Windows Vista Can't Instal Vista after System Recovery

CJC

My problem is that I now have a PC which is totally unusable because after doing a system recovery it stalls when trying to instal Windows and it ‘can’t instal Vista in Safe Mode..’. Consequently, I can’t use the PC at all, particularly to uninstall the suspected faulty driver [nvlddmkm].

I would be very grateful for any help, for example, how I could uninstall the display driver which is probably causing the crash and get windows installed and working sufficiently for me to upload a new driver, to get passed this problem (via DOS..?) ?

I apologise for the length of this posting but I hope I’m giving helpful information about the problem/s and what I’ve done already – but sorry if it’s irrelevant/too much info!!

PC DETAILS
HP Pavilion a6250.uk Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Service Pack 2
NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS video card
HP w2007v monitor

PRIOR TO PROBLEM
All Windows, HP and security updates updated automatically, firewall set up and secure etc. All updates for hardware, such as video card, updated automatically (via HP alerts). No new hardware added to the computer since new, no new software added to the PC for ~12 months. No hardware attached to the PC except for printer and router when problems occurred.

PROBLEM
I periodically received [the dreaded!] error message:

Problem Event: BlueScreen
Problem description: PC DETAILS:
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.2
Locale ID: 2057
BC Code: 116
BCP1: 877EC008
BCP2: 8E6C5150
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000002
OS Version: 6_0_6002
S.Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1

Doing a system restore and/or using safe mode enabled PC to be continued to be used and shutdown properly, initially whilst I researched the problem - and discovered how common the fault was; I tried to find an update for the video card and whilst continuing to try to rectify the problem, including doing the in-built computer check (everything passed), I got the message:

“Display driver nvlddmkm failed and recovered…â€Â￾, before failing again and not recovering.

WHAT I’VE DONE
1. Disconnected the router and printer so only keyboard, mouse and monitor connected. Did System Recovery using program on hard drive to get back to factory settings. Although it said it was successful it was exactly as before and it went straight to BlueScreen.

2. Re-did System Recovery using the discs I created when PC was new. Worked sufficiently to get to the stage of being offered the start of installing Vista, but display flaky and flickering. Each time it started ‘checking the computer’s performance…’ it got a little way then crashed. Tried to start in safe mode. Told ‘Vista can’t instal in safe mode…’ and so couldn’t continue. Tried system restore a few times to get back prior to Vista instal. Same as before; had to switch off without shutdown.

3. (Using anti-static wristband etc.) removed and re-seated: hard drive, RAM, graphics card and CMOS battery. Got BlueScreen on start up.

4. Using recovery discs, performed manufacturer menu:
- Cleared partition table
- Erased master boot record
- Wiped all sectors
Finished recovery. BlueScreen on start up. Offered Startup Repair.

5. Completed a startup repair and told:
Problem Event: StartupRepair
Problem Signature 01: Autofailover
Problem Signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0
Problem Signature 03: 2
Problem Signature 04: 131074
Problem Signature 05: FailureDuringSetup
Problem Signature 06: FailureDuringSetup
Problem Signature 07: 0
Problem Signature 08: 0
Problem Signature 09: unknown
Problem Signature 10: 1168
OS Version: 6.0.60000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Session Details
System Disk = \Device\Harddisk 0
Windows Directory = c:\Windows
AutoChk Run = 0
Number of root causes = 1

[All tests performed successfully]

Root cause found:
Failure while setup in progress

So, back to square one..!
Any help VERY welcome :)

1st of all Vista should now be running on SP3, not 2 anymore.

Get your hands on a VIsta CD & do a Check Disc.

Go to HPs site, see if they offer the vid driver. If so...

Uninstall your current video via Device Manager, install the newest driver & reboot.

RSVP

Cheers,
Drew
[/QUOTe

Service pack 3 is not out for vista

Thanks for your responses (yes, it's still SP2 for Vista as far as I'm aware).

"Uninstall your current video via Device Manager, install the newest driver & reboot."

Sorry to be so dim, I know that's what I need to do, but actually how do I access device manager when I don't have Windows? Can I access it via DOS? If so, please can you tell me how/point me to where I can find out, please..?!

Many thanks.
Carolyn

Ok thanks.

No, it won't run at all - not in safe mode because there's no windows installed and you can't instal windows in safe mode - vicious circle...!

(We always used to buy Dell because you always got all the discs with it but of course we dont with HP) I assume the recovery discs don't have a full version of Vista then?
Carolyn

Thanks.

I've found where I can buy the discs (HP Partner site not HP) but I'm wondering if they'll be exact copies of what I have already so hence won't do anything differently? I've emailed them to ask if they will have more upto date versions of stuff on them etc. and so will see what they say, before I shell out the cash!

Thanks again, will let forum know if such recovery discs are different to home-produced ones!
C

One quick comment about

Ok thanks.

No, it won't run at all - not in safe mode because there's no windows installed and you can't instal windows in safe mode - vicious circle...!

(We always used to buy Dell because you always got all the discs with it but of course we dont with HP) I assume the recovery discs don't have a full version of Vista then?
Carolyn[/QUOTE

I don't no about DOS, but (HP Website) has an automatic uninstall, re-install on many drivers. I didn't have to do a thing! You will get a Direct X error for a while until you empty your disk.

Last edited:
Hi Carolyn,

If you can get to the command prompt, you could try marking the HP recovery partition Active - reboot should start the recovery program again - you may be able to run it again from there and see if it is successful this time.

OR, cd to C:\windows\system32\drivers
Then ren nvlddmkm.sys nvlddmkm.sys.old

Last edited:
I don't no about DOS, but (HP Website) has an automatic uninstall, re-install on many drivers. I didn't have to do a thing! You will get a Direct X error for a while until you empty your disk.

Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately, because I can't instal windows, I can't go online so couldn't try this. I did contact HP and they were helpful considering I wasn't paying for their help but what they suggested didn't work so hence my request for ideas here..!! I will post the outcome to all this as, judging by the problem, I'm certainly not alone!!

Cheers,
C

Recovery Disks

I think you should wait for your "Recovery Disks". You'd be totally starting over. I know that sounds repulsive, they have a point of view. I've found the "Vista Program" weak, easily disrupted by new software- Occasional factory re-installs, I think they feel, are necessary to maintain program integrity. It's not so mean really, just keep all your personal files and software.

Did you try this?

X:\Sources>cd /d C:\windows\system32\drivers

C:\Windows\System32\drivers>ren nvlddmkm.sys nvlddmkm.sys.old

Did you try this?

Thanks I'll certainly give it a go (tomorrow, not with PC today) - that's what I've been trying to find out - I know I have to rename nvllddmkm.sys to 'old' [and then instal new one], but I didn't know how to do it in DOS, so fingers crossed - can't wait to try it out..!
thanks,
C

I don't know if this will solve your problem, but it has solved mine!

Use a Win 98 boot disk......fdisk, delete partitions, format partitions then shut down system with your recovery disk(s) in the drive.

Start the puter and follow the prompts.

You might have to go to the bios and change the boot priority.

Good luck

Did you try this?

I've tried this several times but I'm unsure if it actually did rename the file but anyway on restart all was the same as before.
I then went onto drive E: - to access the recovery discs - and tried there, but am told "access is denied" - Note - I'm on as an Administrator. :(

Perhaps I'll try the loading an earlier version of windows and trying again but having seen how many problems people have had upgrading to Vista, I'm a bit wary..!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions so far though, I'm very grateful.

Last edited:
Thanks.

I've found where I can buy the discs (HP Partner site not HP) but I'm wondering if they'll be exact copies of what I have already so hence won't do anything differently? I've emailed them to ask if they will have more upto date versions of stuff on them etc. and so will see what they say, before I shell out the cash!

Thanks again, will let forum know if such recovery discs are different to home-produced ones!
C

Its' not surprising I've heard nothing and I'm glad I haven't sent the HP partner recommended site any money - it looks like I'd never see the discs... - HP users beware 'best2serve' !!!

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Hi Carolyn,

Good job you didn't send any money.

Can you get at the driver thru notepad?

Open cmd prompt, type Notepad, press enter.

Notepad should pop up. Click File , Save.

You should be able to navigate to drivers and find it - you may need to change the Notepad dropdown to All Files instead of .txt.

Rt click the driver and see what options you have.

Are you using the Command prompt on the rcovery cd's you made - there is a proper Vista cd for d/l from here with repair options - but no insatllation files of course - may be the same as those you already have - check it out:

http://www.go-windows.de/forum/down...d/?PHPSESSID=741bc93f86f17cce5dae737aa53a3877

Last edited:
Great thanks I'll try these things.

If I download the recovery disks on the PC I'm using to write this, which is xp, will it be ok to use the discs on the other PC which - is meant to be..!! - Vista?

Yes it's fine to download it on XP , it downloads as an .iso file - you need to use an isoburner to burn direct to cd - do not format the cd.

Have a look and see if it offers extra/ better options than what you already have - doesn't matter really, it's only the cost of a blank cd.

Yes it's fine to download it on XP , it downloads as an .iso file - you need to use an isoburner to burn direct to cd - do not format the cd.

Have a look and see if it offers extra/ better options than what you already have - doesn't matter really, it's only the cost of a blank cd.

I got the CD burned and recovery saved etc. and it started to instal. I entered the Vista product code (which is on the side of the PC) and that was fine and it verified the code but the program said it still couldn't open [well, it said all this in German but I think I understood it OK!] - so near yet still so far... !

I tried the notepad suggestion and I found the driver but couldn't delete.

I then created a new partition and installed XP to it and all went well until I had to verify that and of course it knew I'd used it on another PC!! so no luck there (I'd wanted to get going with xp just enough so I could delete/instal the drivers!) and then do the vista recovery.

So, I've given up and am 'getting a man in' - so frustrating...!! I know what needs to be done, I just can't do it and it's so annoying that recovery won't work: it all worked originally and for about 18months so why not now?! :confused: So annoying too as all updates/drivers etc. were up to date as far as I was aware as everything is set to automatic, including getting NVIDIA alerts!

Anyway, very many thanks for your and everyones' help and giving me your time and expertise.
Cheers,
Carolyn

There is one thing that will ceratinly let you deleye ( or preferably) move the driver to another location - e.g. move ( copy it, then delete the original) from system 32\drivers to downloads.

The free bootable Paragon Rescue disc Express. Everyone would be wise getting this.

Give it a go before "getting a man in".

Boot the cd - choose File Transfer Wizard - and you can navigate the HD copy/delete anything you want:

FREE Rescue Kit 9.0 Express - Don't wait for disaster, get instant data recovery software kit!

Find the file in the right pane - copy it to the Paragon clipboard ( highlight it and arrow it into the left pane) , click Next to find a place to put the copy.

( n.b. you can't paste onto a folder/drive - you have to open the folder/drive you want to copy the file into - find the location in the right pane and click it to open it)

Go back to the original file - highlight it and click delete.

This is a long thread so i could be gathering info improperly but here goes:
It appears that this is an nVidia card that is having an issue on an HP system. Most if not all HP systems I've experienced have onboard graphics can we revert to this through Bios or perhaps by booting with a monitor plugged into the integrated VGA port in order to get into windows and roll back this offending driver.
Also I'm not seeing anywhere that the OP mentioned an Nvidia update so perhaps this isn't a driver issue but a failed piece of physical hardware?

Back