Windows 7 Can't dock items to the taskbar?

Matthias

This is very weird. Somehow I can't dock any programms to the taskbar anymore. I still can remove them, but I simply can't add new one. Does anyone know what the cause of this could be?

How are you docking them? Are you aware of the right click "pin to taskbar" option?

This is very weird. Somehow I can't dock any programms to the taskbar anymore. I still can remove them, but I simply can't add new one. Does anyone know what the cause of this could be?

I'll tell you what works for me... simply drag and drop the shortcut (or the program itself if you are looking at it from Windows Explorer)... to the task bar..

notice if you have the program already running ... like your browser is loaded when you are reading this... it won't take it unless you close it first.

How are you docking them? Are you aware of the right click "pin to taskbar" option?

Yeah, I am, except that it isn't there anymore! I don't know what happened, but that option simply isn't there anymore.

I'll tell you what works for me... simply drag and drop the shortcut (or the program itself if you are looking at it from Windows Explorer)... to the task bar..

notice if you have the program already running ... like your browser is loaded when you are reading this... it won't take it unless you close it first.
Same here, a few days ago that worked, but now it doesn't anymore.

Have you recently used the fix to remove the shortcut arrows? If so that is the problem.

Have you recently used the fix to remove the shortcut arrows? If so that is the problem.
Bingo! Will try that. Is there any quick way to reset this. I changed those settings with a program I don't have on the PC anymore.

You may not need to go to such lengths. Download the atached file and run the last item (restore..etc)

Last edited:
Well, the docking is working again now, but now there are some black boxes everywhere where the shortcut arrow once used to be. :frown:

Your icon cache is probably still dominating. It will probaly go away after a few rboots, but try this:

Right-click a blank area of your desktop and select Personalize.
Click Display - Adjust Resolution.
Click Advanced settings - Monitor Tab
3. On the Colors drop down menu, select 16 bit.
4. Click Apply.
5. When Windows asks you if you want to keep these settings, click No to revert your color depth to 32 bits.

Your icon cache is probably still dominating. It will probaly go away after a few rboots, but try this:

Right-click a blank area of your desktop and select Personalize.
Click Display - Adjust Resolution.
Click Advanced settings - Monitor Tab
3. On the Colors drop down menu, select 16 bit.
4. Click Apply.
5. When Windows asks you if you want to keep these settings, click No to revert your color depth to 32 bits.
Didn't do anything. Thanks for the help though. I hope this will sort itself out soon enough or someone else knows a solution.

Well, the docking is working again now, but now there are some black boxes everywhere where the shortcut arrow once used to be. :frown:

That utility is an old one that doesn't work with Win 7. It worked to remove the old boxes around the text below icons. You need to use a program called win 7 toolkit if you want to remove shortcut icons in win 7 the old registry tweaks don't work anymore either.

Back