Windows 7 BSOD when gaming.

jounetsu

I'm a gamer, so I play a lot of games in my PC, I think I have a decent rig. Anyway, my BSOD's only occur when I'm gaming, I don't know if my PC suffers from a lot of stress, however, when I play Rainbow Six Vegas 1/2, the crash would occur randomly, however, this crash would occur much more faster if I have some background music playing on my desktop.

Now, I've installed Mirror's Edge today, but I can't play for more than 30 minutes because my computer BSOD's after a short period of playing.

I honestly have no idea what's the problem is, I thought it might be an outdated sound driver, but I've already updated it correctly (I think...), so now I'm really clueless as to what's causing this errors. I thought I would pinpoint which error it was because sometimes it would say ''IRQUL NOT LESS OR EQUAL'', but other times it would say something completely different, so, I'm guessing it's a multitude of errors?

I'm attaching the proper files you guys recommended on the sticky threads, if I missed something let me know.

Thanks!

Attachments

• desktop folder).zip
    701.4 KB · Views: 270
Hello and welcome to the forum.
You need to address the following five drivers and either update or uninstall the associated software / drivers or consider renaming the file extension from .sys to .OLD.
ManyCam_x64.sys 3/13/2008 ManyCam Virtual Webcam Download ManyCam free virtual webcam and webcam graphics software!
BtHidBus.sys 7/31/2008 Bluetooth HID BUS Driver Link Removed - Invalid URL
vsmraid.sys 1/30/2009 VIA RAID driver for X86-32 VIA Drivers Download - VIA Technologies, Inc.
Rt64win7.sys 2/26/2009 Realtek NIC Realtek
anodlwfx.sys 3/6/2009 ALPHA Networks Filter Driver Alpha Networks Inc.
They all predate Windows 7 RTM and need your attention.
Additionally you should probably consider updating your System's BIOS, looks like you are still running the original and there have been several since. Determine your board's revision number and look here (make sure you select the correct Rev.#1.0, 2.0 or 2.1) GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM2+ - GA-MA770-UD3 (rev. 2.0)
Regards
Randy

I don't know the revision number of my motherboard? When I used CPU-Z it says ''x.x''. So I have no idea how I should update.

Alright, I was able to find the revision number and updated. However, I want to ask if I did something wrong; For starters, did I had to update one by one? Or just update to the latest one that isn't a beta release? Because I did the latter.

I'm asking because, before I updated the bios, Mirror's Edge ran at 60 FPS constant, and now, after updating, it's running at 40 to 50 frames, why did this happen?

Alright, I was able to find the revision number and updated. However, I want to ask if I did something wrong; For starters, did I had to update one by one? Or just update to the latest one that isn't a beta release? Because I did the latter.
I Believe the later is generally fine, and I think that you would likely see something in the release notes if an incremental update was required prior to graduating to the next.

I'm asking because, before I updated the bios, Mirror's Edge ran at 60 FPS constant, and now, after updating, it's running at 40 to 50 frames, why did this happen?
Good question.... I would say a better question though is; Is the machine still crashing and blue screening after 30 minutes of play with Mirror's Edge? I can say that it is in all probability likely that when you flashed your BIOS it reset any and all tweaking or overclocking you may have done to something like "Setup Defaults" or "Optimized Defaults" or "Performance Defaults" something of similar wording. So you may want to investigate any thing that you had previously tweaked, like disabling unused devices, etc.,.
Regards
Randy

I just played for a while and suffered no crashes at all. I believe the bios was the reason for the blue screens? I played with the same setting before I updated and suffered no crashes.

Anyway, now the only thing to fix is, why are my games running worse than before, to answer your question, I had formatted my PC a while ago and did no tweaking at all to any defaults, however, it is true that updating bios resets and tweaking, so that's probably the problem. I don't know how to explain it, but I think my computer had stock tweaking already? Not sure how to revert the settings?

Okay, I re-installed nvdia Drivers hoping it would do something, and it actually did. For a few seconds anyway, I started Mirror's Edge again and it started to run really smooth, but after less than 10 minutes the framerate started to get choppy and horrible again. :/

Not being a gamer myself I cannot really provide a whole lot of insight regarding their individual performance. I might suggest that you check your BIOS setting for something called AMD K8 Cool & Quiet Control and set that to disabled on the chance that perhaps there may be some CPU throttling taking place in the back ground. See if that helps
Regards
Randy

EDIT: Additionally I can't help but notice that you are using slots 3 and 4 for your memory modules. Is there something physically preventing you from using slots 1 and 2.
If two memory modules are to be installed, it is recommended that you install them in the DDR2_1 and DDR2_2 sockets.
SOURCE: Page 16 of your mother board manual.

Last edited:
Changed the setting to disabled and the game still has the stuttering, framerate problem. As for the memory slots, I was using 1 and 3, but since the first slot started giving me trouble since it would give a loud beeping noise after turning on my computer, I decided to changed number 1 slot to 4.

Q:What do the beeps emitted during the POST mean?
A: The following Award BIOS beep code descriptions may help you identify possible computer problems.
(For reference only.)
1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
Continuous short beeps: Power error

You may want to look into this problem and troubleshoot your memory module slots. While you may believe yourself to have resolved the problem, simply by not using a slot, and while it is very possible DIMM SLOT 1 could have been damaged during assembly, you may be experiencing performance issues from problems with this motherboard. Any time a part of the system fails like a RAM slot, you are going to need to view the other components as suspect as well. I would consider thoroughly checking the first slot for any signs of physical damage, wear and tear, or most importantly, any kind of build-up of dust or material on, in, or near the slot. Obviously, you will know that a can of compressed air is one of the best ways to clear the slot, but even a tiny, nearly microscopic piece of conductive material in the slot can make it temporarily unusable. Permanent damage to the slot could mean permanent damage to other areas. Any damage to the northbridge of the board is not a good sign for longevity, and you should try to clear this issue up. One of the reasons it is recommended that you always use SLOT 1 and 2 (or in some cases this is referred to as 0+1) is to get the best dual channel performance. It is possible you can still get dual channel using 2+3 (or in some cases 1+2 as it is called when you have 0-1-2-3), but you would want to confirm you are able to achieve it using this method.

When you update your BIOS, it is important to clear the CMOS, especially on Gigabyte boards, using @BIOS, and then fixing your settings. Usually Loading Optimized Defaults after a BIOS update is a good place to start, and then configuring as needed from there. I am quite sure you do not need to worry about incrementally updating the BIOS on a Gigabyte board: The BIOS updates are a complete flash and the only problem you could possibly encounter is if you did not clear the CMOS (i.e. go back to factory defaults) after the procedure. If you know you did, it would be difficult to justify a BIOS update as the cause of a new slow down, unless some critical change has been made or you have not optimized your BIOS settings after the flash.

With the latest NVIDIA drivers, you should also not notice a new slow down or choppiness. The unified driver updates that they publish are focused on reliability and performance enhancements for so long as your dedicated graphics card is still supported. It seems that your problem is maintaining a sustainable reliability with your card. If framerates are bouncing up and down in games, you should make sure that the graphics card is not being choked by a related problem. In many cases, this can even be hard disk I/O performance while the game is running.

With the cause of the BSOD unidentified, I am just shooting some troubleshooting tips your way based on the configuration I am able to observe from here. If it was my system, after performing driver maintenance, I would begin running benchmarking and stability tests to see if the system can handle it. This would include running prime95 and memtest86+, but mostly I would recommend you try the AIDA64 trial benchmarking options to evaluate how fast your performance is compared to other video cards and memory modules in your class. This is a good, simplified way of establishing a baseline when trying to identify where the slowdowns are taking place. Combine that with the AIDA stability test, you should see if your rig can go for awhile without bricking down to another BSOD. If you can pass 3dMark11 Basic or Frybench with your card and see if you can get through it without an extreme slow down, you will have a better idea of what type of problem you are looking at with these tests. Many BSODs are memory or temperature related when no hardware issues are immediately apparent, and this is something to take into consideration, whether it is the on-board graphics memory or the module issue you mentioned in passing.

Well, I cleaned both slots 1/2 and moved the memories to those slots. No more beeping sound, all seems normal, but performance in games is still awful.

I did not clear the CMOS, is it after or before updating the bios?

Anyway, I updated back to the previous bios I was using (where the blue screens happened) and my games started to run perfectly well again, no more stuttering or framerate problems, however, the BSOD's started again.

My situation is:

Use original outdated bios, great performance in games but suffers from blue crashes.
Use most recent bios, poor performance in games but no more BSOD's.

You may want to look into this problem and troubleshoot your memory module slots. While you may believe yourself to have resolved the problem, simply by not using a slot, and while it is very possible DIMM SLOT 1 could have been damaged during assembly, you may be experiencing performance issues from problems with this motherboard. Any time a part of the system fails like a RAM slot, you are going to need to view the other components as suspect as well. I would consider thoroughly checking the first slot for any signs of physical damage, wear and tear, or most importantly, any kind of build-up of dust or material on, in, or near the slot. Obviously, you will know that a can of compressed air is one of the best ways to clear the slot, but even a tiny, nearly microscopic piece of conductive material in the slot can make it temporarily unusable. Permanent damage to the slot could mean permanent damage to other areas. Any damage to the northbridge of the board is not a good sign for longevity, and you should try to clear this issue up. One of the reasons it is recommended that you always use SLOT 1 and 2 (or in some cases this is referred to as 0+1) is to get the best dual channel performance. It is possible you can still get dual channel using 2+3 (or in some cases 1+2 as it is called when you have 0-1-2-3), but you would want to confirm you are able to achieve it using this method.

When you update your BIOS, it is important to clear the CMOS, especially on Gigabyte boards, using @BIOS, and then fixing your settings. Usually Loading Optimized Defaults after a BIOS update is a good place to start, and then configuring as needed from there. I am quite sure you do not need to worry about incrementally updating the BIOS on a Gigabyte board: The BIOS updates are a complete flash and the only problem you could possibly encounter is if you did not clear the CMOS (i.e. go back to factory defaults) after the procedure. If you know you did, it would be difficult to justify a BIOS update as the cause of a new slow down, unless some critical change has been made or you have not optimized your BIOS settings after the flash.

With the latest NVIDIA drivers, you should also not notice a new slow down or choppiness. The unified driver updates that they publish are focused on reliability and performance enhancements for so long as your dedicated graphics card is still supported. It seems that your problem is maintaining a sustainable reliability with your card. If framerates are bouncing up and down in games, you should make sure that the graphics card is not being choked by a related problem. In many cases, this can even be hard disk I/O performance while the game is running.

With the cause of the BSOD unidentified, I am just shooting some troubleshooting tips your way based on the configuration I am able to observe from here. If it was my system, after performing driver maintenance, I would begin running benchmarking and stability tests to see if the system can handle it. This would include running prime95 and memtest86+, but mostly I would recommend you try the AIDA64 trial benchmarking options to evaluate how fast your performance is compared to other video cards and memory modules in your class. This is a good, simplified way of establishing a baseline when trying to identify where the slowdowns are taking place. Combine that with the AIDA stability test, you should see if your rig can go for awhile without bricking down to another BSOD. If you can pass 3dMark11 Basic or Frybench with your card and see if you can get through it without an extreme slow down, you will have a better idea of what type of problem you are looking at with these tests. Many BSODs are memory or temperature related when no hardware issues are immediately apparent, and this is something to take into consideration, whether it is the on-board graphics memory or the module issue you mentioned in passing.

As I mentioned previously, I can use slots 1/2 just fine.

I did not clear the CMOS when I updated the Bios, do you suggest I go back to first bios, clear CMOS and then update bios?

Something really important I need to mention, I ran memtest with rams in dual channel, got err0rs, ran memtest with rams individually and no err0rs appeared so I had no clue which ram stick was the one giving err0rs in dual channel.

Anyway, so the err0rs only occur when I run ram in dual channel, I figured, maybe one of the ram sticks is giving trouble in dual channel, so I bought another ddr2 ram (same model and all) and ran it with each ram stick in dual channel, framerate still occurs.

I don't know what to do, is it possible the motherboard is the one that's giving this problems?

Last edited:
Back