Windows 7 BSoD BRAND NEW SYSTEM BUILD - POSSIBLE HARDWARE FAULT???

With driver verifier, if you discover what you think is crashing it. Do it for 5-6 times. Trying to establish a pattern, if in fact there is one.

Then load those dumps up.

HTH.

Well, after going through this thread, I have some questions and then some comments.

The fact you seemed to have a problem with the basic onboard video does not fare well for your system. What video output were you using and how was it connected and what was it connected to?

What drivers have you loaded from either the CD or off the ASUS site?

I had Windows update give me a video driver for my on board video and it crashed the system. Luckily it seemed to auto uninstall without input from me.

Some comments:

There is always a chance the motherboard is bad. If you can exchange it, I would think about it.

Remove the 4650 card until you get your system stable. I have noticed some problems being reported with that card and Windows 7. Even though it was not part of the original situation, it might be part of another.

The next time you reload the OS, you might try the 32 bit version to test.

Although I have no good reason for suggesting this, I would look into getting a slightly larger power supply, maybe 550.

Ok,
well i setup driver verifier as requested last night and within 30sec of the first reboot i got a BSoD referencing a particular driver. On the very next reboot after 5min i got another BSoD. This time no driver was listed.

I turned system off for the night and when i got home this afternoon the pc had trouble performing a cold boot. It would either hang or crash. I performed a system restore through startup recovery and it booted fine the first try after.

However I have lost the 2 minidump files from the night before. I viewed them with BLUESCREENVIEW last night so i know they were there but the restore must be responsible. I do have the pics of the 2 BSoD though which will hopefully mean something to one of you.

I have not yet downloaded the stress test programs "Prime95 & Furmark" but i will do that and post results.

There is no consistency with the apparent causes of the Blue Screens. Sometimes it will crash 30sec after startup and other times it will run for 5 or 6 hours, surfing the net, playing videos. The only thing that is consistent is that at some stage after startup the system will crash. Even if i leave it sitting at the desktop with no open applications running it will eventually crash. It has only run for more than 12 hours once since it was built a few weeks ago.

The video issue turned out to be a faulty DVI-D port on the monitor. Using the D-SUB port through either the onboard video or 4650 I have not had any problems since. I did have some BSoD without the 4650 earlier but I will take it out over the weekend and see what happens.

I'm also going to grab some RAM from another system for testing over the weekend as well. Although last time I swapped out the RAM I still had instability issues as well.

I have loaded the chipset and ethernet drivers off of the Asus disk. I have tried searching for updated drivers for all devices listed in Device Manager but it tells me that all the drivers are the most recent. Even the HDD driver that Microsoft has installed for my Samsung HDD is supposed to be the most recent version but is dated 2006? Does this sound right? I can't find a more recent one on the Samsung website either. I know that WIN7 does not like drivers pre-2009 but there are a few listed that are older.

Hopefully the pics of the Blue Screens from last night will help some.

I appreciate all the help guys.

Attachments

• IMAG0071.jpg
    IMAG0071.jpg
    609.3 KB · Views: 548
  • IMAG0072.jpg
    IMAG0072.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 616
Hi,

Can you uninstall all the drivers etc off the asus disc. The drivers you need are available here Get the chipset drivers from there. Get you audio drivers from Link Removed - Invalid URL
Get you Lan drivers also from Realtek. In my opinion using the drivers from the products cd in most cases ends up being problematic.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom