Windows 10 BSOD When starting Windows! HELP

Jake Emms

Hiya,

For the past year I have been trying to diagnose my bizarre BSOD error. This error happens when "Cold Starting" my computer. By "Cold Starting" I mean the computer has not been turned on for about 2 hours or more. After this BSOD the computer restarts and boots into windows perfectly and is fine for the rest of the day.

Things I have tried to resolve this BSOD
> New power supply
> Safe Mode
> Windows memory diagnostics

I have attached screenshots of CPU-Z and the files from the W7F Diagnostics Tool.

I would be grateful of any help
received!

Many Thanks,
Jake Emms

Attachments

• W7F_26-03-2016.zip
    936.6 KB · Views: 274
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff8000286643e, ffffd00025893a38, ffffd00025893240}

Probably caused by : atikmdag.sys ( atikmdag+c5243e )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
as the above dump file is blaming the gpu driver please use the Display driver uninstaller to remove your old driver. It does this under safe mode and removes any old bit's of driver left behind by previous installs;
Display driver uninstaller

Install the legacy driver needed for your card:
Legacy

Please check what revision your motherboard is. You can usually find it written on the motherboard itself. Once you know the correct revision use the support page to download the correct bios and update. If your unsure on this process then leave it for now.
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket FM1 - GA-A55M-DS2 (rev. 1.0)

Post any new dump files.

Sorry for late reply, today I have tried installing different versions of graphics card drivers and have had no luck. I have attached the dump file tool folder but I am starting to think that it may be a bigger problem. :(

Attachments

• W7F_28-03-2016.zip
    450.7 KB · Views: 277
Code:

BugCheck 24, {b500190637, ffffd00025ed83c8, ffffd00025ed7bd0, fffff800f411ee0c}

Probably caused by : memory_corruption

Followup: memory_corruption
Of the two dump files sent, one was like the previous dump files and the other you can see above. Typical causes for bugcheck 24 are ntfs file issues.

When you say different versions of driver what do you mean? Your gpu is now considered legacy so there is only one driver available which I linked to above.
Did you use the display driver uninstaller as recommended?

If you did and the bsod still occurred try removing the graphics card and just use the onboard gpu that comes with the chip. If the bsod stops then you know it could be the graphics card thats faulty.

Did you flash the bios or not?

As you got a bugcheck 24 please run a chkdsk making sure you check for and repair broken sectors. This guide will show you how:
The How-To Geek Guide to Using Check Disk in Windows 7, 8, or 10
Post any new dump files.

Check disk came back okay with no errors when I was trying to diagnose this last week. The "Other driver I tried was the crimson beta and still the same problems. I also used the display driver uninstaller you provided. I will remove the card now and try starting the computer later on with just onboard graphics.

Ok Jake thanks for the update. Let us know how you get on.

Today I tried removing the graphics card and unfortunately still got a BSOD. After this I tried reinstalling the graphics card and got another BSOD before it restarted and I could use the computer normally. Again I have attached the files from the W7F Tool

Attachments

• W7F_29-03-2016.zip
    606.4 KB · Views: 263
Code:

BugCheck 24, {b500190637, ffffd00025ed83c8, ffffd00025ed7bd0, fffff800f411ee0c}

Probably caused by : memory_corruption

Followup: memory_corruption
Hi Jake,
create a recovery disk/usb and then use the verifier. If the verifier causes a bsod boot loop use the recovery disk/usb to boot into safe mode and turn the verifier off.:
Creating a recovery drive - Windows Help -

How do I fix a Blue Screen in Windows using Driver Verifier?

Post any new dump files.

Code:

BugCheck D5, {ffffcf81a4e9cfa0, 0, fffff8006ecc01db, 0}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys

Could not read faulting driver name
Probably caused by : atikmdag.sys ( atikmdag+bb1db )

Hi,
the above dump file has this cause:
Cause
The Driver Verifier Special Pool option has caught the driver accessing memory which was earlier freed.
Ref

You also had dump files for memory corruption and I think it's time you checked the RAM If you remember you removed the gpu and just used the onboard graphics. This still produced a bsod so one can perhaps rule out the graphics card as the issue.

Now i know you had tried some memory diagnostics and Windows does have a memory testing app but it can miss errors and the best app for the job is Memtest86.
If you open the link below you'll see you can run Memtest86 in two ways. You can either burn it to disk or install it onto a USB drive it's entirely up to you. You'll then need to enter the bios to change the boot order so you can boot from either the Disk or USB stick you have Memtest86 on.
You must test for at least 12 hours unless it becomes obvious there is a problem straight away.
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

If this fails to bring any results we'll test your chip.

AODDriver2.sys Tue Feb 11 11:06:52 2014: AMD Overdrive; also in EasyTune6 for Gigabyte motherboard Known BSOD issues in Windows. This driver can also be a part of the AMD GPU driver so if you do not have Overdrive installed then don't worry.

Please post any new dump files.

Hi,

I have ran ran the Memtest86 tool for 15 hours and was no errors. I also ran the windows one straight after to make sure. I have attached the dump file again, but I presume it will be the same as before

Attachments

• W7F_31-03-2016.zip
    805.8 KB · Views: 355
Whilst i debug your dump file can you answer this question?
Do you have Overdrive installed?
AODDriver2.sys Tue Feb 11 11:06:52 2014: AMD Overdrive; also in EasyTune6 for Gigabyte motherboard Known BSOD issues in Windows. This driver can also be a part of the AMD GPU driver so if you do not have Overdrive installed then don't worry.

Code:

BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, 0, ffffd0004018a0a0, 0}

Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k!DirectComposition::CApplicationChannel::EmitUpdateCommands+42 )

Hi,
the above dump file is caused by:
Cause
This error has been linked to excessive paged pool usage and may occur due to user-mode graphics drivers crossing over and passing bad data to the kernel code.

The AMD gpu driver currently installed is this:
atikmdag.sys Tue Aug 04 04:28:52 2015

Is this the legacy Driver i linked to above? I only ask as the dates seem different. If it isn't the legacy driver please use the DDU and then install.

You also have several other drivers which for Windows 10 could be considered old:

AODDriver2.sys Tue Feb 11 11:06:52 2014: Please advise if this is Overdrive 4.3. If it is please remove it.

dc3d.sys Wed May 18 09:07:24 2011: Filter Driver for Identification of Microsoft Hardware Wireless Mouse and Keyboard Device Models - Microsoft IntelliType Pro / IntelliPoint. Please update:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/default.aspx

tapoas.sys Mon Jul 12 01:31:59 2010: OpenVPN Virtual Network Driver please update:
http://openvpn.net/

PxHlpa64.sys Mon Oct 17 15:29:34 2011: Sonic CD/DVD driver (used by many different CD/DVD programs). If you know of an application which might be using this driver see if you can get a later version.

Sometimes it can be the case that memory is bad but Memtest86 isn't picking it up or it's simply not been run long enough. Now another way to try and see if the issue is RAM associated is to run on one stick at a time. If the machine bsod's swap sticks and try again. See if there's a stick which doesn't bsod.

Post any new dump files.

Back
Top Bottom