Windows 7 Can't see other computers in network (7057)

slayman

I know that the Windows 7 Homegroups only work with other PC with homegroup.
But I'm trying to find my other computers running XP with my windows 7 laptop.

I've searched through the forums but haven't found any answers.
The other computers can see me but they can't access me.

I know that the Windows 7 Homegroups only work with other PC with homegroup.
But I'm trying to find my other computers running XP with my windows 7 laptop.

I've searched through the forums but haven't found any answers.
The other computers can see me but they can't access me.
Dis you check the post at http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-networking/3909-xp-pro-sp3-can-not-connect-win-7-7057-a.html

• You should start your troubleshoot from your Network adapter driver installation in the Laptop with Win 7 making sure to install the latest VISTA compatible drivers from the Laptop manufacturer's site for whatever Bits type of Win 7 you are installing in that laptop( not to be satisfied with and relied upon with just what Windows 7 installs during setup and shows in DM that everything is OK. [I had that problem and Win 7 PC was unable to see my other non-Win 7 Computers ( Win 2K sp4, WinXP Pro SP3 and PCLinux OS computers) in my Home Wireless and Wired Hybrid network until I used Device Manager to " Update driver software...> Browse my computer.... and browse to the location of VISTA drivers ( CD drive) for my Wireless adapter from the Wireless Card manufacturer. I experienced this problem in the same PC with the 64 Bit and Builds 7000, 7048 and 7062 and in all these instances initially the Device Manager had shown that the Device has the right driver! Once I installed VISTA driver from the disc everything worked OK.
  • You must also make sure all computers including your win 7 has the VERY SAME Workgroup name.
  • Make sure your Admin Login name and password are the same in all networked PCs including Win 7
  • Make sure to Refresh View menu in Network in Win 7 once all the above are done for the "missing computers to show up"
I used the above to solve my problem and my network is functioning well with file and Printer sharing going very well.
If you post details [ Make and Models] of your hardware and software environment including Network adapters and Router , I will try to assist you with the problem. Good luck.

Last edited:
Yeah I've checked that, didin't help.

I know why the other computers can't get into my folders, that problem I managed to fix.

But still got the problem that I can't find the other computers.

My first post was maybe a bit unclear.

I couldn't access the files on my Win7 computer because it said that I didn't have permission.

Last edited:
Yeah I've checked that, didin't help.

I know why the other computers can't get into my folders, that problem I managed to fix.

If I understood you right, you are saying all networked Computers appear in the Network folder of Windows 7 Computer and similarly in each of the other's computer's Network place / Computers near me> View workgroup computers you are able to see itself and all other computers in the network including Win 7 after you "managed to fix it " [ details of how "you manged to fix it" will be of interest to the readers of this thread:)]
But still got the problem that I can't find the other computers.

That part seem to contradict the ealier sentence!

Are you now saying that
  1. you can see all the networked computers from the Network folder of your Win 7 Computer,
  2. you are unable to share any resources ( files Printers etc) from the other Computers in the network ?
If the answers to the above :
1. yes, can see all networked computers 2. yes, unable to share files and printers from other computers

Then:

1. Are you now able to view Win 7 from other PCs?
  2. Are you now able to share Files or attached Printer of Win 7 PC from the other computers' Network places ?
  3. Are you able to successfully ping the IP addresses of each of the other computers in the network from your Win 7 Computer's elevated command promt?
Answrers to the above will clarify the problem better for the next step in the troubleshoot I have in mind.

If I understood you right, you are saying all networked Computers appear in the Network folder of Windows 7 Computer and similarly in each of the other's computer's Network place / Computers near me> View workgroup computers you are able to see itself and all other computers in the network including Win 7 after you "managed to fix it " [ details of how "you manged to fix it" will be of interest to the readers of this thread:)]

That part seem to contradict the ealier sentence!

Are you now saying that
  1. you can see all the networked computers from the Network folder of your Win 7 Computer,
  2. you are unable to share any resources ( files Printers etc) from the other Computers in the network ?
If the answers to the above :
1. yes, can see all networked computers 2. yes, unable to share files and printers from other computers

Then:

1. Are you now able to view Win 7 from other PCs?
  2. Are you now able to share Files or attached Printer of Win 7 PC from the other computers' Network places ?
  3. Are you able to successfully ping the IP addresses of each of the other computers in the network from your Win 7 Computer's elevated command promt?
Answrers to the above will clarify the problem better for the next step in the troubleshoot I have in mind.

My problem is that from my Win7 PC I can't see any computer on the network which I sad in my first post.
I also said that my computer(win7) can be seen from the other computers, but can not be accessed(this problem I fixed by simply giving full permission to change files in the shared folders, said in my second post)

When I say "see" I mean that the computers wont show up in network under "Computers" which would be "My Network Places" on XP.

Hope that cleared things up.

I still got the same problem that I can't find the computers in my network.
I got aces to the internet that's all.

I don't think I can ping the ip-addresses because I don't know them.
I'm not system admin over the network.
Think it could be a router problem?
I never had this problem before using XP or Vista, I could simply connect and reach the computers

Edit:
Ok, so I found out that if you right click computer icon in explorer and add the direct location (\\computername\share\) it will work, and it did, but still, this won't make the computers appear in network.
This means that I can find the computer and I can access the shared files.
But, why is it then that they won't show in list of computers on Network...

I managed to get the address to one computer, pinged it and got this:

Pinging XXX.XX.X.XX with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for XXX.XX.X.XX:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Last edited:
My problem is that from my Win7 PC I can't see any computer on the network which I sad in my first post.
I also said that my computer(win7) can be seen from the other computers, but can not be accessed(this problem I fixed by simply giving full permission to change files in the shared folders, said in my second post)

When I say "see" I mean that the computers wont show up in network under "Computers" which would be "My Network Places" on XP.

Hope that cleared things up.

I still got the same problem that I can't find the computers in my network.
I got aces to the internet that's all.

I don't think I can ping the ip-addresses because I don't know them.
I'm not system admin over the network.
Think it could be a router problem?
I never had this problem before using XP or Vista, I could simply connect and reach the computers

Edit:
Ok, so I found out that if you right click computer icon in explorer and add the direct location (\\computername\share\) it will work, and it did, but still, this won't make the computers appear in network.
This means that I can find the computer and I can access the shared files.
But, why is it then that they won't show in list of computers on Network...

I managed to get the address to one computer, pinged it and got this:

Pinging XXX.XX.X.XX with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for XXX.XX.X.XX:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

I think I get a better sense of your problem. I understand:-
  1. Your Win 7 computer cannot see other computers in your home network , cannot ping successfully, but your other "Non -win7 PCs" can see each other and Win 7 and also access files from Win 7 and from each other.
  2. Win 7 and all other Computers in the network (I presume it is a Peer to peer network) are able to access the Internet using a Broadband Router of some kind [ No mention of details make and model] in your post its ] through ethernet adapters and not wireless ( again I presume).
  • I presume you have already rupdated your Ethernet adapter driver using Vista driver appropriate to your Windows 7 type downloaded from the Computer manufacturer or Motherboard manufacturer if integrated or from the PCI NIC card manufacturer if it is an add -on card. If not that must be done even if the Device Manager shows the card is properly installed in this particular situation where you cannot get Networking right( or in sitautions Internet connection is not possible which is NOT YOUR PRESENT PROBLEM)
If the above is true, check your Local Area Connection Properties >Networking tab and under This connection uses the following items: in the box look for the list.

1. Click Network
  2. Click Network and Sharing Center from the task bar of Network screen
  3. Click Change adapter settings from the left pane of Network and Sharing Center screen
  4. Click Local Area Connection> Networking tab
In my successfully configured LAN and Internet connection using an Ethernet adapter [ Integrated NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller] and Broadband Wireless Router [ Buffalo WHR-G 125 ]my Local Area Connection Properties dialog box has 7 items listed as shown in the attached JPG image. You may use it for comaprison with your setup.

To find the IP numbers of the computers in the homenetwork using a Broadband Router and DHCP enabled open a cmd prompt [ Start>Run type cmd in Win XP Start>Search programs or files type cmd in Win 7] C:\> Ipconfig /all ] you should find numbers in the 192.168.xx.xxx range for your IPV4 address and Default gateway and DHCP Server

If you cannot get that try resetting Modem and Router to assure your Router has been configured OK
Hope this helps

I'm connected via Wifi to a router(tg787 Thomson)
Sorry for not saying that.
But my Wireless properties window looks the same as your attachment.
I've installed all the latest drivers.

I'm connected via Wifi to a router(tg787 Thomson)
Sorry for not saying that.
But my Wireless properties window looks the same as your attachment.
I've installed all the latest drivers.

Is this Windows 7 Computer and Thomason TG 787 Wireless Router communicating thru' a Wireless Adapter or it has a Wired Ethernet Connection?

Did you try Resetting Modem and Router?

Did you try to access the Web Configuration utilty of this TG 787 ( Most Wireless Routers like D-Link LinkSys, Netgear, etc have Web Configuration Utility: I have never heard of this brand name until now therefore I don't know about its setup and use! Check Your documentation as to how to log on and configure the settings or ask their tech support) to see what is shown under LAN configuration tab or section about your Win 7 running PC?

All of the above is based on your firm statement above that you have installed and configured the Network adapters ( Ethernet and Wireless) in the Windows 7 running PC using the latest VISTA drivers in compatibilty mode for your Windows 7 type and we don't have to revisit lack of appropriate Win 7 compatible driver for network adapters as unsolved problem leading to this failure to see other PCS in a Homenetwork with the same workgroup name as this computer.

In order to get your XP machines to see the shared folders of a win7 machine you need to add the Guest account to the security tab
1: right click on shared folder/drive
2: select the Security tab
3: click Edit
4: click Add
5: click Advanced
6: click Find Now
7: at the bottom of the open window scroll down till you find GUEST then ok and ok
you should now be back at the Permissions for (shared) now find where it says guest and go to the tick box on the right and select the full controll tick box then just clck apply and ok twice and you should now be able to browse the shared object on your win7 machine via the win xp machine

Is this Windows 7 Computer and Thomason TG 787 Wireless Router communicating thru' a Wireless Adapter or it has a Wired Ethernet Connection?

Did you try Resetting Modem and Router?

Did you try to access the Web Configuration utilty of this TG 787 ( Most Wireless Routers like D-Link LinkSys, Netgear, etc have Web Configuration Utility: I have never heard of this brand name until now therefore I don't know about its setup and use! Check Your documentation as to how to log on and configure the settings or ask their tech support) to see what is shown under LAN configuration tab or section about your Win 7 running PC?

All of the above is based on your firm statement above that you have installed and configured the Network adapters ( Ethernet and Wireless) in the Windows 7 running PC using the latest VISTA drivers in compatibilty mode for your Windows 7 type and we don't have to revisit lack of appropriate Win 7 compatible driver for network adapters as unsolved problem leading to this failure to see other PCS in a Homenetwork with the same workgroup name as this computer.

I'm connected wireless, no wires attached.
I'm not system admin so I can't log in to the router.
But I don't understand why I have this problem with Win7, but when I used to have vista, I could just connect and then see the other computers without any problems at all.

I'm connected wireless, no wires attached.
I'm not system admin so I can't log in to the router.
But I don't understand why I have this problem with Win7, but when I used to have vista, I could just connect and then see the other computers without any problems at all.

First some general observation you may or may not want to read before going to the numbered steps
  • To set up and troubleshoot a Network one should be an Administrator or person with Admin privileges.
  • I presume you have Admin privileges otherwise all the things discussed so far will not be useful for you but I hope others with Admin privileges facing such situations reading this thread might benefit.
  • The Best and quickest way to resolve computer issues in a forum as opposed to onsite or live telephone tech support
is to provide as much information in written post that you have about the hardware and software environment [including the Operating System name ,type and Build or SP ] in which you are facing the particular computer symptom. these are information you have and used in your own troubleshoot before you decided to seek help in the Forum. To be fair and to succeed in our answeres to your problem you should share those technical information with the Forum,

• details of the symptom,
    • what preceded and led to that symptom and
    • what all remedies ("troubleshoots") have been already tried to fix the issue with what results spelled out in detail rather than cryptic'
    • If errors are displayed on screen, the Exact Message Verbatim if and when possible.
  • Never assume people answering your post know about your system and the particularcomputer symptom as much as you; they have to rely entirely on the printed texts and/or attached images you provide at this Forum. [Troubleshooters on this side are not mind readers and when they (including me) do try to be, they often find themselves wrong:)]
In this situation where you got a laptop computer with Win 7 Beta with an unspecified Wireless network adapter using a Thomson TG 787 Wireless Router [ or is that a Wireless Router cum Broadband Modem?] and Broadband Modem [cable or DSL? ] can connect to the Internet but cannot display other Networked PCs [ are all of them Wired or any or all wireless?] in its Network folder [ equivalent to "My network places" in Win XP] you may try the following steps:

1. Make 100% sure you have installed /Reinstalled the correct drivers for both Ethernet adapter and Wireless adapter in the laptop with Win 7.
  2. Power Off the Broadband Modem and the Wireless Router and your laptop with Win 7.
  3. Connect the laptop using a Straight through [so called "Regular" ethernet cable as opposed to Cross-over ethernet cable] to the LAN port of your Thomson TG 787 Wireless Router .
  4. After 3-5 minutes, first Turn the Power On the Modem and wait for the LEDs of Power and DSL or Cable to be lit SOLID green
  5. Next Turn the Power ON in the Thomson TG 787 Router .
  6. Wait until LEDs of Power, Router, and Wireless are lit Power and Router LEDs must be Solid Green. [ labeling of LEDS in your Router may vary from the above but would basically indicate the same]
  7. Next Restart the Win7-Laptop
  8. See if the Wired and Wireless Adapter LEDS show up in the chassis and or the Notification area . [ If you have a Wireless Switch on this Unspecified Win7-laptop , turn that ON
  9. Since you have previously setup your Intrenet connection using the wizard for a "Broadband Connection that is Alawys On" [through "Setup a new connection or network" in "Network and Sharing Center" in Control Panel] I expect the LAN icon to be showing up in the notification area. If wireless Adapter is properly setup and switched on that too must be there. Check your Laptop documentation or let us know its make and model for help.
  10. Click Start > Search programs and files and in that box type CMD and ENTER to get the command prompt.
  11. At the Command Prompt type IPCONFIG /ALL [ENTER]
  12. Varify the HOST Name... : Your Win7-Laptop
  13. Scroll down to the section Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection
  14. Under Connection Specific DNS suffix, find Description...: Your Ethernet adapter name [so far I have not seen in your post]
  15. Confirm DHCP ....: Enabled
  16. *Write down IPV4 address ......: 192.168.n.n [ n = numbers in your Lptop's "IP address"] [needed for pinging ]
  17. Subnetmask...........................: 255.255.255.0 [ that is for all in simple homenetwork ]
  18. *Write down Default Gatewway.: 192.168.n.1 [needed for web based config]
  19. DHCP Server............................:192.168.n.1
  20. If all are as above:
    1. Ping your Gateway by typing >Ping 192.168.n.1 [ENTER] You must get at least some packets received without packet loss if you have good cables and Router.
    2. Ping Google >ping www.google.com You must be able to send and Google to receive packets .
  21. If Pinging the Gateway and Internet OK, run IPCONFIG /all in one or more of your networkedPCs to obtain their IP numbers and while there you can ping your laptop's IP address and see that packets are received.
  22. Ping the IP address of networked PC from your Laptop.
  23. If Ping possible with ip numbers , try ping using the computer name of your networked computer
  24. If that works, your Win 7 laptop must show itself and the computers in Network thru' your Wired LAN. Make sure you Refresh inthe View menu of Network if you don't see the other computers in the Network
Next is setting up Wireless Network.
That takes a lot of typing and I am ready to help , if you can report what happens with the above 24 steps till now. If you already know and don't need help, please state it in your post.
Please be as clear as you can.

I cannot answer with certainty why you could see all the networked PCs in VISTA and not when you installed Win 7 . My best guess is that all adapters had proper drivers in VISTA setup and the neworking was done flawlessly :)

Ok, so I did the steps, still nothing.

But I tried pinging one of the computer names, and it was a success. all sent I received.
But still, the computers are not showing.

There are 5 computers in the network, some are wired and some are wireless.

Don't know if I mentioned it above, but I learned to access the shared files on the other computers through my win7 by adding the network location, but this is not what I want, I want all of the computers to show under network.

I can't connect my computer with wire though, because of the location of the router.
And about the router... I don't know much about it, got it with the contract, crappiest there is, can't even choose your own WEP-key. it's all preset.
Feels like I'm just wasting your time here.

Last edited:
Ok, so I did the steps, still nothing.

But I tried pinging one of the computer names, and it was a success. all sent I received.
But still, the computers are not showing.

There are 5 computers in the network, some are wired and some are wireless.

Don't know if I mentioned it above, but I learned to access the shared files on the other computers through my win7 by adding the network location, but this is not what I want, I want all of the computers to show under network.

I can't connect my computer with wire though, because of the location of the router.
And about the router... I don't know much about it, got it with the contract, crappiest there is, can't even choose your own WEP-key. it's all preset.
Feels like I'm just wasting your time here.

The information that comes in drips and draps in your post makes it harder to devise a troubleshooting strategy to solve the problem :)

The steps posted are based logically and one step is intimately related to the previous one and the one that follows. If you skip a step and pick and choose to do things at random, it is hard for me to reach any conclusion why a desired goal was not achieved. Although it must all be very clear to you in your mind, unless you state how exactly you did things by posting readable text here, it will remain a guessing game for those reading this thread. They may have to read into it and that can be misleading :)

Don't know if I mentioned it above, but I learned to access the shared files on the other computers through my win7 by adding the network location,
I had been asking that questions and I read and understood this time that you were able to find files ["access"] in the non- windows 7 computers in the Network from your Win 7 PC but I will have to assume the way you did because your statement" by adding the network location" might be making perfect sense to you because you knew the steps you used, but not to everyone who reads it ( it is like a zipped file) :)

To clarify what you have done so far I have the following Questions for Y or N answers

1. When you did IPCONFIG /all command in your Laptop computer did you get a Host name: Your Laptop's name?
  2. Did you find a section in the command window"Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection"?
  3. Did you Find your Wireless card's name against Connection Specific DNS Suffix
description .............................................................................: Your Wireless adapter's name?

If answers to the above are all Yes,
  1. Did you get the IPv4 Address :192.168.n.n type?
  2. Did you get the Default Gateway :192.168.n.1 type?
To see your setup, can you upload the image of "View network Satus and tasks" window of Network and Sharing Center? Do that by Control Panel>(category view)> scroll down to Network and Internet > click View network status and tasks.
Capture an image of that window and upload to your post here as JPG image. If you want to edit the actual name of your network and your computer in that image for privacy reasons , it is perfectly OK ; please post the edited image.

If you can get this far I will see how I can figure out the next step:)

Thanks mate.
Gonna try to give you as much as I can.

The host name is the correct name of my PC. Found the part you mentioned and the card name is also correct(Fujitsu Siemens Computers WLAN 802.11b/g).
the Default gateway is 198.168.1.254, the IP is as you mentioned(198.168.n.n).
DHCP Enabled.

The way I managed to reach the PC's is by right clicking my computer in explorer and click "Add a network location" then add a custom location then added \\Computer name\Sharefolder

this will make that specified folder appear in "Computer"(under the tab "Network Location")

Did some researching about the Thomson TG 787
It says it's a residential Gateway.
It handles both TV and Internet. but a modem is connected to it.

EDIT:
Ok, now suddenly, my other Vista Laptop appeared under the Computer tab in Network, I just checked and it was there, hadn't restarted it or anything.
I spammed refresh a couple of hundred times, but that's the only one.
Posting another attachment.
So now I got one of the 5 computers on the list..

Last edited:
Thanks mate.
Gonna try to give you as much as I can.

The host name is the correct name of my PC. Found the part you mentioned and the card name is also correct(Fujitsu Siemens Computers WLAN 802.11b/g).
the Default gateway is 198.168.1.254, the IP is as you mentioned(198.168.n.n).
DHCP Enabled.

The way I managed to reach the PC's is by right clicking my computer in explorer and click "Add a network location" then add a custom location then added \\Computer name\Sharefolder

this will make that specified folder appear in "Computer"(under the tab "Network Location")

Did some researching about the Thomson TG 787
It says it's a residential Gateway.
It handles both TV and Internet. but a modem is connected to it.

EDIT:
Ok, now suddenly, my other Vista Laptop appeared under the Computer tab in Network, I just checked and it was there, hadn't restarted it or anything.
I spammed refresh a couple of hundred times, but that's the only one.
Posting another attachment.
So now I got one of the 5 computers on the list..

I am glad you are making progress, albeit at snail's pace :)

The problem at this time seems to be the Master Browser seems to be in a sleepy mood and that is why probably your Computers are not waking up in the Network folder of the 'new kid in the block' -your laptop. This is my best guess.

Tell me if you have any "Third Party Firewall" [ =any firewall other than Windows firewall] in any of the other PC especially the worst offenders like Norton,McAfee etc? If so disable them and use only Windows Firewall until you setup your Wireless Home Network.

Since you got a Deafault Gateway address, you can go to Thomson Gateway Web Interface to make configuration changes or restart your Wireless network.
If no one has created a login name and password already ( that is why I was asking about Admin) you can do the following:

1. Launch Internet Explorer browser.
  2. Delete whatever in the address bar including http:// and type in 198.168.1.254 [that is your gateway address] and press ENTER
  3. Thomson Gateway Web Interface will pop up a login window.
  4. Try Administrator as Login name and leave the Password box blank like
    1. Login name [ Administrator]
    2. Password [ ]
  5. Press [ENTER ]
Read all the tabs on that Dialog box. Most likely there should be LAN configuration and Wireless/Wifi/ WLAN Configuration tab and hopefully some side line instruction about checking the network status , stop and restart etc. Since I have not worked with this brand name you will have to figure out or ask their tech support as to how to configure.

I know you are very near to seeing all your networked Computers. :) Just try a little harder and don't give up at this stage:)

Read thru' the entire troubleshoot Q & A on this thread and it will begin to make sense to you now more than before. Printing it out to keep by the side is a better option. Your choice:)
Good luck.

I am glad you are making progress, albeit at snail's pace :)

The problem at this time seems to be the Master Browser seems to be in a sleepy mood and that is why probably your Computers are not waking up in the Network folder of the 'new kid in the block' -your laptop. This is my best guess.

Tell me if you have any "Third Party Firewall" [ =any firewall other than Windows firewall] in any of the other PC especially the worst offenders like Norton,McAfee etc? If so disable them and use only Windows Firewall until you setup your Wireless Home Network.

Since you got a Deafault Gateway address, you can go to Thomson Gateway Web Interface to make configuration changes or restart your Wireless network.
If no one has created a login name and password already ( that is why I was asking about Admin) you can do the following:

1. Launch Internet Explorer browser.
  2. Delete whatever in the address bar including http:// and type in 198.168.1.254 [that is your gateway address] and press ENTER
  3. Thomson Gateway Web Interface will pop up a login window.
  4. Try Administrator as Login name and leave the Password box blank like
    1. Login name [ Administrator]
    2. Password [ ]
  5. Press [ENTER ]
Read all the tabs on that Dialog box. Most likely there should be LAN configuration and Wireless/Wifi/ WLAN Configuration tab and hopefully some side line instruction about checking the network status , stop and restart etc. Since I have not worked with this brand name you will have to figure out or ask their tech support as to how to configure.

I know you are very near to seeing all your networked Computers. :) Just try a little harder and don't give up at this stage:)

Read thru' the entire troubleshoot Q & A on this thread and it will begin to make sense to you now more than before. Printing it out to keep by the side is a better option. Your choice:)
Good luck.
I just want to add this: You must connect your Laptop to the Router using an Ethernet cable for the Thomson Gateway Web Interface troubleshoot. If you dont have a cable temporarily disconnect the cable from one of the wired computers and hook that to the laptop and first Reset ModeM and Router for the laptop to get its new IP address (Deafault gateway will remain unchanged) from the Router. Once Internet and network are OK, access Thomson Gateway Web Interface using Default gateway IP numbers as previously explained.

Last edited:
Ok thanks mate.
I will use this knowledge and solve the problem.
Thanks for the help man, I really appreciate that you have taken your time for me.

Ok thanks mate.
I will use this knowledge and solve the problem.
Thanks for the help man, I really appreciate that you have taken your time for me.
Glad to be of help:) If you could fix the networking problem, hopefully, this thread will benefit others facing same or similar issue.

@Slayman,

I understand the frustration. I too am having the exact same issue you're having and I realize how ridiculous all the replies are in every thread. I have 2 XP machines with completely open shares on the network, and a single Windows 7 machine trying to "see" the computers themselves in Network. In Windows 7 Build 7000, I had no issues. For the first time in my life, Windows found all the other computers on the network, right out of the box. I was thrilled. Now, again, something has changed. When i am in Network (no, not Network Sharing Center or anywhere else - the equivalent of Network Neighborhood) I can see myself and noone else on the Windows 7 machine. Previously I saw both of my XP machines and all their shares with no setup at all. The only thing I had to make sure of was that the workgroups matched, and that the account I was logged into (and the password) were the same across all machines. This is still the case. Microsoft has changed something, and if it isn't fixed by release, I'm going to be beyond pissed. Yet another thing I've seen get worse from one build to the next. If you find a real solution (NOT the retarded shit I see like manually mapping new "places" or shares) please let me know.

@Slayman,

I understand the frustration. I too am having the exact same issue you're having and I realize how ridiculous all the replies are in every thread. I have 2 XP machines with completely open shares on the network, and a single Windows 7 machine trying to "see" the computers themselves in Network. In Windows 7 Build 7000, I had no issues. For the first time in my life, Windows found all the other computers on the network, right out of the box. I was thrilled. Now, again, something has changed. When i am in Network (no, not Network Sharing Center or anywhere else - the equivalent of Network Neighborhood) I can see myself and noone else on the Windows 7 machine. Previously I saw both of my XP machines and all their shares with no setup at all. The only thing I had to make sure of was that the workgroups matched, and that the account I was logged into (and the password) were the same across all machines. This is still the case. Microsoft has changed something, and if it isn't fixed by release, I'm going to be beyond pissed. Yet another thing I've seen get worse from one build to the next. If you find a real solution (NOT the retarded shit I see like manually mapping new "places" or shares) please let me know.

I wouldn't have normally replied to outbursts of anger, insults and use of foul language I personally would never use addressing anyone let alone strangers trying to help. You have the freedom of speech and so do I. This Forum has not so far felt it necessary to react to your unprovoked attack on me or the Forum itself and I am compelled to speak up on my own behalf. I was the main person who was trying to help the person who had posted the question who was gracious enough to thank me for whatever help I could render in his or her networking problem. Neither you nor I know the final outcome of the OP's troubleshoot. Unfortunately you have turned the attack on the very person with whom you seemed to identify yourself as the victim of bad advice from this forum by suggesting
(NOT the retarded shit I see like manually mapping new "places" or shares)
which this OP did it on his/her own not at my suggestion. Can you point one instance of a bad advice in the entire post? Did you not see the progress made by this OP, despite apparent language barrier, toward the end where he/she was confident enough to complete the rest of the troubleshoot. I am a volunteer helper and not any body's paid employee. Anyone who gets any advice from me, it is free. I don't put any pressure on anyone to follow my free advice. In your broad brush smear campaign posting to multiple threads, you have not spared even Microsoft. If you have downloaded and/ or created a bad Build of the ISO from an unauthorized source, how can you blame Microsoft by stating
Now, again, something has changed
. Hundreds of people have installed Win 7 7000 and Win 7 7100. The number of folks facing this issue is not in hundreds. as per reports in various Forums. Microsoft has clearly stated it is a Beta and given enough warnings and guidelines for the use of legitimate software released to the public. I can understand your frustration but taking that on people who are not responsible for that is beyond comprehension. Finally, do not blame this Forum for any advice I give, I take full responsibility for that.

Last edited:
well it is prone to making people cranky when you have to do a completly different thing from one version to another to get networking running like the other day i joined a mates homegroup plonked in the required password and everything ran fine untill i left his homegroup and everything i had shared suddenly became unusable with little paddlocks on the folders and files and screaming at me that i didn't have the right to access it err so took a look in the securities tab and bugger me if it hadn't removed all user groups bar system i had to manualy go through and replace the group setting and security on every single folder to regain access not fun when your lookin at over 3000 folders

Back