Windows 7 Can't get online; Windows 7 Pro set up a public network (?) & lost LAN

melissajkelly

This is a long story and I’m not sure where to start. I’ll start with the problem THEN explain what I’ve tried (for those who think they can help and want to keep reading).

PROBLEM:
I can’t get online. Icon in taskbar says I don’t have a network connection. Upon exploring, I find that Windows 7 Pro has me setup for a “public network”—which has a yellow exclamation mark on the left side between my PC and the network, and a red X on the right side between the network and the Internet.

DETAILS:
Dell desktop PC. Was running Windows 7 Home, now running Windows 7 Pro (full install; not upgrade). I had a malware problem (images on webpages and links, etc. were not visible to me) with W7Home; cleaned it and went to W7Pro. However, now I have this whole new and far worse problem with W7Pro. (See “problem” above.) NOTE: I am the only person in my house and the only person using the computer. So I never had it set up for a network. I only own the desktop PC and don’t need a network. The “network” that is now set up on my computer was set up by W7Pro by itself as part of the problem. My IP is not static so I can’t input my IP manually—it’s set to automatically detect. Called cable modem service provider; they made the assumption my operating system came with my PC and told me to call Dell for support. When I explained my OS didn’t come with the PC, they then said “You need to talk to Microsoft.” Uh---no. The cable modem service provider said their server is talking to my PC…my PC is unable to get to them. (Makes sense, as that matches the pictures I’m seeing with the exclamation mark and red X.)

TRIED:
Researched online. Followed all possible fixes found in multiple forums. Removed Bonjour. There is now no trace of Bonjour on my PC. Disabled Windows Firewall. Tried disabling, enabling, etc. numerous times. Tried diagnosing, etc. No LAN connection. Network is set to Public and I can’t change it to Home. I don’t even want to change it—I want to REMOVE IT as I have no use for a network. Can’t figure out what to do.

Yesterday I booted to CD and installed W7Pro again, hoping to get rid of the problem. No change. I booted to my Dell disk to revert back to W7Home, hoping to get rid of the problem. No change. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! L

I even tried to go all the way back to W95, but the PC wouldn’t let me. (I have 64-bit on this PC; assume that’s why as the old W95, W98, ME, and XP disks were for 32-bit PCs.)

HELP NEEDED:
What can I do here? Any ideas? I’m at a complete loss. I need to delete the network somehow? I need to figure out what’s blocking me from getting to the Internet so I can get on. Or I need to delete W7 from my PC so I can install it again from disk---otherwise reinstalling it from disk over the old version isn’t changing my settings. L Is it even possible to go to C and “format” like you could in the old days…and if I did, would it then not boot from the CD? (Or recognize my keyboard, as the first thing it says to do when booting is press any key to boot from CD…) I’m desperate. This purple Dell computer has become a darned EXPENSIVE paperweight!!!!! I’ve been offline for 3 weeks… 8o|

Oh…and I can’t run any diagnostics and save the info as I can only get online at work M-F.

Any helps is appreciated!

The fact that you have done some installing / uninstalling / reinstalling of Operating Systems might suggest that perhaps whatever driver is needed by your network adapter (wired or wireless, you don't say) may be required and is not provided natively by the Windows 7 install. So perhaps go to Dell's site, plug in your service tag number and download the latest driver they have available, burn it to a CD or your thumb drive and take it home and see if that helps.
Additionally, you might want to disable IPv6 within the properties of your network adapter, sometimes that can be an issue with some routers.
How are you connecting? Are you plugging (wired) directly into your ISP provided device or do you have an additional network appliance, like your own Router.
Some specifics as to the hardware involved Computer, Network adapter, Network appliances, etc., Any specs you can provide as to Manufacturer, Model Name, Model Number, Driver Version numbers and dates might help.
When you have an opportunity, open a command prompt on the problem PC and type
ipconfig /all > desktop\ipconfig.txt
that should put a file on your desktop with the relative IP addressing scheme information, if you can upload that file, it might prove helpful;
But my suspicions are that it is likely to be a APIPA address something like 169.254.nnn.nnn and no default gateway, which is indicative of not being able to reach a DHCP server.
There are other things that might help but we need more information regarding the actual problem hardware involved. We understand the problem, just not the specs on the computer and network.
And it will not likely be easy to resolve if your only other form of communication is at work.
Regards
Randy

So perhaps go to Dell's site, plug in your service tag number and download the latest driver they have available, burn it to a CD or your thumb drive and take it home and see if that helps.
Additionally, you might want to disable IPv6 within the properties of your network adapter, sometimes that can be an issue with some routers.
How are you connecting? Are you plugging (wired) directly into your ISP provided device or do you have an additional network appliance, like your own Router.
........When you have an opportunity, open a command prompt on the problem PC and type
ipconfig /all > desktop\ipconfig.txt
that should put a file on your desktop with the relative IP addressing scheme information, if you can upload that file, it might prove helpful;
But my suspicions are that it is likely to be a APIPA address something like 169.254.nnn.nnn and no default gateway, which is indicative of not being able to reach a DHCP server.
There are other things that might help but we need more information regarding the actual problem hardware involved. We understand the problem, just not the specs on the computer and network.
And it will not likely be easy to resolve if your only other form of communication is at work.
Regards
Randy

Thanks, Randy. Some more info in response to your questions:

I have all my Dell downloads on disk already. So I can try that, but as I recall nothing associated with the modem is on the downloads. I also have all my drivers (from when my PC and Internet was working fine) on a "drivers" disk. I have my cable modem disk too (Arris Touchstone 440 or 460 if my member serves me right)---again, it was working fine with W7Home edition and was working fine for a few days with W7Pro. It quit working when I installed iTunes last Sunday--so I think the problem WAS associated with the Bonjour issue, but Bonjour has now been removed from the PC.

How do I update a driver?

I tried disabling IPv6 but it didn't fix anything so I re-enabled it.

I am hard-wired, no router.

I will run ipconfig /all > desktop\ipconfig.txt and save the log to a USB stick that I'll bring into work tomorrow morning so I can post the info for you.

You are correct that the IP is set to 169.254.nnn.nnn--and I do recall that default gateway is completely blank. I will get you that info, too.

Again, as for "specs" on my "network," I didn't have a network before this happened. I never set one up. Last weekend something blocked my PC from detecting the IP from my cable modem provider, so it's my understanding that the PC set it to 169.254.nnn.nnn.

This is sooo incredibly frustrating!! Thank you for your help, everyone. ~Melissa

The fact that your network is being identified as public, in that it is not receiving proper IP addressing from the DHCP server on your network is the actual reason you do not have internet access. It is not two problems it is a single common problem.
I wouldn't suspect that you would need a disk for the ARRIS modem, I have the same or at least similar device from Comcast (Xfinity) and it doesn't require any drivers. The network adapter in your computer however does need a driver and dell will likely have one that should work, but you can also attempt to obtain a more current driver from the device manufacturer's website.
How do I update a driver?
Code:
[B]Driver Install - Manual Method[/B]

[LIST=1]
[*]Download the driver and extract it to a folder. 
[*]Open the [B]Device Manager.[/B] 
[*]Right click the device you wish to change the drivers for. [I]You can select [B]Properties > Driver > Driver Details[/B] to check you have the right device.[/I] 
[*]Choose [B]Update Driver Software.[/B] 
[*]Select [B]Browse My Computer For Driver Software.[/B] 
[*]Select [B]Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.[/B] 
[*]Select [B]Have disk...[/B] 
[*]Select [B]Browse..[/B] 
[*]Navigate to the extracted folder and double click on the [B].inf [/B]file 
[*]Hit [B]OK[/B], then [B]Next[/B] and the driver[I](s)[/I] will then begin to install. 
[*]After it has installed, GoTo [B]C:\Windows\System32\Drivers[/B]. Locate the driver you've just updated, right click it and check the dates under its properties. 
[/LIST]
Regarding your suspicion concerning the Bonjour service. You just need to double check and make sure that it is no longer enabled in the services console. A good indicator is usually just to launch
Task Manager and see if you see something called mDNSresponder.exe running. If so then either Bonjour or one of its' several cousins are still present.
Now regarding your network. You do have a network. When you plug your computer into a network appliance, it sort of just happens, you have a network. Yours is being identified as Public, because it is not receiving proper IP addressing and does not have a default gateway and as a result you are going to be stuck on Public until you can resolve this and then you'll be prompted as to how to define it as Private (Home or Work)

Code:
[B]Driver Install - Manual Method[/B]

[LIST=1]
[*]Download the driver and extract it to a folder.
[*]Open the [B]Device Manager.[/B]
[*]Right click the device you wish to change the drivers for. [I]You can select [B]Properties > Driver > Driver Details[/B] to check you have the right device.[/I]
[*]Choose [B]Update Driver Software.[/B]
[*]Select [B]Browse My Computer For Driver Software.[/B]
[*]Select [B]Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.[/B]
[*]Select [B]Have disk...[/B]
[*]Select [B]Browse..[/B]
[*]Navigate to the extracted folder and double click on the [B].inf [/B]file
[*]Hit [B]OK[/B], then [B]Next[/B] and the driver[I](s)[/I] will then begin to install.
[*]After it has installed, GoTo [B]C:\Windows\System32\Drivers[/B]. Locate the driver you've just updated, right click it and check the dates under its properties.
[/LIST]
Regarding your suspicion concerning the Bonjour service. You just need to double check and make sure that it is no longer enabled in the services console. A good indicator is usually just to launch
Task Manager and see if you see something called mDNSresponder.exe running. If so then either Bonjour or one of its' several cousins are still present.
Now regarding your network. You do have a network. When you plug your computer into a network appliance, it sort of just happens, you have a network. Yours is being identified as Public, because it is not receiving proper IP addressing and does not have a default gateway and as a result you are going to be stuck on Public until you can resolve this and then you'll be prompted as to how to define it as Private (Home or Work)

Thank you both for helping.

1. Bonjour was removed from my PC last week. So mDNSresponder.exe is not found on my system.
  2. I reinstalled the drivers for my Realtek RTL8102E/RTL8103E Family PCI-E Fa this morning. No change--still can't get online.
  3. Below is the IPCONFIG from my PC--this was done AFTER reinstalling the drivers. Interesting...I had written down the bogus IP last week as 169.254.215.173 and now it's showing up as "169.254.211.88(Preferred)"

BEGIN IPCONFIG.TXT FILE

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig/all
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : OFFICE
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8102E/RTL8103E Family PCI-E Fa
st Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-25-64-E8-B8-D2
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::6853:c274:d8f8:d358%11(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.211.88(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234890596
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-17-13-6A-EC-00-25-64-E8-B8-D2
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
Tunnel adapter isatap.{B17F2E4E-67B7-4BE6-B9FB-BA40A6DC4C65}:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Any help is appreciated. Keep in mind, please, that I will need step-by-step instructions on what to do if I need to make changes. Oh---and from the "Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]" above, can you tell me if that's the W7Home or W7Pro install? I can't remember which one I "left off on" when I was attempting reinstalls. If I'm going to make the changes you guys suggest I probably want to start with W7Pro just in case we can get it running and I want to keep that OS. Thank you! ~Melissa

Please go here Realtek
and download and install the driver described as Win7 and WinServer 2008 R2 Driver 7.053 2012/3/22 740k
See if that driver provides any relief to your issue.
You need to uncheck IPv6 again and leave it unchecked for the time being.
Make sure you reboot your network, by shutting down your computer and then unplug and remove the battery from your ARRIS. Leave it unplugged for a couple minutes and then replace the battery and plug it back in. Wait until all lights are green and then boot your computer.
After performing the above steps if you are still having the same issues please try the following;
Click the start orb and type
ncpa.cpl into the search box and hit enter
Select then right click the problem network adapter and choose properties
Click the "Configure" button near the top
Select the "Advanced" tab
In the left column (Property: ) select Network Address
In the right column (Value: ) Select the radio button next to the text box that will allow you to enter your MAC address and enter the 12 digit hex value 002564E8B8D2
OK your way back out of there and reboot the computer.
See if that helps resolve the issue and post back with any updates.
Regards
Randy

Additionally, while you are at it would you please click the start orb and type
msinfo32
and hit enter
from the file menu of the system information utility window choose
Save, save it to your desktop and give it a name MySystem.nfo is fine.
Right click the new file on your desktop and choose send to compressed (zipped) folder
Attach the zipped version to your next post, by clicking the reply button, then the go advanced button and then use the paper clip icon to Add File, Find File, Upload File.
Additionally when checking the properties of your Realtek adapter, in the box labeled "This connection uses the following items:"
Look for what remains checked, if you see anything strange there, particularly related to an old software product Like and AVG network filter or a Symantec Network filter please uncheck that as well.
Thanks
Randy

Thanks, Randy--I appreciate it. I will do everything you suggested this evening and post again tomorrow morning so you can see the results.

Melissa

OK, but for the sake of order;
Do the driver install first that I linked to then,
after that reboot and check for any superfluous network filters that may be left over from previous software installs, then
Physically add the MAC address to the network address text box and reboot again, then
Reboot your complete network, leaving things off for a couple minutes without power.
Then send a copy of your system information utility if problems persist and I'll see if I can find anything in that, that may be causing an issue.

Will do it in that order tonight and report the results tomorrow. Thanks!

Well...guess what?!! I HAVE AN INTERNET CONNECTION! ;)

I installed the driver...rebooted...reset the ARRIS modem...and up popped a window asking me what type of network I have. I choose "Home" and it then made me set up something else---a workgroup, I think. I've never had to do any of that before---when I had Windows 7 Home, I never had to set up a network to connect to the internet. This is all really weird.

But I have online access now. I didn't have to complete any of the other steps involved. Now I can reinstall software one by one...setting up a restore point and disk image as I go...and see what hoses my system again (bonjour).

I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP!!! :) I wonder if any of you an answer the ? I had about .exe files? I asked it early in the thread, and posted a seperate question about it over on the board, but noone can answer. I have a small weather application that I have in an e-mail that I want to install but Windows is blocking me from running .exe files that are attached to e-mail. That question is here:

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7...ty-feature-preventing-install.html#post258624

THANK YOU!!! ~Melissa

Glad to hear that you were able to resolve your problem and thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information and the solution that worked for you.
Thanks for joining our community and we hope to continue to see you around the forums.
Regards
Randy

I forgot to attach the other file you wanted...so you can review just in case you see anything else that looks wrong.

Attachments

• NetworkSys.nfo
    806.3 KB · Views: 433
Nothing that I see after a quick glance through that file suggests anything that would be an issue.
Since updating to the correct driver and rebooting your network seems to have corrected the issue we'll just leave well enough alone.
Joining a homegroup is an option and not a requirement and should have no negative impact if at some future time you decide to "Leave" the homegroup you have created and joined. Actually since I believe the IPv6 is the backbone of HomeGroups, I would have thought that if you had disabled IPv6 as I had suggested earlier then the Home Group issues would have been moot.
Since I believe from what you have said that your single computer is the only node on your network then Home Groups and Network Sharing is general is not a particular concern of yours. But as I have already stated it will not likely have any positive or negative impact on your day to day use of your computer.
As far as you general concern regarding Bonjour (mDNSresponder.exe). If you use iTunes, or other software (some adobe products and other software apps) that include that service, using the service console (services.msc) to set the startup type to disabled and stopping it will almost always resolve the issue and normally has no negative impact on the software or your use of the program(s) generally.
Regards
Randy

Back
Top Bottom