Windows 7 Chkdsk hangs at start

zaptoman

Well after just a day of using windows 7 I've got some classic windows slowdown symptoms. I'm thinking it's probably AVG 8.5 free thats doing it, but I run a chkdsk /f just to make sure. System starts booting, goes to chkdsk, does the countdown: "To skip disk checking, press any key within x second(s)." thing. It stops at 1 second. Never goes anywhere. I can't ctrl+alt+delete to get it out, I have to hard boot the system. Its obnoxious. I don't really know how to get it to boot now as it continually wants to do a chkdsk. Installed over the top of the old Vista 32 partition.

Specs:
MSI GX630 laptop
4 gb ram
QL-62 dual core
Windows 7 x64

Last edited:
Go into your currently running OS and delete the partition.
Then start the W7 install and re-install.
Don't install AVG 8.5 free, and see what happens when you use it without a virus program. (just don't go to internet sites that might infect you)

Then install a different W7 approved AV software and see what happens.

Well I booted off of the cd and restored to a time before the chkdsk thing, and that got me back into windows. However, things are still slow. I uninstalled AVG, didn't seem to make a difference, so its back in.

chkdsk utility in windows 7 hangs

I have a Dell 435t/xps 9000 which I bought last month. A few days ago I installed the windows 7 upgrade over my vista(x64). I've noticed boot up slow downs so decided to run chkdsk and the same thing happened to my system. I have researched causes of the hang up to no avail. If you or anybody else figures out what is wrong with windows 7 and chkdsk please let everyone know. thanks.

Defrag, Norton and System Repair disk

My Windows 7 64bit (fresh install with new Acer) has been fine for the past few weeks and then did the same thing. Someone mentioned Norton so I removed the freeware (I use McAfee anyway) and restarted (no joy). Others said it happens after a defrag but my last defrag was days before the system started hanging.

Only way I got round it was to boot up off the Windows 7 System Repair disk and fingers crossed that seems to have fixed it (it did come up in the repair as attempting to fix disk errors).

I had the same problem with my Win7 install. Root cause was a problem with a corrupted AVG 8.5 log file. On reboot, system would hang at 1 second countdown to run chkdsk. Here's the fix for clearing the dirty bit and running chkdsk.
1st - go to control panel - backup and restore - create system repair disk (if you haven't made a disk image...now would be a good time.
2nd - boot to system repair disk. choose command prompt option
3rd - at dos prompt type chkdsk c: /f
let it run... mine looked like it was hung up during stage 3, but eventually it will complete
4th - reboot. my chkdsk countdown timer appeared and completed by itself. system now reboots without the
chkdsk prompt/timer on several tries.

Hope it helps.

I had the same problem with my Win7 install. Root cause was a problem with a corrupted AVG 8.5 log file. On reboot, system would hang at 1 second countdown to run chkdsk. Here's the fix for clearing the dirty bit and running chkdsk.
1st - go to control panel - backup and restore - create system repair disk (if you haven't made a disk image...now would be a good time.
2nd - boot to system repair disk. choose command prompt option
3rd - at dos prompt type chkdsk c: /f
let it run... mine looked like it was hung up during stage 3, but eventually it will complete
4th - reboot. my chkdsk countdown timer appeared and completed by itself. system now reboots without the
chkdsk prompt/timer on several tries.

Hope it helps.

This is to verify the above method works. Thanks!

This is to verify the above method works. Thanks!

I experienced the same problem this week on a new Dell XPS 9000 w/ Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. This problem seemed to begin after a Windows Update. I was told by Dell support to run the chkdsk c: /f at the command prompt in the F8 repair mode as well. They also recommended doing: chkdsk c: /r and chkdsk c: /i.

None of the solutions have given my system the ability to run the check disk in restart mode.

I know that you can clear the scheduled check disk by entering into the command prompt chkdsk /x c: which is the cancel check disk command. But this seems like a serious issue if check disk is not working in restart mode. I'd like to know whether this is a Windows 7 Update issue and if so is Microsoft fixing this problem?

Thanks much!

Also having the same issue on my windows 7 64 bits even if having all drivers up to date :
chkdsk freezing when starting still when displaying 1% on my MSI X58 Platinum, i 875x cpu with 4 "raid 10" 250WD 10 000trs/min on c: & 2 raid 0 1TB on d:, does not depend on the disk & all disks are ok & verified at the sector level... :( last ICH10R drivers uptodate, using last intel RST 9.6.x but same issue with 8.5 or 9.5. msi bios 3.7...

computer not overclocked, it is not a really cool issue ! everything updated (bios, drivers, ect...) problems appears at the begining of the first install of Win7 64 bits in december & still persists, so at its first use.
having my brain burning to find a solution, but no way !

Oups just little update about my above post : it does not hangs at 1% but just after having displayed the last 1 second to press keyboard to cancel the chkdsk before displaying the percents !

CHKDSK C: /F - Hangs @ 1 second

I was having the same issue with my Dell Studioxps 1640. This is what I found to solve the problem.

On Boot Up:
  • Press F8 repetedly when you see the Dell Logo = Boot into Safe Mode
  • Advanced Boot Options
  • Repair your Computer
  • CMD Prompt
  • CHKDSK C: /F
/F Fixes errors on the disk.
/V On FAT/FAT32: Displays the full path and name of every file on the disk. On NTFS: Displays cleanup messages if any.
/R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information (implies /F).
/L:size NTFS only only: Changes the log file size to the specified number of kilobytes. If size is not specified, displays current size.
/X Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary. All opened handles to the volume would then be invalid (implies /F).
/I NTFS only: Performs a less vigorous check of index entries.
/C NTFS only: Skips checking of cycles within the folder structure.
/B NTFS only: Re-evaluates bad clusters on the volume (implies /R)

Ref:
Advanced Boot Options - Windows 7 Forums

How to use CHKDSK (Check Disk) - Windows 7

Back
Top Bottom