Windows 10 Bought mine today

If it is free for the first year... why? Surely, you aren't worried about the situation we experienced with the Windows 8 release... ;)

I have decided to wait some time after the official release, possibly nine months, before making a decision. Right now I am just not interested in moving to a new OS like Windows 10.

IDK....
Just dumb I guess.
Since the release is scheduled for the end of July to Manufacturers I assume that the General Availability Release will be soon thereafter but who knows when exactly. And.....
Since I have no idea what we'll actually get our hands on, in the forum of that release, as to whether we'll see an ISO available and if it will be "Upgrade Only" like I recall was the case with Windows 8.....
I just thought...... what the heck, might as well bite the bullet and have something in hand, that I can actually do something with.
And in the 90 days between now and then, I'll hope that all those things become clearer.
I love me some "free", but I've found......
especially when it comes to Microsoft, free doesn't usually mean what we might think.

As far as
Right now I am just not interested in moving to a new OS like Windows 10.
I have to.
I still work on the damn things and all the new ones after July, will likely be packing Windows 10 in some form or another.

If they want Windows 10 to be a success they better get busy and get the bugs fixed soon. Especially for the free upgrades for people who aren't very knowledgeable about PCs. The upgrade process is iffy just from different builds of Windows 10. Imagine the mess with older hardware and going from Windows 7 and 8 to Windows 10. Windows 7 runs fine for my needs.
Joe

Hi

I'm still planning on reinstalling my Windows 8 install clean, and then updating for Free?
That's the way I understood it will work.

Am I wrong?

I'll wait until I know that the new build is solid but a few weeks after it goes live we should have a pretty good idea about it, especially since I'll still be testing at that time.

Mike

I can't remember where I seen it but it said windows insider would release it and you could upgrade from your windows preview that you are running. I hope that is true. I will wait and see before I buy Windows 10.

Hi

I'm still planning on reinstalling my Windows 8 install clean, and then updating for Free?
That's the way I understood it will work.

Am I wrong?

I'll wait until I know that the new build is solid but a few weeks after it goes live we should have a pretty good idea about it, especially since I'll still be testing at that time.

Mike
I have three family Laptops, all originally windows 7 OEM installations. They are currently running Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. I will be putting the OEMs back on all three and upgrading them all. (After making up to date images! lol)

I have three family Laptops, all originally windows 7 OEM installations. They are currently running Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. I will be putting the OEMs back on all three and upgrading them all. (After making up to date images! lol)
I keep thinking about the Windows 10 license being good "for the life of the device". If you have OEM systems, it would not make a difference to those, but if you have non-OEM systems, especially older, I wonder if you would loose your license if it were to fail. I would not want to turn a Retail Windows 8.1 license into an OEM tied to one system.

I suppose I need to look for a copy of the EULA and see what it says. I really don't want to get into a situation again of having to keep track of multiple licenses for each system. Maybe Trouble has the best solution.. I did buy, back in the day, a Retail version of Windows 8.1 for that reason.

I doubt it, but an interesting thought. The OEM key is locked into the bios on most machines, as you know, so that is not a problem. I am sure, if you have a licence which you have paid for, there is no way that it can be overwritten. We are all surmising at the moment, but I think you will get a new key, or the Windows 10 will be automatically activated, as it is at present.

I wonder if they are going to give a product key for it or will it just use the windows 8 key? Clean install is what I will be doing right a way. Hope it works.

"The Key itself will be tied into the Windows Store"
There are so many links in the proposed update instructions, that I thought it might be a good idea to bring them together. I have tried to eliminate contradicting statements. Read through if you are interested. For an example, regarding the above quote in the MS forum (NOT by an MS employee), this seems to be contradicted in the answer to question #2.
This doc is all from MS blogs.

Attachments

• Untitled 1.pdf
    133.6 KB · Views: 602
Back