Windows 7 Cannot Install ANY Operating System on Laptop

absintheraven

I recently acquired a used laptop. Upon receiving, I discovered the installed operating system had been a bootleg copy. I removed it and then proceeded to use an Ubuntu Live USB to attempt to install. This did not work because the "installer quit working." Moving on... I used a burned copy of the Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 .iso file, as the laptop does have a valid product key still attached. This also did not work. I attempted to reformat both HDDs in the laptop and both worked fine. Come install time again, it did not work. I repeatedly receive the same errors. The memory and HDDs check out fine, as do all other components. (I'm actually using the laptop right now, with the Ubuntu Live session on disc.) Any and all help would be appreciated. I would love to be able to make this bit of equipment usable.

-Computer-
HP Pavilion dV7
Processor : 3x AMD Phenom(tm) II N830 Triple-Core Processor
Memory : 7914MB (2854MB used)
Operating System : Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
User Name : ubuntu (Live session user)
Date/Time : Sat 19 Jul 2014 04:19:20 AM EDT
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
-SCSI Disks-
ATA WDC WD3200BEKT-6
hp BDDVDRW CT21L
ATA WDC WD3200BEKT-6

Some of the Linux liveDVDs have an optional "failsafe" install mode (if I remember right, at least some of the Debian distros do, I forget which others). This type of installation tries to overcome problems encountered and also provides running commentary on what is happening. Running this type of install may reveal what the problem is (or even install an OS).

If you want to use Windows 7, and you say you have a valid product key, I would suggest you contact Microsoft. They can validate the key.

Otherwise, generally, it may be you have some residues, and you should totally clean your disk through GParted http://gparted.org/ or some other partition program. Just delete all partitions, then create new ones.

Back
Top Bottom