Windows 7 Black screen with only the pointer

Judacator

Problem Fixed, I needed to take the second DVI cable out of my card so it would reconize all teh normal things first as soon as i took the cable out and restarted everything loaded nice a beautifuly thanks for the help tho.

my setup:
Windows XP 32 bit upgrading to Windows 7
Asus M3A79-T Deluxe motherboard
AMD Phenom 9850 X4 black edition
Asus 4890 Graphics card (not thte TOP edition)
Samsung 2693HM Monitor
Samsung F1 1TB Hardrive
Samsung CD Drive
OCZ platinum DDR2 (8GB) RAM
Rosewill SD Card reader

I need Help I have been Fighting for three days now with this, Ok First I Downloaded the student windows 7 well that was a mess, getting the ISO, well thats fixed next I installed Windows 7 everything seemed great and I typed in my username and cd key and loaded windows that was awsome next it wanted to restat so I did but when it restarted it only came up in a black screen and with the pointer of the mouse on the screen. I have thought to download new drivers for the Graphics card andmabey the monitor but havent the foggiest idea on where to begin to fix the problems thanks
right now I am in Safe mode with networking which is great.

Last edited:
Hi, I posted this same question 2 days ago and no one responded but here are some things that worked for me:

First, did you download all of the windows updates? I found that the one for IE8 with the last digits 364 is the one causing the problem for me. Uninstall it from safe mode and restart. That fixed it for me.

But if that does not work, from the black screen, control-alt-delete, go to task manager, manually run explorer.exe. Your desktop should appear.

Good luck!

Back