Windows 7 Computer freezing constatly

Maseman46

So I have looked everywhere and cannot seem to find my problem. I have an acer aspire 5532 with a 160gb HDD and 4gb of ram. Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. And It freezes constantly. I don't mean like ten minutes at a time, I mean till you forcibly shut the computer down. I have tried lots of things, memtest86, spyware, malware removal, the scan now option via cmd. Ive been told its probably a system file, but its not. It Usually only happens when the internet is involved. Webcam, minecraft online, that stuff. Please help me, i really need it. Thanks. Maseman46

Hi

I would run Malwarebytes if that isn't the program that you used.

If you have a restore point from before the problem started try using that.

Third login in Safe Mode and try and run the same programs and see if you have the same results if you don't then it may be a conflict with something else you are running.

Try right clicking on the task bar icon and select trouble shoot problems.

If you are still having problems try uninstalling your network adapter in Device Manager then reboot and let Windows reinstall and reconfigure it.

You can also reset your router and see if that has any effect.

If none of these are any help, you may need to do a repair install of your Windows Installation.
If you have Service Pack One installed you have to remove it first unless your Windows Disk has Service Pack One already on it.

As you can see I have no idea what's causing the problem but this is basically how I work through these kind of issues.

If none of these help or if you decide that you do need to do a repair install come back and we can give you more information about that.

If you can post the information from the blue screens maybe someone can tell something from that.

And you can update your video drivers, sound weird and unlikely but it can cause problems if they doesn't agree with the software you are running.

Mike

Last edited:
So I have looked everywhere and cannot seem to find my problem. I have an acer aspire 5532 with a 160gb HDD and 4gb of ram. Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. And It freezes constantly. I don't mean like ten minutes at a time, I mean till you forcibly shut the computer down. I have tried lots of things, memtest86, spyware, malware removal, the scan now option via cmd. Ive been told its probably a system file, but its not. It Usually only happens when the internet is involved. Webcam, minecraft online, that stuff. Please help me, i really need it. Thanks. Maseman46

Try restoring your computer to an earlier date to fix the trouble. If you could get the problem fixed, would be appreciable. If not, I would suggest you to reboot.

I have tried all of these things previously. Except the uni-stalling the network drivers and updating my video cards. I will get back to you after school. I made a disk, but when i tried to use it, their was no option for a system repiar. Just system restore, safe mode,command prompt and something about a system image. When I tried to completely re-install windows, it told me I was missing drivers on my cd drive, which is strange cause I burn cds alot. Thanks.

Hi

Don't just uninstall the network drivers.

In Device Manger select Network Adapter, find your device and right click. Select Uninstall.

When you reboot it will force Windows to go through the complete detection and configuration process.

It should get it back to the default settings and drivers.

Mike

I have tried all of these things previously. Except the uni-stalling the network drivers and updating my video cards. I will get back to you after school. I made a disk, but when i tried to use it, their was no option for a system repiar. Just system restore, safe mode,command prompt and something about a system image. When I tried to completely re-install windows, it told me I was missing drivers on my cd drive, which is strange cause I burn cds alot. Thanks.

Try booting the computer with any other disc. You are burning the CDs a lot. Try burning the CD from any other Image.

You say it only happens when the internet is involved. So can you be more specific?

Does if happen if you have your internet connection disabled or unplugged? If you can be online without any problems, but they start after you take some action, like going to a particular site?

If you feel it is a video problem, is it related to streaming the video and can you download the video ahead of time and watch it normally?

Can you download a large file (not video) without it freezing?

Have you checked the Event Viewer to see if it shows any consistent errors or warnings that could be related?

What Mike says about Windows reinstalling a Network driver is usually correct, but not always. There are some adapters Windows 7 does not recognize correctly, if they are recognized at all. Have you checked the Acer site for any network drivers or updates.

There is no blue screen. I checked for updates on my video card, uninstalled my wireless card, and i tried doing a repair with a thumb drive and got the same msg. Which i though was strange. I can download files just fine. Any websites usaly dont present a problem, but videos are the biggest cause. Sometimes they work just fine. And i have checked my event viewer and it has nothing.

What browser are you using?

There have been some problems with both Java lately, especially in Google Chrome.

I had so many problems that I went back to Chrome fro a year ago.

I use chrome. It started like two years ago and i've been fighting it since. Its not just my browser either. It does it with me webcam or games like minecraft when i play online.

You did run sfc /scannow, but did you run chkdsk? The chkdsk command lists and corrects errors on restart: go to run, type 'cmd,' at the c: prompt, type chkdsk /f to fix errors or type chkdsk /r to check every sector on the hard drive and recover any readable information as well, which takes a long time, but it's worth it, on older hard drives, it will flag all of the bad sectors it finds, will route the software around them, which will stop windows from freezing up on those bad sectors.(when i do it, i type chkdsk /f /r /v) (I don't use Chrome much, I mainly use firefox or Ie9, I still think Ie9 is a great browser):D

Last edited:
Yep, done it several times before. So i tried to install windows 7 again, but this time with a flash drive. Even took my cd drive out. And it still told me that it was missing the cd/dvd driver. I hate my computer...

from what you have mentioned, it sounds like a hardware issue, a clean install without that cd player would rid you of that driver, do you have a different cd drive or dvd drive? did you remove the drivers already in Device Manager?

Last edited:
have you updated your chipset drivers? that might help. have you installed any 3rd party drivers, video, printer etc?
here is some good info: Link Removed - Invalid URL
one thing i would try, when the computer can't read the cd drive, sometimes it's because that iede wire that connects it isn't connected well, you could try disconneecting then reconnecting the cd drive, and do the same for the connection to the motherboard, blow out dust from the pin holes :)

Last edited:
So my computer had a recovery drive which restored everything to factory. I installed all the updates, and it worked great. talked to my gma for several hours on my webcam. Watched videos, and it was great. Then, it just started freezing again. I didnt install anything except chrome. I tried using internet explorer but got the same result. Again, its only when i watch videos online, play games online like mincraft, or i talk to anyone on my webcam. I am getting so mad at this dumb thing. The only conclusion i can draw, is that there may be something wrong with my video card. Then again, i am no computer expert.

Back