Windows XP BSOD, Windows won't boot up.

Ephraim Jacinto

I literally have no clue why or how did this happen. One day, I got home and boot up my laptop to finish a project for school. Then, while the Windows boot screen was loading, it suddenly flashed the BSOD and rebooted.
I am quite experienced with these kind of problems. Sometimes, an error like this comes up, but I can fix it just by the CMOS setup settings, by changing the SATA Mode from AHCI to IDE. But, when this recent problems occured, changing the SATA Mode wasn't a solution to my problems. Nor removing the memory chip from the bottom panel of my laptop and putting it back after cleaning it. Then, it came to me that I should try repairing it with a Windows installation disc. But, when I tried to boot the disc up, Windows can't recognize it. The usual "Press any key to continue... etc, etc" doesn't show up. It just boots up to the loading screen and keeps flashing the BSOD.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using WindowsForum mobile app

:(:(

Attachments

• 1408238967303.jpg
    1408238967303.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 608
Last edited:
Hi Ephraim,
try this: Start the machine but keep pressing F8 whilst your booting up. You may need to try more than once but when successful you should see the advanced boot options menu. Look for a setting called 'Last good known configuration' and click that. Hopefully Windows will revert to a time when the system worked fine:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

If you do get back into windows look in the main windows folder for a folder called Minidump. Look inside and if there are dump files zip them up and post them here. If there isn't change your settings to look like this:

Go to Run and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be
found later.
Click OK and apply to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect.

Ok two things you could try. Boot into the advanced boot options again but choose Safe mode this time. If the machine will boot into safe mode then we know it's possibly a driver. Try and access the minidump file and post the dumps.
The other thing you could try is booting from an XP disk (that means changing the boot order so that CD/DVD is first) but when reaching the install screen choose repair instead.

I already tried that a bazillion times, but Windows won't recognize my Installation disc.
I already tried 5 discs; Windows XP SP1 - SP3, Vista & 7. None of them could be recognized. I already tried using an external DVD-rom Drive when I noticed that the built-in DVD-rom Drive couldn't recognize the discs, so I thought that an external one would do. But still, nothing.

what about safe mode? I can probably guess your answer but still..:)

Also going back to what you said about removing the memory stick and cleaning it? Did you mean your actual RAM stick?

Safe mode doesn't work either, it also flashes the BSOD, and yes, I think. It's he small chip in the bottom panel of the laptop which looks like RAM cards to me.

Hmm... really these don't need to be touched as static can kill them and also you can't install an os from an external drive. but anyhoo have you tried removing the battery for a hour or two?
Also when you boot do you hear the bios beep?

Well, my professor told me to just use an anti-static strap while removing the RAM. And yes, I used my laptop without the battery, just connected the charger directly. Yes, I hear the short single beep.

Oh ok just as long as your aware that's great.

Looking at the two bsod screens you posted you can see that the stop code is Bugcheck 24 or 0x00000024. Now bugcheck 24 relates to the NTFS file system.
A possible cause is either corruption in the NTFS file system, bad or broken sectors, corrupt or out of date storage drivers and possibly a failed hard drive. If you could only boot into safe mode with command prompt you could execute a chkdsk. As you can't even get into safe mode try these apps:
This will allow you to create either a bootable CD or USB from which you can try and ascertain if your HDD is dead
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
These are handy plug-ins:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1557

Back