Windows 10 BSOD starting again.

I shall give an example the girlfriends machine a FX-8370 machine which is overclocked. Idle temps say around 25c Full load temps never go above 57. As Kemical has stated. Check case airflow and the tim on the cpu. May I suggest if you're going to stress test use OCCT and select linpack as it really stresses out the cpu. If it'll do at least an hour of that at decent temps, you'll be golden for gaming. Knowing what PSU you have is important as cheap or misbehaving PSUs can create temp issues with cpu's gpu's and the like.

hheeh , you guys rock. I"m such a damn dinosaur. 8086 anyone? Z80 perhaps?
Since enquiring minds wanna know.........
| Bear's brilliantly outdated PC |
-----------------------------------------------
psu: CORSAIR CX-M Series CX750M 750W 80 PLUS BRONZE Haswell Ready ATX12V & EPS12V Modular Power Supply-Newegg.com purchased 11/27/2015
case: CoolerMaster cm-690 CM 690 NVIDIA Edition | Cooler Master Purchased : 12/17/2008

Video Card was purchased used with gpu cooler modification from a overclocker ( EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti Superclocked - video card ) Cooler is GELID Solutions | REV.2 ICY VISION ( Hard to believe its been 4yrs ago already ) idk how long its been since the thermal was done on the video card. I've never done it.

Fans, all fans are 120mm except bottom fan which is 140mm, I tried to find the special mb fan for the back but was unable to find one.

CPU Thermal was done last summer when I had to replace the mb with a asus warranty refurbished one. Thats also when I had to add the h50 as this particular board didn't seem to be as efficient but was stuck with it :(
Newegg says I bought the h50 in july of 2015 but it sure don't seem like that long ago ( CORSAIR Hydro Series H55 Quiet Edition Water / Liquid CPU Cooler 120mm-Newegg.com )

2 of the fans ( side and one top ) are Rosewill ROCF-11004 Hyperborea 120mm Case Fan-Newegg.com which wasn't really what I wanted but I was stuck for $ at the time. Bottom fan (140mm ) is Rosewill ROCF-11003 Hyperborea 140mm Case Fan-Newegg.com
When I look at fans like Fractal Design Venturi HP Series Black Fluid Dynamic Bearing High Pressure PWM 120mm Radiator/Heatsink Optimized Fan-Newegg.com their technology explanation makes alot of sense but then their actual specs suck! 61.4cfm is nothing to get excited about, not when companies make things like SILVERSTONE FM121-B Case Fan-Newegg.com

use: I use my pc MAINLY for programming , playing warthunder and photography ( Lightroom & photoshop ) + making youtube training video's and weekly Zoom meetings. It's not uncommon for me to have 15+ chrome tabs open simultaneously.
In Lightroom I'll have 300-1000 images in the bottom bar with 1 @ full res in development and another in photoshop.
There are times I stack 20-30 images as layers resulting in 6G or more of ram being utilized.

I've noticed that software being uninstalled lately is still leaving services and things behind. Like I uninstalled Fbackup the other day and yet it is still in active services. Same thing with WD. I'm not sure at all whats causing that nor how to cure it.

Here's a short video showing the details of the pc.. I see my son doesn't know what "clean" really means lol.. Can't get canned air till the 1st so....... Prime Photos

NOTE: Incase it wasn't clear the fans are IN: side , bottom, front, and OUT top 2, radiator & PSU is mounted inverted so it blows DOWN out the bottom PSU case vent, under it.

I've got a FB video playing as I shot this just now, been "active" for about 4hrs but only doing basic net usage.
upload_2017-7-18_17-31-15.png

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    141.4 KB · Views: 435
  • bear.LOG.txt
    152.6 KB · Views: 499
I've just watched that video. Noticed a couple of things. 1 clean the thing. 2 the radiator on the rear is missing a fan. Needs to be a high pressure fan. That radiator is also blocked with dust. Now I'm going to really picky. Two fans at the top remove the one right at the top back as it's stealing air from the radiator. On the positive side, you have a really decent AM3+ mobo. Weird thing I also noticed is the 2901 bios on the ASUS support site says august 2016 but the one installed says April. So I'd be grabbing the newer version of 2901. You're right though your son does have an odd idea of clean. That said Ross and myself are really clean freaks when it comes to our machines, so please don't take any of this badly.

Rich

@nmsuk haha your fine.. I was a tech till 98 and trained in hardware ( yes, I'm a dinosaur now ) so, I totally get it.. this is no where near "clean" to me. The radiator does have a fan ( the one that came with it ) it's in "pull" configuration.
Fan: top right? you mean top left ?
Previous to yesterday, both the bottom 140 and side case were set to exhaust, could this change have been helpful?

Looking at the open side the top left. I'd add a fan to the radiator and go for a push pull setup. I have the H80i V2 and have I'd venting out in a push pull setup. Though corsair recommend having them push pull into the case. I'd have the bottom and side as as intakes, to cool the video card. Top right it have venting out the top and I'd remove the one close to the radiator and then put a fan on the radiator blowing air through the rad and the one the other side of it venting. I did have to laugh at that video, father and son inside a pc always ends up with disagreements about terminology. :D

That rosewell 120 on top left won't work as the push fan for the rad will it? just fyi I don't care about noise when it comes to fans, I want cooling.. i.e. cfm afaik.

• Am i wrong or is nocturna got better stats?
    upload_2017-7-19_14-59-24.png
  • Corsair sp120
  • -------------------
  • Fan Size 120mm x 25mm
  • Noise (dBA) 35 dBA
  • Airflow (CFM) 62.74 CFM
  • Static Pressure (mm/H2O) 3.1 mm/H2O
  • 2350 rpm
  • Power Draw (@ +12V) .18A
  • Three colored rings in red, blue, and white.

Am i wrong or is nocturna got better stats?
They are considered some of the best fans out there but damn ugly IMO. I recently bought a set of Corsair Maglift fans for my set up and they are quiet if not a tad expensive.
Your best bet is getting rid of the dust firt of all and see where you are then in terms of thermal performance.

BTW, Here's the stats so far ... currently watching a video and a bit of chatting... 86F inside the house :( Seems reversing those 2 fans have made a big difference.
upload_2017-7-19_16-10-4.png

upload_2017-7-19_16-8-59.png

ok, after about 30 min of playing warthunder is "grouped" play, i.e. surrounded by planes and max graphics.. here's the reading..
upload_2017-7-19_16-40-9.png

Interestingly , and I've no clue the cause.. I had a audio "growl" for about 2 seconds about halfway along, the stats were at this point below..
Running was, youtube in the background along with all my normal apps.

Attachments

• burp.PNG
    burp.PNG
    316.1 KB · Views: 425
@kemical why would you get those when the cfm is so low? Isn't that the most important thing?
Hmm well the cfm is better than the SP120 ( a fan designed specifically for high airflow) and it depends on what speed you run them at too. Basically it's a trade-off between on how they look and how they perform.
I can assure you I have absolutely no issues regarding airflow and the lack of. Plus the idea of these fans is that they look fantastic, run almost silently due to the 'maglift' effect as well as having a half decent cfm figure.

I built this system around two weeks ago using said fans:

r1.jpg

sideways.jpg

ok, after about 30 min of playing warthunder is "grouped" play, i.e. surrounded by planes and max graphics.. here's the reading..

Yeah that's simply too high Bear. Ideally you don't want to see that chip anywhere near 60c and you are getting over 67c at times. (I bet it runs even higher on the odd occasion)
You need to beef up your cooling by either improving what your using with more fans or buying a better solution.

That's gorgeous!! I love the wood trim!! I appreciate your feedback and thoughts. It helps tremendously. I've already throttled the system to "normal" in asus bios ( i normally ran it in turbo ) so not much more I can do there.
You have any clue why I got the "growl" for a second or 2? I'm sure you know what I mean. Normally I only hear it on BSOD. If it matters the plane jerked at the same time.
If I put that top left fan as push thats not going to work well temporarily will it? I'm concerned it will actually prevent the one that is already there from working well.

That's gorgeous!! I love the wood trim!!
Heh, thanks Bear but the 'wood trim' is actually my computer desk leg
You have any clue why I got the "growl" for a second or 2?
Probably part of the overheating issue I should imagine.

Ok looking over your video again, I'd add another fan to your radiator so you have a 'push/ pull' config.

Use a old toothbrush as well as a small paintbrush to remove as much dust as possible from the rad as it looks almost blocked with crud.

If I put that top left fan as push thats not going to work well temporarily will it?
If all you can do for the moment is clean the rad and move this fan I'd do it. Move it to a push config as well as making sure those other input fans and associated filters are dust free, you must have cool air entering the system from somewhere.

Back