Windows 7 Can't connect directly to wifi but can using iphone as hotspot - limited access, changing it to publ

quindogg

Hi,

I have been using my home internet in my new place for a couple of weeks fine, yesterday morning when I tried it it had the limited access yellow triangle and wouldn’t connect.
I reset the router and connected to the wifi on my iphone which worked fine, I checked the DNS numbers were the same as on my iphone which they were and I had not changed any settings. I spent the entire day yesterday online looking for solutions, I’ve reset the adapter, disabled it etc, set the ip and dns to automatic and back again etc etc.
When my wifi tries to connect to my home internet it takes a LONG time to identify and then identifies it either as an unidentified network and/or public. Even when I change it to home it changes it back to public or just doesn’t let me change it to home and says try again later.
So I got frustrated and gave up so am now using my iphone hotspot app to connect my laptop to the home wifi via my iphone. This shows that it’s not a problem with the network adapter, but with this one direct connection only. Also I’ve tried in safe mode and it still doesn’t connect but via my iphone it does.

Please help, I’ve run out of ideas!

Ps- I just tried disabling then reenabling the protocol 6 on the wifi which isn’t working and it just said “in order to configure TCP/IP, you must install and enable a network adapter card. But then it just let me configure it and is still connected but with limited access and public network.

Hi

Sounds like you have tried almost everything.

If you haven't tried uninstalling your network adapter in device manager and then rebooting do that.

If will force Windows to re-detect, configure, and find drivers for your network device.

Windows is usually very good at setting up networks connections so maybe that will correct what ever is wrong.

Beyond that I don't have any idea, I don't use wireless on my own computer and my wife's always seems to work.

I have had times when my cable connection would show limited access but not connect to anything.
A call to Comcast fixed that, but since you can connect with other devices it doesn't seem like it's on their end.

Mike

Hey, thanks for that advice. I tried it and still had the same problem once it reinstalled.

Anyone else have any ideas?

:confused:

What kind of signal are you showing for the wireless network?

If you right (or left?) click the wireless adapter icon, do you show more than one network connection available?

Have you changed the SSID for your network, or your security settings?

Hello and welcome to the forum.
What is the manufacturer name, model name, model number, revision number, driver version currently installed, driver date currently installed for your problem wireless adapter?
What is the manufacturer name, model name, model number, revision number, firmware version and date currently installed on your wireless router?
Open the services console Click the StartOrb-> and type
services.msc
and hit enter
scroll as necessary and attempt to locate either or both
"Bonjour Service" or a service identified by a text string similar to ##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762##
If either or both are present, double click them, change the startup type to disabled and click the stop button.
Regards
Randy

What kind of signal are you showing for the wireless network?

If you right (or left?) click the wireless adapter icon, do you show more than one network connection available?

Have you changed the SSID for your network, or your security settings?

Hi, there are loads of connections available but obviously i only have the password to one. I don't know what SSID is and i have no virus protection if that's what you mean?

Hello and welcome to the forum.
What is the manufacturer name, model name, model number, revision number, driver version currently installed, driver date currently installed for your problem wireless adapter?
What is the manufacturer name, model name, model number, revision number, firmware version and date currently installed on your wireless router?
Open the services console Click the StartOrb-> and type
services.msc
and hit enter
scroll as necessary and attempt to locate either or both
"Bonjour Service" or a service identified by a text string similar to ##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762##
If either or both are present, double click them, change the startup type to disabled and click the stop button.
Regards
Randy

Hi, I haven't got a clue about the router as it's in my landlord's room and he's never in and locks his room. How do I find the network adapter's details?

I searched in services and bonjour is already disabled and i dont have the other this starting with ##.

ps: everyone else in the flat's laptops are still working fine, as is my iphone on this wifi connection which im currently using

Last edited:
Hi, I haven't got a clue about the router as it's in my landlord's room and he's never in and locks his room. How do I find the network adapter's details?
May be difficult to trouble shooter further if your landlord has some type of filtering in place on the router and that is what is preventing you from accessing the network.
As far as the information regarding your actual wireless adapter properties, simply
Click the Start Orb and type
Device Manager
and hit enter
expand Network Adapters
select then right click the problem adapter and choose properties
select the driver tab and use the Windows Snipping Tool to take an snapshot and attach the image to your next post.

Last edited:
May be difficult to trouble shooter further if your landlord has some type of filtering in place on the router and that is what is preventing you from accessing the network.
As far as the information regarding your actual wireless adapter properties, simply
Click the Start Orb and type
Device Manager
and hit enter
expand Network Adapters
select then right click the problem adapter and choose properties
select the driver tab and use the Windows Snipping Tool to take an snapshot and attach the image to your next post.

Ok thanks, have done this. I am certain it's nothing to do with anything blocking my laptop since my iphone and 3 other people's laptops in this flat work perfectly well on the flat wifi and my laptop worked fine for 2 weeks. Any ideas? wifi.jpg

OK will do, i also found that in details when i try to connect it says autoconfiguration ipv4 instead of just ipv4... this seems suspicious.wifi2.jpg

That is the actual problem and not an indicator of what is actually causing this to happen. That is an APIPA resolution which for some reason Microsoft thought was better than just seeing all zeros, when your adapter cannot successfully communicate with whatever is handing out DHCP addressing for your network (usually your router).
We need to try to determine why it is not receiving useable IP addressing from that source. And usually it is either due to MAC filtering at the router (you may see something in the event viewer regarding IP denied or something of that sort) or else a bad or less than optimal driver or old firmware on the router.

All drivers are up to date! what now? :(
I don't know, have you rebooted your machine after the driver update? Have you checked the driver properties to make sure the update actually worked and the new version and date are reflected properly? Are you still not able to connect?
Have you launched a command prompted and typed
ipconfig /release
hit enter
and then type
ipconfig /renew
hit enter

Hi, there are loads of connections available but obviously i only have the password to one. I don't know what SSID is and i have no virus protection if that's what you mean?

An SSID is the station identifier for the wireless network. If you are not using the correct one it might make a difference.

The security I am referring to is the Wireless WAP or WEP or whatever. Maybe it was changed since you say the router is in another area and not under your control.

I don't know, have you rebooted your machine after the driver update? Have you checked the driver properties to make sure the update actually worked and the new version and date are reflected properly? Are you still not able to connect?
Have you launched a command prompted and typed
ipconfig /release
hit enter
and then type
ipconfig /renew
hit enter

just did all of that and no change.

just did all of that and no change.
Do you mean that the driver version number and date did not change after the update?
Do you know how many addresses are in the DHCP pool? Do you know how long a typical lease time is? Have other devices been connected to the network recently? Your landlord may have decided that he will support X number of connections and has restricted the DHCP pool to provision for that decision and as a consequence there are no more address available.
Additionally you may want to rebuild your wireless profile, as Saltgrass has indicated it may not be accurate any longer. Use the network and sharing center, manage wireless networks, delete the problem profile, close the network and sharing center. Click the wireless indicator in the system tray and start over.
Regards
Randy

Do you mean that the driver version number and date did not change after the update?
Do you know how many addresses are in the DHCP pool? Do you know how long a typical lease time is? Have other devices been connected to the network recently? Your landlord may have decided that he will support X number of connections and has restricted the DHCP pool to provision for that decision and as a consequence there are no more address available.
Additionally you may want to rebuild your wireless profile, as Saltgrass has indicated it may not be accurate any longer. Use the network and sharing center, manage wireless networks, delete the problem profile, close the network and sharing center. Click the wireless indicator in the system tray and start over.
Regards
Randy

Hi, yes the date for the driver didn't change. I have no idea what a DHCP pool is or a typical lease time...?! No one else is in at the moment but my iphone is connected to the wifi and via hotspot so is my laptop. I will ask my landlord if he has done that but doesn't that mean that since i'm the only one in now it should work?

I had already deleted and restarted the wireless connection in network and sharing centre several times!

Back
Top Bottom