Windows 10 Can't Delete Shortcut

Hermitkrab

Honorable Member
There is a shortcut on my desktop which leads to a photo in my one drive folder. When I right click on the shortcut tile I get every option except "delete". In the past I've always been able to delete shortcuts by right clicking and selecting "delete". Why doesn't it work on this one? Thanks for your insight.

Hi Ed,
It works on my W10 desktop.:andwhat: It could be a few things. Possibly the sync from the source picture to it's copy on your OneDrive could be bad. You might try deleting it on your OneDrive location, and then wait 1 hr. for it to un-sync from the One Drive. Then try to re-copy it to a different location or folder on your OneDrive. Wait another 1 hr., create a 2nd shortcut onto your desktop and right click on the shortcut and see if you get the Delete option, and can delete it. Hopefully, that works! :up:

If not, your W10 might have some corruption.:wound: It also might have been scrambled by a virus/malware.:pirate: Did you try using your AV to scan for viruses and remove all found? You should also download the free Malwarebytes from malwarebytes.org and scan/remove any found spyware viruses. Hopefully, removal of the viruse(s) may also fix the problem.:iee:

If the problem persists, you might try doing a System Restore and roll your windows back a week or a two and see if you can undo whatever is causing the problem with your Windows corruption.

Let us know how you get on.
Cheers!:D
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

I had something similar a while ago. This might work for you.

I copied, from my username, the "desktop to a temp folder. In the temp folder I deleted the offending icon. I then deleted the username desktop and copied the one back from the temp folder.

Hi

You could also try moving the file out of the one drive folder to another location and then see if it will let you remove the shortcut.

Mike

Don't know what happened, but the shortcut is gone from my desktop now. All's well that ends well. Thanks, everyone.

Back
Top Bottom