Chkdsk hangs at start

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by zaptoman, Jun 9, 2009.

1. zaptoman

zaptoman New Member

Well after just a day of using windows 7 I've got some classic windows slowdown symptoms. I'm thinking it's probably AVG 8.5 free thats doing it, but I run a chkdsk /f just to make sure. System starts booting, goes to chkdsk, does the countdown: "To skip disk checking, press any key within x second(s)." thing. It stops at 1 second. Never goes anywhere. I can't ctrl+alt+delete to get it out, I have to hard boot the system. Its obnoxious. I don't really know how to get it to boot now as it continually wants to do a chkdsk. Installed over the top of the old Vista 32 partition.

Specs:
    MSI GX630 laptop
    4 gb ram
    QL-62 dual core
    Windows 7 x64

#1 zaptoman, Jun 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  2. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 New Member

Go into your currently running OS and delete the partition.
    Then start the W7 install and re-install.
    Don't install AVG 8.5 free, and see what happens when you use it without a virus program. (just don't go to internet sites that might infect you)

Then install a different W7 approved AV software and see what happens.

3. zaptoman

zaptoman New Member

Well I booted off of the cd and restored to a time before the chkdsk thing, and that got me back into windows. However, things are still slow. I uninstalled AVG, didn't seem to make a difference, so its back in.

4. mbenghaly

mbenghaly New Member

chkdsk utility in windows 7 hangs

I have a Dell 435t/xps 9000 which I bought last month. A few days ago I installed the windows 7 upgrade over my vista(x64). I've noticed boot up slow downs so decided to run chkdsk and the same thing happened to my system. I have researched causes of the hang up to no avail. If you or anybody else figures out what is wrong with windows 7 and chkdsk please let everyone know. thanks.

5. monkston

monkston New Member

Defrag, Norton and System Repair disk

My Windows 7 64bit (fresh install with new Acer) has been fine for the past few weeks and then did the same thing. Someone mentioned Norton so I removed the freeware (I use McAfee anyway) and restarted (no joy). Others said it happens after a defrag but my last defrag was days before the system started hanging.

Only way I got round it was to boot up off the Windows 7 System Repair disk and fingers crossed that seems to have fixed it (it did come up in the repair as attempting to fix disk errors).

6. mvwsvw

mvwsvw New Member

I had the same problem with my Win7 install. Root cause was a problem with a corrupted AVG 8.5 log file. On reboot, system would hang at 1 second countdown to run chkdsk. Here's the fix for clearing the dirty bit and running chkdsk.
    1st - go to control panel - backup and restore - create system repair disk (if you haven't made a disk image...now would be a good time.
    2nd - boot to system repair disk. choose command prompt option
    3rd - at dos prompt type chkdsk c: /f
    let it run... mine looked like it was hung up during stage 3, but eventually it will complete
    4th - reboot. my chkdsk countdown timer appeared and completed by itself. system now reboots without the
    chkdsk prompt/timer on several tries.

Hope it helps.

7. HyLite

HyLite New Member

This is to verify the above method works. Thanks!

8. Groundswell

Groundswell New Member

I experienced the same problem this week on a new Dell XPS 9000 w/ Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. This problem seemed to begin after a Windows Update. I was told by Dell support to run the chkdsk c: /f at the command prompt in the F8 repair mode as well. They also recommended doing: chkdsk c: /r and chkdsk c: /i.

None of the solutions have given my system the ability to run the check disk in restart mode.

I know that you can clear the scheduled check disk by entering into the command prompt chkdsk /x c: which is the cancel check disk command. But this seems like a serious issue if check disk is not working in restart mode. I'd like to know whether this is a Windows 7 Update issue and if so is Microsoft fixing this problem?

Thanks much!

9. HyLite

HyLite New Member

Don't know!

10. llecaroz

llecaroz New Member

Also having the same issue on my windows 7 64 bits even if having all drivers up to date :
    chkdsk freezing when starting still when displaying 1% on my MSI X58 Platinum, i 875x cpu with 4 "raid 10" 250WD 10 000trs/min on c: & 2 raid 0 1TB on d:, does not depend on the disk & all disks are ok & verified at the sector level... :( last ICH10R drivers uptodate, using last intel RST 9.6.x but same issue with 8.5 or 9.5. msi bios 3.7...

computer not overclocked, it is not a really cool issue ! everything updated (bios, drivers, ect...) problems appears at the begining of the first install of Win7 64 bits in december & still persists, so at its first use.
    having my brain burning to find a solution, but no way !

11. llecaroz

llecaroz New Member

Oups just little update about my above post : it does not hangs at 1% but just after having displayed the last 1 second to press keyboard to cancel the chkdsk before displaying the percents !

12. GreatWhiteN0rth

GreatWhiteN0rth New Member

CHKDSK C: /F - Hangs @ 1 second

I was having the same issue with my Dell Studioxps 1640. This is what I found to solve the problem.

On Boot Up:
    • Press F8 repetedly when you see the Dell Logo = Boot into Safe Mode
    • Advanced Boot Options
    • Repair your Computer
    • CMD Prompt
    • CHKDSK C: /F
    /F Fixes errors on the disk.
    /V On FAT/FAT32: Displays the full path and name of every file on the disk. On NTFS: Displays cleanup messages if any.
    /R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information (implies /F).
    /L:size NTFS only only: Changes the log file size to the specified number of kilobytes. If size is not specified, displays current size.
    /X Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary. All opened handles to the volume would then be invalid (implies /F).
    /I NTFS only: Performs a less vigorous check of index entries.
    /C NTFS only: Skips checking of cycles within the folder structure.
    /B NTFS only: Re-evaluates bad clusters on the volume (implies /R)

Ref:
    Advanced Boot Options - Windows 7 Forums

How to use CHKDSK (Check Disk) - Windows 7

13. smartb0y

smartb0y New Member