Windows 7 Can i re install windows with backup disc's?

If you want to manually format you hard drive, you may not be able to use the recovery discs after.
So if i was to reformat i would need to buy a Windows 7 disk? But if a factory reset from disks was enough i dont see a reason to reformat

Badrobot, I responded to a much earlier post. After it posted, the thread updated and I see it was overtaken by events.

This thread has had a lot of different replies i just popped in the recovery disc again and the description was it will erase all data on drive c:/ with that information and running Malwarebytes, Windows Malware Remover, Avaria and AVG full scans and nothing came back. Would you say that i should be virus free or am i going to need to buy a Windows 7 Disk and reformat my Hard Drive?

So if i was to reformat i would need to buy a Windows 7 disk? But if a factory reset from disks was enough i dont see a reason to reformat
Yes, you would need an installer. But you should be good.
But if you are really worried about online banking, run Ubuntu OS on USB flashdrive and do your banking transactions there. :)

Yes, you would need an installer. But you should be good.
But if you are really worried about online banking, run Ubuntu OS on USB flashdrive and do your banking transactions there. :)
What about downloading a windows 7 iso from a website i have my windows 7 key

This thread has had a lot of different replies i just popped in the recovery disc again and the description was it will erase all data on drive c:/ with that information and running Malwarebytes, Windows Malware Remover, Avaria and AVG full scans and nothing came back. Would you say that i should be virus free or am i going to need to buy a Windows 7 Disk and reformat my Hard Drive?
This thread has gotten insane. There are a bunch of answers to different questions but the timing of the posts leaves everyone talking at cross purposes. Answers to older questions seem to confuse the current question. :confused:

Specifically to the question in the quote: if the description that displayed when you put in the recovery disk was that all data would be erased, then that is adequate to protect you from any virus that was previously there. You would not need to hard format the drive. Since the recovery disk will restore Windows, you don't have to worry about an installer or downloading a Win 7 ISO.

This thread has gotten insane. There are a bunch of answers to different questions but the timing of the posts leaves everyone talking at cross purposes. Answers to older questions seem to confuse the current question.

Specifically to the question in the quote: if the description that displayed when you put in the recovery disk was that all data would be erased, then that is adequate to protect you from any virus that was previously there. You would not need to hard format the drive. Since the recovery disk will restore Windows, you don't have to worry about an installer or downloading a Win 7 ISO.
Thank you for putting a hat to the madness, you said Since the recovery disk will restore Windows, you don't have to worry about an installer or downloading a Win 7 ISO. That means if i did choose to reformat my Hard Drive i would not need a Windows 7 disc i could just boot from the CD as if i was going to factory reset?

Thank you for putting a hat to the madness, you said Since the recovery disk will restore Windows, you don't have to worry about an installer or downloading a Win 7 ISO. That means if i did choose to reformat my Hard Drive i would not need a Windows 7 disc i could just boot from the CD as if i was going to factory reset?

No. If you reformat the drive you lose the benefit of the recovery disk. You can either use the recovery disk without reformatting, or reformat and then do the equivalent of an OEM Windows installation using an installation disk created from a Win 7 ISO and your license key. Really, the reformatting isn't necessary. You will be safe doing the recovery.

No. If you reformat the drive you lose the benefit of the recovery disk. You can either use the recovery disk without reformatting, or reformat and then do the equivalent of an OEM Windows installation using an installation disk created from a Win 7 ISO and your license key. Really, the reformatting isn't necessary. You will be safe doing the recovery.
So the factory reset i did with the disk's was enough to get rid of the virus?
I should mention that it was a something pretening to be java but i dont remember the exact name of it

So the factory reset i did with the disk's was enough to get rid of the virus?
I should mention that it was a something pretening to be java but i dont remember the exact name of it

If by "factory reset", you mean the action that generated the message that all data on C: would be erased, then yes. Erasing everything on the drive includes any viruses that might have been there. Erasing the drive isn't done file by file, so it isn't a question of whether the virus could be found. It's like the Samuel L. Jackson Capitol One credit card commercials--everything means everything.

BTW, maybe the virus wasn't pretending. There are some who consider the real Java a virus. :ahaha:

Well ive never had Java come up as a virus before but who knows.
Thanks everyone who helped especially fixer and robot.

Sorry guys, if I messed up with this thread.
And yeah, personally, I consider Java as "virus" or malware download manager...hahaha.

Last edited:
Back