Windows 7 Can you help me? (Ethernet controller driver)

Realist

Hey there! I'm newly registered to this site, but I've visited it in the past and it's helped me many times with my various technical problems on my desktop. I've got another one I was hoping someone could help me with. I'm kinda stumped since I only have a basic understanding of computers.

So lately I had to reformat my desktop because it had too many viruses on it. Unfortunately, I don't still have the installation disc for it, so it's missing some of it's drivers. It worked just fine until recently when I had to get a new router/modem which supports a different type of connection then I'm used to. I couldn't get my pc to connect to the internet whatsoever since then. To my understanding, it's because the PC is missing it's ethernet controller drivers. I surmised this since every other desktop works just fine and they go off the same connection.

On the plus side, I downloaded a program to the desktop in question that gives me extremely detailed information on the PC. Can anyone tell me what it is I need based on this info?

Computer:
Computer Type ACPI Uniprocessor PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180 (IE 6.0 SP2)
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name FORWOOD
User Name Compaq_Owner
Logon Domain [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Date / Time 2011-04-23 / 14:11
Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Sempron, 1800 MHz (9 x 200) 3000+
Motherboard Name Asus K8S-LA (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset SiS 760GX, AMD Hammer
System Memory [ TRIAL VERSION ]
DIMM1: Infineon 64D32300HU5C 256 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz) (2.5-3-3-7 @ 166 MHz) (2.0-2-2-6 @ 133 MHz)
BIOS Type Award (01/10/05)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

I would really appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks a lot for reading! I can supply more info on the specs of the computer if needed.

Perhaps, if you can supply some specifics as to the computer's
Manufacturer name, Model Name, Model Number we might be able to track down a driver for the ethernet controller.
For some reason it looks like it might be a Compaq computer although that could be erroneous. So any additional information you can provide might help.
Is this an integrated network adapter or an add on card? If it's an add-on card we would need additional information regarding its' manufacturer, model name and number as well as any revision number.

First of all, thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. Anyway, yes, you'd be right the PC is a Compaq Presario and the model number is SR1403WM. As for the network adapter I assume you mean the modem/router, and yes, it's integrated.

Also, might this be the manufacturer info you need?

BIOS Manufacturer:
Company Name Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
Product Information Link Removed due to 404 Error
BIOS Upgrades Link Removed - Invalid URL
[ System ]
System Properties:
Manufacturer Compaq Presario 061
Product PW532AA-ABA SR1403WM NA520
Version 0n41411RE101SALMO00
Serial Number [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Universal Unique ID [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Wake-Up Type Power Switch
[ Motherboard ]
Motherboard Properties:
Manufacturer ASUSTek Computer INC.
Product Salmon
Version 1.04
Serial Number [ TRIAL VERSION ]
Motherboard Manufacturer:
Company Name ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
CPU Manufacturer:
Company Name Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.CPUID Properties:
CPUID Manufacturer AuthenticAMD

Well unfortunately when looking here Link Removed - Invalid URL I do not see any driver for any ethernet adapter for your computer, and I would suspect that if the computer shipped with one installed and or integrated there would be a driver for it on that page. So I assume it is an add-on card.
And no I do not "mean the modem/router", what I'm referring to is whatever device that is physically a part of your computer that you suspect will allow you to connect to the network. That can be either a card that you or someone else has physically installed into an addon slot within your computer or it could be a device which is inserted into a USB connection. In either instance the device can support either a physical cable connection to your router or perhaps a wireless connection to a wireless router. Anyhow, whatever it is, we will need to know it's manufacturer, model name and number and likely a Revision number as well.
And what ever software you are using it seems to be a trial version and isn't really providing the type of information we actually will need to move forward.
Maybe take a look in device manager and see what you see as far as ethernet controllers with red or yellow marks, maybe even under other devices.
Right click My Computer > Properties > Hardware Tab > Device Manager > Right click the device you want to view > Properties > Details Tab > Select Hardware Id from the list > In the lower box titled Value: right click and choose select all then right click again and choose copy.
Paste the results into your next post and we'll see what we can find.

I'm really sorry, it turns out the problem was simple after all. The driver for one reason or another was disabled, and simply reenabling it fixed the problem. Thank you so much for your time though :) I really apreciate it. Felt like I was losing my mind not being able to figure out what the problem was.

Good news and nice work. Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with the follow-up information. It's good to get an easy one now and then they seem to be few and far between.
Thanks for joining our community and we hope to continue to see you around.
Best Wishes
Randy

Back