Windows 10 Can't access Windows apps

tituswife63

Several weeks ago, I had to do a restart on my Asus laptop (Norton couldn't repair a drive). Since then, I can't access any Windows apps (One Drive, Store, etc.) According to Windows, I have no internet access, which just isn't true (I'm using it for everything else!). I had two chat sessions with them. Bottom line, they were no help, and wanted me to to spend $149, and allow them to access my laptop, and look at it (interesting, since according to Windows on my computer I have no internet access.) I've done everything I can think of, followed the directions for every Mr. Google solution, but still no Windows access. If appreciate some help. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

You can try re-registering all the Windows Apps that are installed.

Open an elevated powershell prompt and type, or copy paste,
Get-AppXPackage | % { Add-AppXPackage -Path "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" -Register -DisableDevelopment }

You can try re-registering all the Windows Apps that are installed.

Open an elevated powershell prompt and type, or copy paste,
Get-AppXPackage | % { Add-AppXPackage -Path "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" -Register -DisableDevelopment }
I will give that a try. Thank you!

Right click on the start menu and you will see powershell listed.
I got that. It did its computer stuff, now it's back to the prompt. I still can't access Store, and Microsoft still thinks I'm not connected to the internet. Should I try rebooting? Thanks.

You may need to delete the user specific settings for the store then re-register again. I'm not in front of a Windows box so I can't give you the exact path until I get home, but it should be in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\somethingApps

AppData is hidden by default so you can just type \AppData in the top bar once you navigate to your user profile

You may need to delete the user specific settings for the store then re-register again. I'm not in front of a Windows box so I can't give you the exact path until I get home, but it should be in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\somethingApps

AppData is hidden by default so you can just type \AppData in the top bar once you navigate to your user profile
I'll try that, too. I sure appreciate your time, and expertise. Thanks, again.

I did that. In settings, I'm trying to verify my accounts. Both say that my passwords are incorrect. They are correct! (Also, this has been the case since I first did the restart. I forgot to mention that.) I could do a password reset, but I hate what Microsoft puts you through to verify that, and I'm not sure that it will help! Any ideas. Thanks, again.

This is the full path "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.WindowsStore_8wekyb3d8bbwe" the folder is locked by the system process so you may need to boot into safe mode to rename the directory.

If it's telling you the passwords are incorrect then they are.
I updated my passwords, but I can't verify my Windows account. It just keeps trying. I'm going to start back at the beginning tomorrow. Maybe the second go around will work. Thanks again for your help.

Hi

If all else fails, you could back up your data files and do a clean install of Windows.
It's a lot of hassle but if nothing else is working that should get you back to normal.

Download Windows 10

If you end up doing that, make sure that you log into your Windows account online and are sure of the ID that Microsoft is looking for, before doing the install.

I don't know of any way that the Windows Microsoft account login won't be the same as your Microsoft Account, but I don't know everything. LOL

I use an email address as my account ID and I have changed it. when I did it online it changed for my Windows login as well.

So it seems to be automatic.

I can't think of a way that a clean install wouldn't fix the issue.

Once you have your computer back to normal I really recommend that you make a System Image of your C:\ drive so that you have an easy way to recover from this kind of thing in the future.

I use EaseUS Todo backup but there are many options, I wouldn't use the native Windows one though.

Best free backup software for Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, etc - EaseUS Todo Backup Free

Mike

Hi

If all else fails, you could back up your data files and do a clean install of Windows.
It's a lot of hassle but if nothing else is working that should get you back to normal.

Download Windows 10

If you end up doing that, make sure that you log into your Windows account online and are sure of the ID that Microsoft is looking for, before doing the install.

I don't know of any way that the Windows Microsoft account login won't be the same as your Microsoft Account, but I don't know everything. LOL

I use an email address as my account ID and I have changed it. when I did it online it changed for my Windows login as well.

So it seems to be automatic.

I can't think of a way that a clean install wouldn't fix the issue.

Once you have your computer back to normal I really recommend that you make a System Image of your C:\ drive so that you have an easy way to recover from this kind of thing in the future.

I use EaseUS Todo backup but there are many options, I wouldn't use the native Windows one though.

Best free backup software for Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, etc - EaseUS Todo Backup Free

Mike
I may have to try this. I appreciate the time and expertise otherwise provided, but it's beyond my abilities. This is different than doing the restart which started this problem?

I think Norton offers a system image tool.

Thank you so much.

I may have to try this. I appreciate the time and expertise otherwise provided, but it's beyond my abilities. This is different than doing the restart which started this problem?

I think Norton offers a system image tool.

Thank you so much.

So, I back up my data (all of C and D?) to an external drive, and then use the link that you provided? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom