Insider Preview Bought mine today

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Help and Support' started by Trouble, May 31, 2015.

1. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

Pre-ordered Windows 10 Pro OEM today.
    Supposedly available 08/31/2015 about a month after the rumored RTM in late July.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832588491&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6157437&SID=iacsgqb52m00xkod00053
    Since Microsoft still seems a bit vague and elusive when it comes to pinning them down on pricing and release dates, I figured I'd strike while the iron was hot.
    I guess we'll see how things progress.

2. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

If it is free for the first year... why? Surely, you aren't worried about the situation we experienced with the Windows 8 release... ;)

I have decided to wait some time after the official release, possibly nine months, before making a decision. Right now I am just not interested in moving to a new OS like Windows 10.

3. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

IDK....
    Just dumb I guess.
    Since the release is scheduled for the end of July to Manufacturers I assume that the General Availability Release will be soon thereafter but who knows when exactly. And.....
    Since I have no idea what we'll actually get our hands on, in the forum of that release, as to whether we'll see an ISO available and if it will be "Upgrade Only" like I recall was the case with Windows 8.....
    I just thought...... what the heck, might as well bite the bullet and have something in hand, that I can actually do something with.
    And in the 90 days between now and then, I'll hope that all those things become clearer.
    I love me some "free", but I've found......
    especially when it comes to Microsoft, free doesn't usually mean what we might think.

As far as
    I have to.
    I still work on the damn things and all the new ones after July, will likely be packing Windows 10 in some form or another.

4. Joe S

Joe S Excellent Member

If they want Windows 10 to be a success they better get busy and get the bugs fixed soon. Especially for the free upgrades for people who aren't very knowledgeable about PCs. The upgrade process is iffy just from different builds of Windows 10. Imagine the mess with older hardware and going from Windows 7 and 8 to Windows 10. Windows 7 runs fine for my needs.
    Joe

5. MikeHawthorne

MikeHawthorne Essential Member

Hi

I'm still planning on reinstalling my Windows 8 install clean, and then updating for Free?
    That's the way I understood it will work.

Am I wrong?

I'll wait until I know that the new build is solid but a few weeks after it goes live we should have a pretty good idea about it, especially since I'll still be testing at that time.

Mike

6. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

Nope.
    I think you're right.

7. Sonny

Sonny Fantastic Member

I can't remember where I seen it but it said windows insider would release it and you could upgrade from your windows preview that you are running. I hope that is true. I will wait and see before I buy Windows 10.

8. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

9. davehc

davehc Microsoft MVP
    Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

I have three family Laptops, all originally windows 7 OEM installations. They are currently running Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. I will be putting the OEMs back on all three and upgrading them all. (After making up to date images! lol)

10. Spirit Wolfe

Spirit Wolfe Well-Known Member

Greetings!

I am running notebooks with Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 8.1... I work on these too when I need to. However ... I do not intend to put Windows 10 on any notebooks that I do not feel comfortable with doing so. I have (and have been quite happy with) Windows 7 Ultimate on my notebook. My Mother's notebook, however, has Windows 8.1 (started with 8.0 and she started with 8.0 from an OEM copy from ASUS) and, of course, I did not realize when she started the process of accepting Micro$oft's "free" version of Windows 8.1 that it was incompatible (a.k.a. backwards compatible) with a true "update" process. Well, since she did that there was no "rollbacks" IFYKWIM... So, I had to find a comparable copy of Windows 8.1 that did not cost me 2/3 of a body to buy so that I can "fix" her computer. Because it took me a wild ride to figure out with "I-got-that-t-shirt-too" process that installing Windows 7 with the new BIOS that newer computers have today that it would not work.

Do not get me wrong, I would love to have the extra computers (or work for someone who does) to test out the latest versions of Microsoft's visions (and no that is not a typo :) of what the company assumes to be Windows OSes (this goes for Linux as well), but I cannot afford to have a computer tied up for that long. I need a working one myself that has no real glitches (that is not to say that every time I turn around I am running to put out the proverbial fire to get my Mother out of something she got herself into and cannot extract herself from, LOL, go figure...

Enough ranting...

I am content (at least for the present moment) with the Windows 8.1 and & 7 Ultimate that I do not want to progress to Windows 10 (for what I have been reading here in this forum) at least for a good 10 t0 18 months.

I do have a question, though...

How do I remove the Get Windows 10 taskbar reminder from my taskbar (and I do not mean just turning it off in the notifications :) ??? This question refers to both Windows 7 and 8.1, please... I tried using the Autoruns utility for my Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 and I could not find what to disable in (or to remove from) the registry so that I can disregard it altogether. Knowing my mother like I do she might download Win 10 and I will have to reinstall Win 8.1 all over again for her! o__O

Thanks & Cheers!

Spirit Wolfe

11. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member

I keep thinking about the Windows 10 license being good "for the life of the device". If you have OEM systems, it would not make a difference to those, but if you have non-OEM systems, especially older, I wonder if you would loose your license if it were to fail. I would not want to turn a Retail Windows 8.1 license into an OEM tied to one system.

I suppose I need to look for a copy of the EULA and see what it says. I really don't want to get into a situation again of having to keep track of multiple licenses for each system. Maybe Trouble has the best solution.. I did buy, back in the day, a Retail version of Windows 8.1 for that reason.

12. davehc

davehc Microsoft MVP

I doubt it, but an interesting thought. The OEM key is locked into the bios on most machines, as you know, so that is not a problem. I am sure, if you have a licence which you have paid for, there is no way that it can be overwritten. We are all surmising at the moment, but I think you will get a new key, or the Windows 10 will be automatically activated, as it is at present.

13. Trouble

Trouble Noob Whisperer

14. Sonny

Sonny Fantastic Member

I wonder if they are going to give a product key for it or will it just use the windows 8 key? Clean install is what I will be doing right a way. Hope it works.

15. Sonny

Sonny Fantastic Member

16. davehc

davehc Microsoft MVP

"The Key itself will be tied into the Windows Store"
    There are so many links in the proposed update instructions, that I thought it might be a good idea to bring them together. I have tried to eliminate contradicting statements. Read through if you are interested. For an example, regarding the above quote in the MS forum (NOT by an MS employee), this seems to be contradicted in the answer to question #2.
    This doc is all from MS blogs.

Attached Files:

17. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522 Essential Member