Windows Vista Boot Problem (Blank Screen & Cursor Only)

U

Unregistered

When starting my laptop (Dell Dimension 9100, 1GB RAM, 1.8GHZ Centrino, GeForce 6800 Go) I get the BIOS screen and the standard Vista loading screen. However when Vista finishes loading I am left with a totally black screen and a mouse cursor. No background pic, no explorer etc. I don't really know what to do. Safe Mode give me the same result, Vista repair CD does nothing, and I'd rather not reformat. Anyone got some ideas? Doesn't seem to be a hardware issue.

Tony

Boot problems

No issues man this is not with u , but with all other vista users, its simply bcoz of the high end grafics, do not do anything just wait for updates, i am also in the same boat

I have same issue. I don't have resolve this issue but i try to open exploer.exe in windows folder everytyhing it come back. But i can't fix it. Wait for another person to fix it.

Same problem!

Hey I have the eact same problem... so I have to wait for what? I thought the problem was that i installed another OS in a partition...

please help me if someone can...

mine is a desktop lenovo, 3Gz P4 1.5Gz, 150GB HD, Dont know how much video

I am getting the exact same problem. I just finished installing Ubuntu and ever since I just put in the partition (before I even installed ubuntu) Windows wouldn't start and gave me the blank screen. I also tried getting to the Recovery Console, with no such luck either. F11 and F8 don't respond. Period. I have an HP Pavillion a1730n that I purchased just last week. Geforce 8600gt card installed, but Windows won't work with that or my onboard graphics. If anyone has a solution for this problem, please send me an e-mail at [email protected]
Thanks!

Yeah I'm having the same problem as well, right after my machine crashed. Not bloody happy, let me tell you.

i have the same thing happen about half of the time that i turn my laptop on... I just press alt+ctrl+delete and then press cancel on the blue screen and then it returns to the blank screen which then loads the regular screen with icons and everything. it sucks but i guess i'll just wait for updates too,....

vista black screen before welcome (just mouse pointer)

Hello all

ok, my vista was working fine then one day i decided to do a chkdks because it was running a little slow.

so i set it running and left it, came back to my computer 2 hr later and vista turned on the monitor and all i got was a black screen with a moveable cursor.

so i restarted.

vista loads fine until after the green loading bar, it refreshes the monitor to my chosen resolution but where the vista welcome sphere should be its just blank, my
HDD stops loading and all im left with is a moveable mouse pointer.

tried safe mode and i get the same thing

tried boot to last good config, same thing

i looked at the scandisk log and it spent a great deal of time "replacing invalid security id's with default id for file xxxx"

what do i do?

vista repair doesnt work either. i dont want to format because ive alot of important stuff on the drive.

help please

thankyou

i have a feeling nforce drivers are to blame but ive no way of uninstalling it at all

go back to safe mode, device manager, and remove the video drivers. if you can get to them.
reboot, windows should reload properly.
if that doesn't werk, pull the video card out , if indeed it is removeable, start the computer for a few secs, reinstall the video card, and boot again.
should fix it

cant get into safemode buddy, just the same thing as normal load, black screen with a mouse pointer. did remove the card n replace it but nothing has changed.

i think it could be the nforceIDE drivers, ive had problems like this before but not to this extent.

i dont see how a chkdsk can break a system, so annoying!

id also like to note that i can not access anything like task manager. nothing works at all, just me, my cursor and a black screen.

if all else fails i suppose id have to buy a new HDD and re-install

exact same problem here, black screen with cursor, safe mode is the same. what do we do:/ im gona have to buy a new hdd and re-install vista for now.....

what happens if you go into the bios and reset to factory defaults??

can you go to the computer makers website and get a recovery disk??

is there an f11 command on the very first boot page for the recovery??

Hi,

I have the same problem as you and it occured on the same day?! My computer experienced a power breakdown while it was running.

I also get the black screen when the logon screen should appear, the same thing for safe mode, last known good configuration,....

But I have also XP installed on another HDD so I still can use the computer. Maybe I can solve this via XP?

Thanks!

I've also found that pressing ctrl-alt-del and then choosing "Switch User" or "Log Out" and then clicking the User that's not loading sometimes helps.

Same Problem

Same problem here. Install of Vista Ultimate 64-bit and XP Pro.

Only for me, chkdsk ran automatically after I had shut down vista (and, installed updates I assume, I don't know for sure if it did, but it took a lot longer to shut down).

No solutions found here either.

I've solved this problem!

I also installed xp on my computer. In XP, go to the properties of the disc with Vista on it and use the error checking tool and check all options. After this process Vista started without any problems!

I hope this will also work for you!

Good luck!
Cliff

I'm having the same problem

I don't have xp on the same computer so that solution doesn't really help me.

Is there a way to uninstall the video driver from the command prompt? I would try that if i could figure out how to do it without being able to get into windows.

Back