Windows 7 Constant Disconnections from Wireless network

billandrews

What country are you located in. USA
Name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider). COX cable
Make and exact model of the broadband modem. Motorola Surfboard (Sb5120) Cable Modem
Make and exact model and hardware version of the router (if a separate unit). D-Link DI-624 Wireless Router
Connection type, wired or wireless. Wireless
If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2) WPA
Make and model of your computer. Acer - Aspire 5534
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines. Windows 7 Home Premium

This is a (3 week) new Laptop that only has Windows 7. The computer will disconnect from the wireless network continously. Resetting the cable modem and router does no good. Having windows troubleshoot the disconnect will always bring it back, but I've had to do it twice while pasting this post here. So as you can see its very frustrating. I also have a Windows XP desktop running, which does not disconnect.

Bill:
Not sure if this will even help, since your wireless drivers may or may not load, but first try rebooting your machine in "safemode with networking" by tapping the F8 key as the machine is booting. This process only allows for minimal drivers but if your wireless connection works then see if the problem persists in this mode. If the wireless drivers won't load in safemode with networking then you may have to resort to clean boot type of diagnostic process see this article Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program at this point we're trying to determine if there is some program, process or service that is causing the issue. I'm just assuming of course that you have the latest driver's for your network adapter and the latest firmware for your router, if that's not the case perhaps try updating them first.

OK, that's good news, so that means you have some problems with programs and or services that are starting up at boot time. First you need to examine the startup programs, so type system information in the search box and expand Software Environment and then select Startup Programs, snip it and post it here and we may be able to determine if there is a potential issue with any of them. See attachment

Sidebar c:\program files\windows sidebar\sidebar.exe /autorun Bhome\Bill Startup
Skytel c:\program files\realtek\audio\hda\skytel.exe Public HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
RtHDVCpl c:\program files\realtek\audio\hda\ravcpl64.exe Public HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Acer ePower Management c:\program files\acer\acer epower management\epowertray.exe Public HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
mwlDaemon c:\program files (x86)\egistec\mywinlocker 3\x86\mwldaemon.exe Public HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
SynTPEnh %programfiles%\synaptics\syntp\syntpenh.exe Public HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
SunJavaUpdateSched "c:\program files\java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe" Public HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
msnmsgr "c:\program files (x86)\windows live\messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background Bhome\Bill Startup
swg "c:\program files (x86)\google\googletoolbarnotifier\googletoolbarnotifier.exe" Bhome\Bill Startup

Wow, that's all (from a normal mode boot?), I don't see anything too bad, but let's go through the steps anyway Click start and type msconfig go to the startup tab and Uncheck them all except
SynTPEnh %programfiles%\synaptics\syntp\syntpenh.exe Public HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
when prompted, reboot in normal mode of course and see if your problem is affected at all or if it still persists. Post back and then we'll try the services.

And if it's the router, then why do you think, that the OP, reports in post #3, that the computer has no symptoms, when booted into safemode with networking.

Sure, I new you had some reasoning behind your suggestion, just wanted to hear what it was....I'm here to learn and I want to understand everyones perspective. So thanks for the information Drew, and have a good New Year.

I have 7 computers here, 5 laptops, 2 desktops. The 2 desktops run XP, 1 laptop has Vista, and 4 laptops have windows 7. Only the Windows 7 machines is having the connection issue. They will disconnect within 10 minutes of connecting, although that not set in stone.

I'm still testing each item. So far I have found that Conime.exe is one of the services causing the disconnect. But something else is also causing the problem, so I testing, give me a few more minutes.

that's a legitimate Microsoft file, that supposedly associated with Asian Language Application, so you may very well find that your problem is going to be associated with some extra bloatware that Acer installed for some type of quick assistance or remote trouble shooting or something like that.

Well, it took a few hours but I went through each item in the startup. I was unable to isolate any one program, even two or three. No matter what I stopped, the wireless would disconnect.

OK, I'm going to assume that you tried my suggestion inpost #6 by disabling all startup items except your touch pad. So now let's try services. Start msconfig again and on the services tab, check the box near the bottom that says "hide microsoft services", what do you have left. Maybe post that back here (see attachment) use the snipping tool, be careful, don't uncheck a service related to your touch pad, or hard drive controller anything else should be ok. If you post back a snip I can give more specific instructions.

I don't see any problem with disabling them all for now. Try it reboot and see if the problem persists

I shut off all the non-ms services. Its not disconnecting att, but will test it throughout the day and post the results later this evening.

-Bill

OK, good news, try turning them back on one at a time once you've determined that the machine's connection is stable. I think you may very well find that it's bonjour and and associated service called mdnsresponder.

Back