Windows 10 Can't install Windows 10 Technical Preview

Diano

Can't install Windows 10 Technical Preview from DVD.

Downloaded ISO file & burnt on DVD.

First try, I had the C drive of a laptop's hard drive formatted & tried to install Windows 10 Technical Preview from DVD to this C drive. But the DVD could not start the computer & said, "BOOTMGR is missing."

Second try, I had the D drive of my desktop formatted & tried to install the Windows 10 Technical Preview on this partition. But the start system could not recognize the DVD. It said that there was no boot media. (Note: Windows 7 Pro. 64b. was the OS of this desktop.)

How can Windows 10 Technical Preview be installed, please?

Thanks.

Boot your system into the recovery partition to reinstall the original system back to factory settings. Then burn a set of recovery disks to enable a full recovery in the event you lose your system or it becomes unbootable. Then from within file explorer navigate to the Windows 10 setup file on the dvd you have burned from the ISO.

From your original post, can we confirm two things. First, since you were using Windows 7 your system is using a MBR (Legacy) install. And second, you have removed your Windows 7 installation and want to install Windows 10 as a Clean install?

Since you have the .iso file and have burned the Image to the DVD, not the actual .iso file, it should allow you to boot into it. Are you seeing any messages about hitting a key to boot to the DVD or is it showing as loading the Windows files?

Hi

I just want to confirm that when you said you burned the ISO to a DVD that you used a program like Imgburn to do it, making the disk bootable?

Just copying the ISO to a DVD won't do it, you have to use software to create a boot DVD from the file.

http://www.imgburn.com/

Select "Write Image file to Disk".
Then direct it to the .ISO file and the disk you want it written to.

Mike

"Downloaded ISO file & burnt on DVD.

First try, I had the C drive of a laptop's hard drive formatted & tried to install Windows 10 Technical Preview from DVD to this C drive. But the DVD could not start the computer & said, "BOOTMGR is missing."

If the burn was successful, you would have initially received a pop up message on the blank screen "Press any key to boot from the DVD". If uopu did not receive the message then :
1. The burn or download was not 100% successful.
2. You forgot to initialise the computer bios to boot from the DVD.

Hi

What he is saying is, open the bios, (you probably get a prompt on the first screen that comes up telling you how to do this.

On my computer it says "Hit Delete to enter setup") and once there look at the boot order, and see if the DVD drive is set first in the boot order.

You also need to disable "Safe Boot" while in the bios to install Windows 10 on a Windows 8 computer.

By default it is usually set that way, and if it's not it would probably just boot into Windows and not give you any error messages but check and see, but my bet is that something is wrong with the boot disk.

Not having a boot sector sounds like it wasn't created correctly.

Mike

Last edited:
From his op, Mike, he said he had formatted the HD. Blank.
Actually, the OP stated he had formatted the C partition. Did he remove any System Reserved partition -- don't know.

But since the OP has not returned, it doesn't really make a difference.

Actually, the OP stated he had formatted the C partition. Did he remove any System Reserved partition -- don't know.

Sorry, yes. Typo

"I had the C drive of a laptop's hard drive formatted & tried to install Windows 10 Technical Preview from DVD to this C drive."

As you say - it seems irrelevant history now. As usual, it would have been helpful and interesting to see the outcome.

Boot your system into the recovery partition to reinstall the original system back to factory settings. Then burn a set of recovery disks to enable a full recovery in the event you lose your system or it becomes unbootable. Then from within file explorer navigate to the Windows 10 setup file on the dvd you have burned from the ISO.

Thanks.

Yes. I have the recovery DVDs. That what I always do after purchasing a PC or laptop.

From your original post, can we confirm two things. First, since you were using Windows 7 your system is using a MBR (Legacy) install. And second, you have removed your Windows 7 installation and want to install Windows 10 as a Clean install?

Since you have the .iso file and have burned the Image to the DVD, not the actual .iso file, it should allow you to boot into it. Are you seeing any messages about hitting a key to boot to the DVD or is it showing as loading the Windows files?

Thank you.

"Since you have the .iso file and have burned the Image to the DVD, not the actual .iso file, it should allow you to boot into it."
This might be the problem. It might very well be possible that I did not have it burnt as IMAGE.

" Are you seeing any messages about hitting a key to boot to the DVD or is it showing as loading the Windows files?"
No. Not any.

Hi

I just want to confirm that when you said you burned the ISO to a DVD that you used a program like Imgburn to do it, making the disk bootable?

Just copying the ISO to a DVD won't do it, you have to use software to create a boot DVD from the file.

http://www.imgburn.com/

Select "Write Image file to Disk".
Then direct it to the .ISO file and the disk you want it written to.

Mike

Thank you.

Yes. I have Imgburn stored somewhere on my PC. But I did not use it this time. I used the burn function of Win7.

"Just copying the ISO to a DVD won't do it, you have to use software to create a boot DVD from the file."
It might very well be that I simply copied the ISO file to DVD. I'll try again and use Imgburn, as you have said.
And also, I'll burn the IMAGE to DVD as Sultgrass has mentioned.

"Downloaded ISO file & burnt on DVD.

If the burn was successful, you would have initially received a pop up message on the blank screen "Press any key to boot from the DVD". If uopu did not receive the message then :
1. The burn or download was not 100% successful.
2. You forgot to initialise the computer bios to boot from the DVD.

Thanks.

I believe, as you say, the burn was not 100% successful. Very possible that I simply copied the ISO file to the DVD and this was the reason that my laptop could not find BOOTMGR and my desktop could not recognize the DVD.

Hi

What he is saying is, open the bios, (you probably get a prompt on the first screen that comes up telling you how to do this.

On my computer it says "Hit Delete to enter setup") and once there look at the boot order, and see if the DVD drive is set first in the boot order.

You also need to disable "Safe Boot" while in the bios to install Windows 10 on a Windows 8 computer.

By default it is usually set that way, and if it's not it would probably just boot into Windows and not give you any error messages but check and see, but my bet is that something is wrong with the boot disk.

Not having a boot sector sounds like it wasn't created correctly.

Mike

Thanks.

As you have said, "... something is wrong with the boot disk.
Not having a boot sector sounds like it wasn't created correctly."
It is very possible that I did not burn the image of the ISO file on DVD, but the ISO file. And this was why the DVD could not boot. And my laptop could find BOOTMGR& my desktop did not recognize the DVD.

Thanks.

"Did he remove any System Reserved partition -- don't know."

There is not OEM reserved partition on the HDD of this laptop. The HDD in this laptop is a replacement of the original.
It is partitioned C and D. And I had the C drive formatted and tried to make a clean install of the Win 10, but ended up with a message of BOOTMGR missing.

From what all you gentlemen have said, I believe the problem is on the DVD, that is to say that I did not bur the IMAGE of the ISO file, but simply copied the ISO file to the DVD.

Sorry, yes. Typo

"I had the C drive of a laptop's hard drive formatted & tried to install Windows 10 Technical Preview from DVD to this C drive."

As you say - it seems irrelevant history now. As usual, it would have been helpful and interesting to see the outcome.

Thank you.

Sorry for coming back so late. I am a volunteer social worker trying to provide assistance to the deprived in our community. It has been keeping me very busy since the 3rd week of last December.

This is what I shall do. I" burn the DVD again, and use Imgburn, and burn the IMAGE of the ISO file to DVD.

And I shall certainly come back to present you gentlemen the report, one way or the other.

Thanks and really appreciate your goodwill.

THANK YOU, ALL OF YOU GENTLEMEN!

The IMAGE of the ISO file was burnt to a DVD disk and the installation went all the way through to the success.

THANK YOU ALL!

Hi

Glad to hear of your success.

Now, when you get it all set up, use a program like EaseUS TODO backup and Recovery to create a system image file of your install, it will also create a bootable recovery disk that will let you restore your computer from boot.

Don't install all of your software on your C:\ drive make a D:\Programs file, and a D:\Programs File (x86) and install your software there, keeping your Windows 10 installation as small as possible.

This will let you backup and restore your system in 15 to 20 minutes.
Be sure to make a backup before each major update, so if it goes wrong you can recover easily.

Also save your system image files to a folder on the D:\ drive.

I've created 17 image files of my Windows 10 installation since I installed it and restored 5 times.

This is still an early version of the software so you need to be ready for anything.

Mike

Back