Windows 8 Box Appears on Start-up

Summers

Just the last couple of days I get this box appear on start-up - any idea what it is and how I can get rid of it? Doesn't seem to affect my laptop functioning normally:

upload_2015-6-20_15-32-51.png

Probably some program either running in the background or a program in the background that failed to complete.
If you have not installed anything recently hard to pin down. If something was installed recently or updated remove or try a restore to a date before this started.
Obviously if everything is running fine more a PITA than a problem

Thanks. I've stalled quite a lot recently as it's a new laptop. I've also done a lot of uninstalling too (after discovering loads of software advertised as FREE when they're not!). I can't pinpoint the date this started so restoring back to before then won't be possible. I guess if there's no solution, then, (hard to believe) I will have to put up with it! Cheers.

Hi

You could try running CCleaner and see it some of the software you uninstalled left something behind.
My guess is that's what is happening.

Something that your computer thinks should start isn't there anymore so the window pops up.

Run both the normal and the registry scans.

If you don't have CCleaner (and you should) you can get it here...
http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/59127/

CCleaner also has an interface that lets you decide what starts at boot.
You can disable things easily and re-enable them quickly as well.
If you can find what is trying to start you can just stop it from trying to load.

You can avoid issues like this in the future by running another free program called Revo Uninstaller.
It looks for all the leftover stuff when it does the uninstall.

Mike

Another option is to post your startup list as a screenshot... its a safe bet the cause is one of them as it always happens at boot time.

press [windows key] + [x] then press [t] and select "start up" tab.
Screenshot (32).png

"Mindspark Toolbar Platform" + "gb-installer-core" + "Pokki" are all Adware/PUP

First make a restore point !
Try to locate and un-install anything related to the above "programs" via Control Panel-Programs (and Features).
After that do a full scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and let it remove/quarantine everything it finds.

Report back if you have any problems and if these boxes/windows still appear.

OTT

Not sure Malwarebytes would be enough, I will still urge ADW and JRT as well.

Back
Top Bottom