Windows 7 BSOD on Wake From Sleep -- NewSystem Build

PuZzLing1

Around mid-May I put the following system together:

Processor: i5-3570K
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB
Bios Version: F8
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 (8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3)
Graphics Card: EVGA 02G-P3-1568-KR (GeForce GTX 560 Ti 2048 MB GDDR5)
Hard Drive: OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-240G 240GB SSD (Boot)
Firmware 2.22
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB (Windows 7 also installed here)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK
PSU: OCZ ZX Series 850W Fully-Modular 80PLUS
Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 650D (CC650DW-1) ATX Mid
Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP
Monitor: ASUS VH232H Glossy Black 23" 5ms Widescreen @ 1920x1080
Sound Card: On-board chipset
Keyboard: Dell SK-8135 (leftover from previous computer)
Mouse: Logitech G5 (leftover from previous computer)

All components are new, except as noted.

We’ve had problems with BSODs from the beginning with this build. And I've been trying to squash this thing ever since. Humbled, I now bring it to you. CPU-Z & BSOD screen shots, as well as the requested Window7Forums-com Info folder are all attached.

Following is a brief narrative of my experinces so far. Hopefully you can find some value in in them that can be used to cut to the heart of the problem.

Initially I attributed it to the SSD & its Sandforce controller. There were a number of early issues -- which I think are now resolved -- that supported that supposition. The OCZ support forum seemed to concur at the time. Although I haven't completely dismissed the idea that it might still be the SSD, the current drive is an RMA replacement; the probability of me receieving two bad drives is extremely low.

Memory: I’m fairly confident that the memory is okay. I’ve run several passes with Windows Memory Diagnostic, as well as two separate runs of Mem86+ -- a 4 cycle sequence followed by a second an 8 cycle sequence several days later. Finally, I swapped the RAM out with another pair of sticks from another older computer that we’ve had no problems with (another home brew). The newer computer experienced another of the STOP:0x07a with the memory from the other computer installed (see June 29 BSOD screen shot – the0x07A stop never seem to complete a dmp file).

VIDEO CARD: After swapping the memory back I did a little research and found an article that noted you should always uninstall the old NVIDIA drivers before installing the new. I wasn’t sure if I had originally installed the 301.42 drivers I was running or if they were an update. So I completely uninstalled using Windows add/remove programs, then followed up with passes from CCleaner and Auslogics Registry Cleaner. I reinstalled only the video and PhysX drivers (I had also read that the audio drivers caused problems for some). The next day I received a new BSOD STOP:0x03B (see June 30 BSOD screen shot & log). This was the first time I am aware of running across this one.

Following this depressing turn I then removed the video card completely, uninstalled all NVIDIA drivers (add/remove programs, CCleaner, Auslogics Registry Cleaner, followed by Driver Sweeper) and switched over to to the integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000. On Wednesday, July 4 we received another new BSOD STOP:0x04F (See attached screen shot). Again, dmp file creation failed. Friday morning we experience another of the 0x04F’s (See July 6, 9 am screen shot). This was followed by a 0x07A later that evening (See July 6, 9 pm screen shot). At this point the GTX 560ti card is still uninstalled.

The common thread to the overwhelming majority of these BSODs is that they occur on a wake from sleep. The exceptions to this seem to be the two 0x04F instances, which occurred in with the system already awake and in the midst of an action (e.g. the 0x04 on Friday 7/6 occurred while starting Windows Live Mail). Typically, we clear the BSOD by cycling the power. On restart, the system bypasses the log-in screen and returns right back to the condition it was in just prior to the stop (i.e. all apps & windows open).

Following are the Power Options Settings:
High Performance
Turn off Display: 10 min
Put entire computer to sleep: 20 min
Advanced Options:
Hard DiskàTurn off hard disk after: Never
Sleep after: 20 min
Allow Hybrid sleep: ON
Hibernate after: NEVER

Your efforts and experience are appreciated.

(It appears that the combined file size of the Seven Forums info folder and the BSOD photo log exceed the 10MB quota. I will have to upload the photos in a subsequent post.)

Attachments

• Seven Forums.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 412
(It appears that the combined file size of the Seven Forums info folder and the BSOD photo log exceed the 10MB quota. I will have to upload the photos in a subsequent post.)

Here are most of the BSOD screen shots mentioned in my previous post.
Cheers!

Attachments

• BSOD Photo Log.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 300
  • Addl BSOD Photos.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 282
Back
Top Bottom