Windows 7 Can't install drivers in device manager.

stevewitt

Yesterday I did a re-install of Windows 7 Ultimate on my PC due to a crash caused by video drivers. (That's another topic). From my previous install I learned that I had no sound and my video display wasn't right and learned that I had to download drivers from Microsoft and install them to get my sound to work and monitor to display properly. For some reason I am now unable to do that. I downloaded the appropriate drivers, went into device manger and attempted to update drivers (as administrator). I get the following message: "The best driver software for your device is already installed". My problem with audio is that the current driver doesn't work and I need the older driver to get sound. With video it's a similar situation. Does anyone have any ideas as to why device manager "thinks" it knows better than I do. Or how I can install the appropriate drivers? Thanks.

If you're talking older drivers, can you not roll back?

Don't let Windows install your drivers. Its well known not to always pick the best/latest.

You've downloaded the appropriate drivers, do they have installers or are they just the drivers i.e. 1 .cat file, 1 .sys file. 1 .inf file.

How to install drivers manually:

Download the driver and extract it to a folder.
Open the Device Manager.
Right click the relevant device.
Choose Update Driver Software.
Select Browse My Computer For Driver Software.
Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
Select Have disk...
Select Browse..
Now navigate to the extracted folder and double click on the .inf file.
Hit OK, then next, and it will then install.

Back
Top Bottom