Windows 7 Can't rearrange my desktop icons

maryi

Hi everyone,

I've bought the Asus 1200 HA laptop with Windows7 but I can't rearrange my desktop icons like the way I want them to. Does anyone here knows what kind of settings I must change for this?

Thank you and greetings

It must be possible because on my old laptop I could set any icon or folder at any location on my desktop but now they're all preset or maybe better said; next to each other.

right click on blank spot on desk Top go to organize take a look to see what is checked for Icons your machine may be set up for auto organize or align to grid.

Make sure your desktop isn't locked. Right click and confirm that it isn't.

Apparently this resolved the problem. Having the same problem on one of my four Windows 7 installations, I am not aware of locking/unlocking the desktop, nor does Win7 Help give any reference to locking/unlocking desktop. Did you mean locking/unlocking taskbar? I have tried locking /unlocking taskbar, checking & unchecking under right click View 'auto arrange' & 'align to grid', deleted icon cache in AppData/Local, found the hard way that the icon spacing otions from Vista are no longer available.

I'd greatly appreciate any further help/suggestions.

Peter K

To set mine up I have it set to sort by none checked and have maintain sorting check
This may be what he is talking about

To set mine up I have it set to sort by none checked and have maintain sorting check
This may be what he is talking about

Thanks for your reply.
I'm still not following. On my installation, right ckicking on desktop gives 'View', 'Sort by' & 'Personalize' as relevant options. 'Sort by' does not have 'None' as an option, but checking neither of the options would be the same thing & that's what I have. I do not have a 'maintain sorting' or similar option anywhere, that I am aware of. (Frustrating thing, at least two of the other three Windows 7 installation have exactly the same options set & there I can rearrange as I want.) The changes under 'Personalize' really only afect several icons which can be shown & what pctures are shown with them. I have changed all of those options several times, no change!

Peter K

Back
Top Bottom