Windows 7 cant open any programs after startup

zoomposite

Hey guys first post....

win 7 while browsing, suddenly restarted, I don't recall any updates being installed, but on reboot no start up programs run. Programs like firefox and itunes don't open, explorer opens and im able to browse my computer fine, everything seems to be fine but just wont open any programs, not limited to exe files either.
Have attempted to fix windows files by chucking in my win 7 disk but i get an error when it reboots 0xc0000142 winpeshl.exe failed
followed these instructions : Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums

I cant run AVG to scan for any virus, did manage to run windows defender but came up clean. Have also booted into safe mode and tried system restore, but no change

sorta stuck now not sure what could be at fault, havent messed with the registery as I dont know what im doing :|

any help would be appreciated :ar!

[langtitle=da]Re: cant open any programs after startup[/langtitle]

Bump, i have a very similar problem, if not the very same.
Before it happened i had "seemingly" succesfully removed some malicious software with Ad-Aware and Avast!, but later it rebooted out of nowhere, and now im unable to run just about all programs
There are VERY few programs that DO run, Internet Explorer(64bit) runs, however the normal version no longer works, neither does my Antivirus or other browsers, basicly all programs. Even in Safe Mode

i have already checked my registry keys, and exe file associations are normal.
when watching the process list (task manager runs as fine), it appears that any program opened is killed very fast, but does appear in the process list for a moment.

Looking for a solution to this problem aswell.

Re: [langtitle=da]Re: cant open any programs after startup[/langtitle]

Hi

This sounds like one of those viruses again, or more exactly a trojan.

The best program I have found for finding these is "SuperAntiSpyware"!

SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Run it in safe mode, if you can't install it on your computer, install it on a flash drive using another computer and run it in Safe Mode.

If you can't connect to the internet it's probably because your LAN setting have been changed.
Try to get into internet options and set them back to "Automatic".
However they probably won't stay that way until you get this fixed.

Once you have run SuperAntiSpyware post a copy of the report here.

Mike

This post ended up being the same problem...

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/51718-unable-delete-eset-nod32-folder.html

Last edited:

Hi

This sounds like one of those viruses again, or more exactly a trojan.

The best program I have found for finding these is "SuperAntiSpyware"!

SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Run it in safe mode, if you can't install it on your computer, install it on a flash drive using another computer and run it in Safe Mode.

If you can't connect to the internet it's probably because your LAN setting have been changed.
Try to get into internet options and set them back to "Automatic".
However they probably won't stay that way until you get this fixed.

Once you have run SuperAntiSpyware post a copy of the report here.

Mike

This post ended up being the same problem...

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/51718-unable-delete-eset-nod32-folder.html

Thanks for the link will try this when i get home tonite, but yes my problem seems almost identical to Mathias. Have also noticed most of my services are stopped on start up and am not able to start them.

thanks for the advice, i tried this but i am also unable to run any programs in safemode.

also, fingerprint login method does not appear on startup.

Last edited:

If it will run in normal mode it is OK to do that.
I'm almost certain that this is a virus problem.

Any advice, Im having trouble booting up in safe mode, I get to a screen that says please wait... for about 10 mins before giving me a login screen with no user name or user accout picture. Have tried my default details but they dont work. I can login ok if I boot up normally

Any suggestions to run this file in normal mode? any tricks to manual open if any?

well, the main problem is that we cant run programs in normal mode

Im thinking about creating a boot disc from avg to run a scan before booting into windows, or maybe i can run this file via DOS

Have noticed while task manager is up, while trying to open a file, it appears briefly in the processes list and it gets "killed"

I just got a phone call from a friend of mine who is having the same problems.
I spent about two hours on Skype with him and can see that his problem is the "Antivirus" Trojan thing. He's the third one in the last month.

He is trying to download SuperAntiSpyware on a old computer with dialup so no answers there yet. He was able to boot into Safe Mode but he's still running XP.

If you can't get into your computer in Safe Mode then it's a serious problem.

If you have access to a computer with a good internet connection you could try downloading and making a Ubuntu boot disk.

At the worst this will let you get into your computer and back up your files before you reinstall Windows.

Download | Ubuntu

What I don't know is whether it's possible to run SuperAntSpyware from Ubuntu?

I've never seen a computer that would boot normally and not into Safe Mode so I don't have a clue what's going on.

Maybe someone else here has some suggestions?

If not the only answer may be to do a clean install of Windows.

Mike

I already tried running the latest version of the AVG rescue boot cd by booting from CD rather than harddisk, but it came out clean.

RKill may be of help. This stops any malware installed so that in can be dealt with in the usual ways. You can download it from the link but I'm attaching copies here in 3 of its guises in case you hit download problems. Read the link first though for a better insight as to what it does.

First, the program was designed for the use in my malware removal guides so that I can have a tool that is easy to use and kills known processes that stop the use of our normal anti-malware applications. Simple as that. Nothing fancy. Just kill known malware processes so that we can use the normal anti-malware program to their job.
So in summary rkill just kills processes, imports a reg file that restores HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command, removes policies that disable regedit, taskmgr, hides your desktop icons, etc, and removes a key used by a malware protection process. Then it kills explorer so it will restart and enable some of the reg changes. Other than what is listed above, it does nothing else. It does not create a report, because this tool was not made to be fancy but made made to help novice users remove malware through my guides. Maybe in the future I will include a report of what it has killed. It is not a priority though right now.

running any of them just opens a blank console for a second or 2, and then closes.
hm?

Last edited:

It looks like the programs are trying to open but something is stopping them.

First, see if fixing your Link Removed - Invalid URL has any effect. I'd then think of going to an on-line AV scan and running one.

Trend Micro, ESET, are but a couple.

I'm having the same issues and they all started the same way with Adaware supposedly running a scan and finding a Malware virus. It recommend to remove virus and then some time later the system reboots and non of the .exe files will launch, therefore you can not access Internet Explorer, run an Anti virus software or install an Anti Virus software from a different computer. I've tried reinstalling Windows 7 and halfway through I get this Winpeshl.exe Unable to start correctly (0CX0000142) error message. So I'm stuck, I can scan for the virus and I can not reinstall Windows 7. Any suggestions?

Hi

First check out this link...

Startup Repair - Windows 7 Forums

If that doesn't work then at this point you will probably have to do a clean install of Windows 7.

Check out this video....

YouTube - How to Format and Reinstall Windows 7

Before you do that you are probably going to want to make a boot DVD and backup your files.
I use Ubuntu ........

Download | Ubuntu

A lot of people favor Ultimate Boot CD...

Ultimate Boot CD - Download the UBCD

To create the disk from the ISO you will need ImageBurn...

The Official ImgBurn Website

Once you have downloaded the .iso file run it through Image burn to create a bootable disk.
Then boot your computer from it and save your files to an external hard drive or DVDs.

Once you data is safe follow the instructions in the video.
If you do not have data on your computer that you need to save then just go ahead with the reinstall.

Mike

Back