Windows 7 change in performance

Patrick Ahern

I have observed a dignificant change in my Windows 7 computer. This is not a hardware issue. I have not downloaded any files or programs lately which could have caused this difficulty. I have run NIS program, anti-spyware. and malware-bytes, to no avail. I cannot seem to run backup using Ease Us Todo Backup; program fails to function. It worked before. Windows Backup fails to give any indication that it is actually working.

It takes longer to start up. I have run "Start Up Repair" to no avail.

It also takes longer to shut down (no updates are in progress).

Certain programs such as the one to enable process of my digital camera photos, fail to work. There was no such problem in the past. When I attempt to use this program, a screen from uTorrent appears, even after I have removed uTorrent, and re-downloaded the camera software.
I have tried "System Restore" to no avail. Contrary to the instructions, I cannot choose my own 'restore point', but only from a list created by Windows.

The standard Windows 7 repair programs have failed me. I have nowhere else to turn.

I have considered a registry cleaner, but the advice on this program is mixed; half of the people say it worked for them, the other half say never screw with my registry. What do you think?????

If I cannot even backup my files, I am screwed.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Pat

If you haven't tried ccleaner I recommend you download the free version and run it to clean your system of junk files. Download the free version from the piriform link here:

CCleaner - Download

You can also use ccleaner to run a registry cleanup, it will give you an option to backup the registry before cleaning.

Also worth looking at what you are running at startup - autoruns free from Microsoft will enable you to see this in detail. It will also allow you to just stop them running if you are unsure whether or not you need to keep it nd later delete it when you are confident:

Autoruns

I ran CCleaner. Noticeable improvement. Windows starts up ok, but is still slow to boot up, and shut down. If I were to run those Windows programs again, would there be an increase in start up/down speed?
I have downloaded Autorun from Micrasoft; will try that next.

I had a conflict between Canon Zoom Browser EX and uTorrent. Whenever I opened the Canon software, a uTorrent screen would appear superimposed on the Zoom Browser. I could only solve this by deleting uTorrent and reinstalling the the Canon software

Autoruns is most likely to help with identifying things at startup which might be slowing the boot down. It's worth running ccleaner on a regular basis to keep junk free.

One rather disputed issue is Registry programs. I've used Free Window Registry Repair Help for many years, no problems, quite the contrary it seems to have replenished my system.

And uTorrent... if you're not utterly dependent, get rid of it. Get rid of everything called "torrent" or "crack" or whatever. It's only a matter of trying to get cows milk more, free, at no cost... and who of us would do it?

One rather disputed issue is Registry programs. I've used Free Window Registry Repair Help for many years, no problems, quite the contrary it seems to have replenished my system.

And uTorrent... if you're not utterly dependent, get rid of it. Get rid of everything called "torrent" or "crack" or whatever. It's only a matter of trying to get cows milk more, free, at no cost... and who of us would do it?

Unfortunately:
1. I like to watch movies and tv series, especially old ones. Today's TV and movies are crappe. Since they are not showing these programs on the cable TV I am paying for, I download them from the Internet.
2. Who would do that? People like me, who are retired and spend our money on food, clothing, rent, etc. That is who.
3. Getting rid of uTorent is not an answer to my question.
4. I used CCleaner and it seemed to solve the major problem. My computer works better but is still slower than it used to be.

Hello Patrick,

Have you checked your start up programs in "msconfig"?
In my Windows 7 startup, I have 2 programs that start with Windows, that's MSE & Threatfire.
Having more than 4 or 5 in msconfig will slow boot times considerably.
You may also want to check in "Services" many running services need not to be set at Auto and can be changed to manual or even disabled.
You can check this Black Viper’s Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Service Configurations | Black Viper | www.blackviper.com to see what you can change or disable.
One thing I have done in Services is to check the "Dependencies" for the Service I want to modify and if there are No Dependencies in either box, I have that service disabled.

Hope this helps and keep us posted
Don

Hello Patrick,

Have you checked your start up programs in "msconfig"?
In my Windows 7 startup, I have 2 programs that start with Windows, that's MSE & Threatfire.
Having more than 4 or 5 in msconfig will slow boot times considerably.
You may also want to check in "Services" many running services need not to be set at Auto and can be changed to manual or even disabled.
You can check this Black Viper’s Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Service Configurations | Black Viper | www.blackviper.com to see what you can change or disable.
One thing I have done in Services is to check the "Dependencies" for the Service I want to modify and if there are No Dependencies in either box, I have that service disabled.

Hope this helps and keep us posted
Don
All absolutely right and it was for this reason that I recommended autoruns - tells you everything msconfig does plus a ot more and gives you much greater control.

Any chance a hard drive problem is involved? Have you run Chkdsk lately or the system file checker, sfc /scannow, in an administrative command prompt?

You are correct- I seem to have a hundred startup programs according to msconfig at command prompt.
Problem I sometimes get message that removal of this program may cause other software to malfunction.
I expect most can be deleted, but how to determine which?
Don't want to make things worse.
Thanx. :frown:

Could not sign in to black viper, even using their 12 integer password.
Might be easier to sign in to the US Mint.
No selection to download their software on their webpage.
Thanx anyway. :frown:

You are correct- I seem to have a hundred startup programs according to msconfig at command prompt.
Problem I sometimes get message that removal of this program may cause other software to malfunction.
I expect most can be deleted, but how to determine which?
Don't want to make things worse.
Thanx. :frown:

In msconfig, you're not removing the program, you're just (Disable) stopping it from starting when Windows starts.
The only programs you really need to start when Windows starts, are any Anti-Virus/Firewall programs. The rest you can start/run when needed @ the desktop.
You really can't make things worse, there's always "System Restore", just make one before you make any changes.
As far as Black Viper goes, there's no need to sign in or download anything, all the information you need is right there on the page I gave the link to. You have to open your services and compare what Black Viper has changed to manual and/or disabled to what you have running in your services.
You did use this link, right?; Black Viper’s Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Service Configurations | Black Viper | www.blackviper.com
I've never had to sign in or seen any software downloads for his free information, like I said, everything you need is right there on the page.

Keep us posted
Don

Back
Top Bottom