options.

Are you using 2 monitors? What video device do you have?

Both Kemical and Saltgrass have very good suggestions.

i would disable everything in msconfig except for your anti-virus software, spyware detector, and personal firewall if you have one.

A free personal firewall can be downloaded here:

PC Tools Firewall Plus - Free Firewall Download

How many programs and services are running in Task Manager?

Hi micoman,
have you tried running sfc/scannow in your command prompt? If you can run task manager you should be able to get it running by clicking on 'new task' and typing 'cmd' then enter.. Once you see the command prompt box type sfc/scannow and hit enter.

When I try this it says - "You must be administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility" - I'm the only account holder with no password?

Both Kemical and Saltgrass have very good suggestions.

i would disable everything in msconfig except for your anti-virus software, spyware detector, and personal firewall if you have one.

A free personal firewall can be downloaded here:

PC Tools Firewall Plus - Free Firewall Download

How many programs and services are running in Task Manager?

Task Manager is running
csrss
explorer
taskmgr
winlogon

Tried disabling everything and still the same?

Do you show any problems in Device Manager with any devices?

You might try using the msconfig.exe to set Boot Base video, which can also be done from the F8 boot page possibly under advanced options.

Are you using 2 monitors? What video device do you have?

I saw Boot Base Video - what does that do? Also what other settings do I use?

Only one 17" TFT screen using DVI with a Nvidia GeForce 7300 LE card

Thanks for EVERYONES replies, but its looking more like a total install as I need my PC working soon:frown:

Is there not a boot file list that I can show you that shows whats going wrong? Im sure ive seen it somewhere?

Boot base video just allows it to boot to a normal windows with the a basic resolution so no drivers are involved.

Maybe if you are in safe mode, uninstall the video display and let windows refind it.

If you can start task manager, check the applications and processes and maybe start picking some to shut down. Will task manager allow you to log off and back on?

Someone the other day had an older monitor and it would boot black and only wake up after putting the computer to sleep and waking it up.

Do you happen to have another monitor you could try?

You should also have many more processes running in task manager, can't figure that one out.

Do you happen to have another monitor you could try?

You should also have many more processes running in task manager, can't figure that one out.

I tried a 15" CRT I have with no difference?

Also tried removing graphics drivers and re-starting, but the same

Is it worth me doing a complete new install or go back to vista for now?

Any other ideas?

Could you please fill out your computer computer specs in the UserCP link located at the left hand side at the top of the page.

This could be usefully for us to diagnose.

When I try this it says - "You must be administrator running a console session in order to use the sfc utility" - I'm the only account holder with no password?

Try right-clicking on command prompt and running as administrator...

You stated

Also tried removing graphics drivers and re-starting, but the same

If you removed the graphic drivers, then it should have picked up and said found be hardware and installed the default Windows graphic driver.

But yet you said you had the latest drivers from Nvidia.

Didn't you get this option?

You stated

If you removed the graphic drivers, then it should have picked up and said found be hardware and installed the default Windows graphic driver.

But yet you said you had the latest drivers from Nvidia.

Didn't you get this option?

I can only tell in safe mode that it is using the windows drivers. If I install the new Nvidia drivers in safe mode it says installed ok but when i re-start normally then i cant tell which drivers are being used as im getting the black screen?

I'm going to have to do a total new install now as i dont have time for this. i will let you know how i get on.

thanks for everyones help

Yes, it's very likely that will fix the problem unless it's really a hardware issue.

I just can't imagine how an operating system could cause hardware failure.

Good luck:)

Up And Working!!

Its up and working on Windows 7!!!!!!!!!!:)

Now, what programs did I have installed?:confused:

Thanks for everyones help;)

Back
Top Bottom