Windows Vista Boot Problem (Blank Screen & Cursor Only)

Got my problem resolved.

First, it seems that different reason can cause this problem. My solution may not work for you.

Symptom:
1.Black screen after the green progress bar, before Vista Logo.
2.Mouse can move.
3.Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work.

Solution:
1.Reboot the machine
2.Keep hitting F8.
3.Choose 'Repair your computer'. 'Last know good' didn't work for me.
4.The first choice should be repair boot process or something the like. I tried. It found nothing.
5.Then I tried the second one, which should be system recovery or something the like. The one guarantee your documents will not get touched. I restored to something a couple days ago. It works good for me.

Root Cause:
I guess the reason is related to multi-account. I was trying to access files in another user's folder when I was in my account. Then windows gave some error message and tried to restart. When I restart, I got the problem.

I Have The Same Problem The Best Solution Is To Sue Microsoft - Till Then Send To The Authorised Tech - I Am Waiting For Results

I Have The Same Problem The Best Solution Is To Sue Microsoft - Till Then Send To The Authorised Tech - I Am Waiting For Results
Good luck with the first one. From what I've seen from reading most of these is the PC's in question don't have enough "horsepower" to run Vista in the first place. Just because you PC has a "Vista ready" sticker on it don't necessarily mean it can run it.

PS: I use the term Horsepower because I'm used to talking to my Dad that doesn't understand MHz, RAM & GB. Plus I think the term fits. :cool:
Just my 2 cents :D

Good luck with the first one. From what I've seen from reading most of these is the PC's in question don't have enough "horsepower" to run Vista in the first place. Just because you PC has a "Vista ready" sticker on it don't necessarily mean it can run it.

PS: I use the term Horsepower because I'm used to talking to my Dad that doesn't understand MHz, RAM & GB. Plus I think the term fits. :cool:
Just my 2 cents :D

That assumption is false about horsepower. When I had the problem, it was on a computer that had a Core 2 Duo E6420 (2.14 GHz), 2 GB Ram, and Geforce 7900 GS (factory overclocked). I highly doubt that my computer lacked the horsepower to run Vista, especially considering Vista was running fine on it for a few months.

It may have happened on some computers that lacked in power but it's definitely not confined to weak computers.

Ya, exact same problem, it has happened to me before.
I am screwing around on the net, watching a movie w/e then out no where the computer stops working, everything stops responding then I get the blue screen telling me windows is shutting down to save my computer. I turn the comp back on and the Chkds or w/e runs, deletes files and what not, then the loading screen followed by a black screen with a mouse pointer...
Please help...safe mode does NOT work, none of the boot options nothing.
It is a new comp...an Insipron 1525 Special Edition.
Seriously if Microsoft is going to make an OS at least have them make it right ffs...

I'm currently having the same problem with a Dell Inspiron 1525. I'll try some of these solutions..

I had this problem this morning with Vista!!

SOLUTION : from my tech guy at Toshiba!!

- switch of laptop.
- Remove battery.
- Hold down power button for a few seconds.
- Re insert battery.
- Power Up and VOILA!!!

I'm in the game again....

Good Luck :)

i found a temporary fix for it, if you have windows vista, bring up task manager (alt, ctrl, del then click on "start task manager") when the windows comes up click on "file", "new task",....when the run windows comes up,type explorer.exe........and randomly the desktop appears as normal...for me anyway

That assumption is false about horsepower. When I had the problem, it was on a computer that had a Core 2 Duo E6420 (2.14 GHz), 2 GB Ram, and Geforce 7900 GS (factory overclocked). I highly doubt that my computer lacked the horsepower to run Vista, especially considering Vista was running fine on it for a few months.
Your PC must be running Vista 32bit.
It may have happened on some computers that lacked in power but it's definitely not confined to weak computers.

If you read my post you'll see that the "PCs" in question are the PCs that came with XP and were "Vista Ready". Most of them could NOT run vista well.
They had 2Gz or lower, 1Gb of RAM or less and on board Video Card. That's the PCs I was referring to.

dont listen to all these morons just take to your dealer will set it right in two day it cost me Rs 1000 though. got all the data back. they will format after retrieving all data - couldnt retrieve myself after trying all methods thouht all data was lost --- ooooooffffff i got it back thank got and those lenovo dealer techs... i dont mind the 1000 though ...i now have a back up on cds i am still using vista u see....so ....... no use waiting for updates - better sue microsoft.

lol he says dont listen to these morons...yet he paid... oh my god... anyways im running windows vista on an HP Media Center that came with Vista... I had power loss then after restart the black screen. Tried restore, tried fixing bootup... tried all safe modes... I have so many pictures of my family stored on here that is crazy... if i cant get it to work soon ill have to pull the drive to remove all pictures... I read about the removing the battery fix but i have a regular pc not a laptop...any ideas...

Read the forums well b4 u post!
i found this on a previous topic and solved my problem, so here it is:
"I have your solution, it is registy problem, boot up your pc, when it stops at the black screen with 'my documents' open (or not) hit cntr+alt+delete and then task manager, run a new task called regedit, now in the left hand collum navigate to HKEY_local machine/software/microsoft/WindowsNT/Currentversion/winlogon. now in the right hand panel click on shell. The data value should only be explorer.exe so delete anything after that, restart and thats it"
Hope that helps...

I've got the same problem. And not any of the solutions given here worked. CtrlAltDelete isn't working. I don't have an option like going back in time. This is the pc of my boyfriend.. while he is in India for 3 weeks. Fortunately he installed XP, but the error-fixing solution on page 2 didn't work either.... Why are we all having trouble..?

Checkdisk for me is finding corrupted file system which most likely means the disk is failing. This makes sense that any disk maintenance is causing this problem. FYI, vista automatically runs defrag on a scheduled basis, so this could be why this is all of a sudden 'appearing' for people.

I read an article last year that estimated that disk failure rate for new disks is 1 out of 10. When you run scan disk and it turns up bad clusters or orphaned files, it means that a disk failure is probably. Always a good time to call the manufacturer and get a new disk.

If you are getting this problem there are a few things you can do. One of which is to remove UAC which does lower your security but as long as you have an internet security suite it doesn't really change much. Also when you get tot that screen you can click ctrl alt del and do log out and then log back in and you will get a normal screen.

~Girl Tech

I'm also having the same problem with my daughters PC. After the boot-up screen the display goes black with only the mouse pointer. There is nothing that can be done as nothing can be seen. It is the same in "safe mode" and in "low res safe mode" (found by pushing F8 on start-up).

Using a live bootup CD with windows PE, I have managed to save all the important data on the hard disk. I have also performed a CHKDSK (which found and fixed some issues) and I changed the nVida graphics card to a quite basic one. Nothing has changed!

My next step is to reinstall Vista and all the programms again - this will take a long time...

Has anyone else found a cure to this problem that does not involve a reload of Vista?

Thanks, David

Re: Got my problem resolved.

First, it seems that different reason can cause this problem. My solution may not work for you.

Symptom:
1.Black screen after the green progress bar, before Vista Logo.
2.Mouse can move.
3.Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work.

Solution:
1.Reboot the machine
2.Keep hitting F8.
3.Choose 'Repair your computer'. 'Last know good' didn't work for me.
4.The first choice should be repair boot process or something the like. I tried. It found nothing.
5.Then I tried the second one, which should be system recovery or something the like. The one guarantee your documents will not get touched. I restored to something a couple days ago. It works good for me.

Root Cause:
I guess the reason is related to multi-account. I was trying to access files in another user's folder when I was in my account. Then windows gave some error message and tried to restart. When I restart, I got the problem.

THANKS ALOT THIS worked!!!

I had this problem this morning with Vista!!

SOLUTION : from my tech guy at Toshiba!!

- switch of laptop.
- Remove battery.
- Hold down power button for a few seconds.
- Re insert battery.
- Power Up and VOILA!!!

I'm in the game again....

Good Luck :)

This worked for me -- thanks!!!

Back