Windows 7 Brand new machine, unexpected shutdowns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is why this is an incorrect. It's good for people in general and aspiring bsod analysts to know what's real and what's not. I'd imagine that the thread is visited by lots of people around the world, from search engines. The information should be accurate because it's a resource.

Here's my thread at MOTUNATION.com showing how I brought attention to a fault with their driver for years:

MOTUNATION • View topic - Traveler driver always bsod

And this is specifically from the crash dump as seen in the thread:

Code:
0: kd> lmvm motufwa
start    end        module name
924e0000  92554000   motufwa  T ([COLOR=Red]no symbols[/COLOR])           
    Loaded symbol  image file: motufwa.sys
    Image path: motufwa.sys
    Image  name: motufwa.sys
    Timestamp:        Mon Mar 08 12:15:33 2010  (4B9530B5)
    CheckSum:         0007B06B
    ImageSize:         00074000
    Translations:     0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0  0409.04e4
See how there are no symbols, yet the other information is still available? Microsoft doesn't have 3rd party symbols on their server. The information was pulled from the driver on the system, itself.

It is in the driver listing as well in the thread, like all other drivers:
Code:
924e0000 92554000   motufwa  motufwa.sys  Mon Mar 08 12:15:33 2010  (4B9530B5)
I don't mean any of this personally, of course. We'd be glad to have you around and analyzing crashes if you're still interested in doing so. All I'd really ask is that if you show advice, that you should be sure of it with facts and not speculative thinking. I don't really even intend that as a mod...basically only as another member on the site.

How can you say that the symbols were pulled from the driver on the system,itself when the information clearly states that no symbols were found. I have highlighted the area in case you missed it. It's just one more error in the comedy of errors and misinformation I have observed.

Your renaming of loaded drivers to improve stability is a joke, also, because it will have the opposite effect in most cases as I have already shown.

Last edited:
I highly take exception to your misquotes and crazy nonsense in every post you make.

I said, "The information was pulled from the driver on the system, itself."

I've turned the color green, bold, italic and underlined it for your extremely poor eyesight to be able to handle along with raising the font size too.

I will discuss with other mods and admins about a possible ban for you. I don't think you are possibly this dumb. What you're doing must be a purposely crafted campaign to basically try to make me look bad. I won't have it. Take your facts to another site if you are going to keep this up.

How about a little computing respect for me, when I was a large part in fixing the driver that had a major flaw since its inception for years, for one of the best audio interfaces a musician can possibly own?

Here is your original post:

Where do you think Microsoft gets the symbol table for third party software then, the only place is on the symbol server. It may be that Microsoft only puts it's symbols in your cache beacuse of copyright restrictions. They could be sued by the third part developers for disclosing this information. I am not wrong on any count here.

Here is why this is an incorrect. It's good for people in general and aspiring bsod analysts to know what's real and what's not. I'd imagine that the thread is visited by lots of people around the world, from search engines. The information should be accurate because it's a resource.

Here's my thread at MOTUNATION.com showing how I brought attention to a fault with their driver for years:

MOTUNATION • View topic - Traveler driver always bsod

And this is specifically from the crash dump as seen in the thread:

Code:
0: kd> lmvm motufwa
start end module name
924e0000 92554000 motufwa T (no symbols)
Loaded symbol image file: motufwa.sys
Image path: motufwa.sys
Image name: motufwa.sys
Timestamp: Mon Mar 08 12:15:33 2010 (4B9530B5)
CheckSum: 0007B06B
ImageSize: 00074000
Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4
See how there are no symbols, yet the other information is still available? Microsoft doesn't have 3rd party symbols on their server. The information was pulled from the driver on the system, itself.

It is in the driver listing as well in the thread, like all other drivers:
Code:
924e0000 92554000 motufwa motufwa.sys Mon Mar 08 12:15:33 2010 (4B9530B5)
I don't mean any of this personally, of course. We'd be glad to have you around and analyzing crashes if you're still interested in doing so. All I'd really ask is that if you show advice, that you should be sure of it with facts and not speculative thinking. I don't really even intend that as a mod...basically only as another member on the site.

The question is whether 3rd party symbols are on the symbol server or not. You say that my information is incorrect and try to prove it with an example where you claim you found a faulting driver. Well good for you for finding a faulting driver, I am sure that it is a testimony to the fact that you consider yourself great.

However, you have not given any proof that my statement is incorrect.

If there are no symbols, how can the symbols have been pulled from the driver on the system, itself? It doesn't make any sense. You have just contradicted yourself.

I will discuss with other mods and admins about a possible ban for you. I don't think you are possibly this dumb. What you're doing must be a purposely crafted campaign to basically try to make me look bad.

Just take a look at the beginning of this thread where you were trying to make me look bad and were thwarting my efforts to help the poster as you have done in all previous threads concerning bsod's.The campaign is to thwart anyone with more knowledge than you. I did not start this.

Where do you think Microsoft gets the symbol table for third party software then, the only place is on the symbol server. It may be that Microsoft only puts it's symbols in your cache beacuse of copyright restrictions. They could be sued by the third part developers for disclosing this information. I am not wrong on any count here

You only need to read this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbol_table to know that a symbol table can provide an advantage to gaining an understanding of the original software program. Thereby violating copyright restrictions.

Last edited:
Thanks!

We at Windows7Forums.com appreciate the education in the matter. I personally feel like I've almost been born again in relation to the computer field. I don't know how I ever got by without it.

I would like to echo TG's thoughts and would like to personally thank webscaper for his kind and courteous words and for sharing his considerable expertise which I'm sure will not only benefit the OP but the thousands of people who will undoubtedly read this thread and come to appreciate his unique methods of helping others.

I would like to echo TG's thoughts and would like to personally thank webscaper for his kind and courteous words and for sharing his considerable expertise which I'm sure will not only benefit the OP but the thousands of people who will undoubtedly read this thread and come to appreciate his unique methods of helping others.

Trouble, no one asked for your two cents. I don't need your sarcasm. The ops problem was Zone Alarm and was already solved. I have to wonder why he has remained quiet during this whole ordeal. It never ceases to amaze me that those who know the least are the first to open their mouth.

If you have been following the forum for the last month you would know that Torrentg has been thwarting my efforts at helping to solve Bsods. I joined the forum before he did. I only post when I know that I am right not like you and many others. If you take a look at my posts you will see that I am right most of the time. What right does he have to question my posts when they have been shown to be right.

Torrentg thinks that he is the greatest bsod analyst to ever grace the web. He stated so in TechSupportForum, which I realized after he began to try to thwart my efforts in this forum. I wanted to look at his record. I also found that he was banned from that forum for giving out contrary information in his posts. I did not know him prior to this forum. The question is did he honestly not know me?

The information in his posts is similar from post to post no matter what type of exception. Anyone can tell the op to update network drivers, graphic drivers, chipset drivers, and so on. Uninstall the ant-virus, Daemon tools because of sptd.sys and so forth. I have yet to see where this has actually solved anyones problem, yet he continues to accumulate
rep points. He does not have a deep understanding of computer concepts needed to resolve dumps. He does not even know what a stack is as he has stated earlier in this thread. One of the fundamental concepts needed in order to analyze a dump.

Many times faulting memory is a big contributor to the crash, yet he never has the person do a memory test. I have seen countless cases where memory is involved. In fact many bsod analysts will have the op do a memory test as a first step just to rule that out.

I did not start this as it may seem on the surface. It has cost me my membership in this forum, which I truly regret.

Last edited:
The reason why I direct others to download/install many drivers is not because I think they have been the actual cause. I look at each machine as if it were my own. I wouldn't have old drivers and for that reason, I can't in good conscience, leave users with them.

That attitude and helpfulness is why I have points.

Many times, it's the first thing I mention in the post that will fix things.

I've never said I was the greatest. I have, however, quoted H2S04 who had told me personally that he thinks I'm the "best of the best." I am greatly honored by that because in all my years, I've never spoken with anyone more knowledgeable about a wide range of issues, especially bsod, as him.

Again, we thank you for your comment and honesty in telling how you feel.

H2SO4, with his knowledge of os system internals, did not have much respect for so-called bsod analysts. I can remember on one occasion that he said to the op sarcastically "If you don't agree with me, then I will let someone else look at your problem". This during your stay at SevenForums. Many of his stickies in SevenForums were technically oriented and way above you and your colleagues expertise. Why he would even post them is beyond me. He was sarcastic on many occasions to many people. I wouldn't take his quote to heart.

He attempted to bring some respect to the forum. Failing that, he left abruptly and has not been heard from since.

Last edited:
He was a bsod analyst there lol.

Many of us will say that to OPs when they come for help, precise instructions are given, and then for some reason they don't want to follow.
I don't really do that and if I ever have, it's been on only one or two occasions. Usasma does that a lot and I think he is right for it when he does.

I learned most of what I know about bsod directly from H2S04 and our messages back and forth. Also the Sevenforums.com sticky threads he made. He's known as a legend amongst analysts.

Bend the facts any way you want, he did not have much respect for bsod analysts. His sole reason for being there was to bring some respect to the forum through his posts and stickies. He attempted to train you guys in os internals. It didn't work and he left.

Edit:

Basically he gave up. It was an exercise in futility.

Last edited:
I beg to differ ! He left posting is not because he gave up. SevenForum members know the reason. Most of the BSOD analyst i know respect him. You do need knowledge about Windows Internal to troubleshoot BSOD better it's not my words, Mark Russinovich has told this in his books and articles about Crash Dump analysis. I have no idea what point your trying to make here by insulting other members.

As an outside observer, I have read this entire thread and it has been more entertaining than when I used to watch the McLaughlin Group on PBS!

From what I can tell, it seems both sides have valid points, it basically has devolved into a giant urinating contest.

I have seen the help TG and CJ have done here and on other sites. I also appreciate what WS has to say also.

I am not a BSOD analyst in the least, nor do I claim to want to be one. I prefer to offer my help mostly on the hardware side, since that is what I know best.

I just hope that webscaper and all can let sleeping dogs lie now and let's move on.

I am not insulting anyone. I am telling you that crash dump debugging is way over your level of expertise. H2SO4 knew it. I know it. And anyone with a professional computer background knows it.

You will solve a few bsods here and there, but your techniques(not having a trained professional background) leave a lot to be desired.

Edit:
Anyone with a trained technical background would have reacted the same way as I have when being confronted by "know it alls" who have very little background in this field.

If you got a band of people together with the proper training, you wouldn't believe the results you would get with these dumps.

What I see is a band of "know it alls" who wallow in there incompetence because of their lack of experience.

H2SO4 saw the same thing. Hence his attempts to do something about it which were for naught.

Last edited:
I am not insulting anyone. I am telling you that crash dump debugging is way over your level of expertise. H2SO4 knew it. I know it. And anyone with a professional computer background knows it.

You will solve a few bsods here and there, but your techniques(not having a trained professional background) leave a lot to be desired.

Edit:
Anyone with a trained technical background would have reacted the same way as I have when being confronted by "know it alls" who have very little background in this field.

If you got a band of people together with the proper training, you wouldn't believe the results you would get with these dumps.

What I see is a band of "know it alls" who wallow in there incompetence because of their lack of experience.

H2SO4 saw the same thing. Hence his attempts to do something about it which were for naught.

I agree I'm not a trained professional like you. I'm just 22 used to help friend and family with Computers used to read books and forum post that my knowledge with troubleshooting. To be honest through out the thread you were the one who was trying to prove your "Know it all" attitude. Crash dump analysis is not something you learn over night the more dumps you analysis the more you learn. But i don't think a trained professional would respond to thread in such unprofessional manner. If you found a mistake in my thread tell me I'll be happy to rectify it and make sure it won't happen again. But in a professional manner. Not by insulting like you did to all of them through out the thread. I don't think like you said a good technician would respond like you did.

If everyone thinks I'm not competent then I'm officially resigning from this forum. I would like to thanks all who been supporting me. This will be last post on this forums.

Thanks,
Captain

Captain, don't let this guy bring you down. You do an excellent job in your posts, as I do. As all the bsod analysts do here.

This Webscaper guy is only out to bring negativity to the forum. It is plain and obvious.

I'd like to support ya in staying because you bring a great value to the forum, no doubt.

Webscaper, I'm going to have to ask you to stand-down.
I'm unsure of the outcome of this incident, but consider yourself warned.

The goal of everyone on the website is to help. While some may have different methods of doing so, which others may deem to be inadequate, this does not justify what will ultimately culminate in pointless bickering on both sides. Since everyone in this thread has claimed to be an authority on BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) errors, or have the "right way of doing things", it is clear that these postings have de-evolved into a "I know what I am talking about and you don't" situation. This is not constructive for anyone, and there are those who are having hard feelings about it, given the number of contributions they have made on and off the forums.

That being said, because the thread has gone off topic, it is hereby closed. Remember that the subject of this thread was a plea for help from the OP, and not an argument into the methodologies of analyzing crash dumps or BSOD errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom