Windows 10 Convert MBR to GPT without Data Loss

kemical , I had a 10TB drive on gpt . I do have another drive , format the drive to gpt . Sounds dodgy someone on the dark web will be able to change it back to mbr just for laffs .

kemical , I had a 10TB drive on gpt . I do have another drive , format the drive to gpt . Sounds dodgy someone on the dark web will be able to change it back to mbr just for laffs .
Yes under GPT the size limit is a lot more than the 2,2TB under MBR.

If I was you, I'd use your other drive just to pop a copy of windows on and then initialize your new drive to gpt.

Once thats done, remove your temprary windows drive and pop in your newly initialized drive.

Boot from your media, find the drive and you'll just see a large unallocated space. Just click next and it will format the unallocated space into gpt and you should be good to go.

Maybe there's something wrong with the drive itself especially if you have performed this action successfully in the past with other drives?

Yes or run a chkdsk. Also take a look at the smart data as that can also give you clues.

Got to go now

Attachments

• short genenic test.PNG
    short genenic test.PNG
    277.8 KB · Views: 50
  • short test passed.PNG
    short test passed.PNG
    184 KB · Views: 44
No in the video I followed , I thought everything was going to plan and it still ended up as mbr .

Attachments

• mbr.PNG
    mbr.PNG
    181.4 KB · Views: 45
My hard drive is the most perfect hard drive there,s ever been , I use a dvd to load windows . And it always ends up as mbr , would it make any difference if I use a usb drive if I still have one with widows on . And take my serial number from the dvd to activate .

My hard drive is the most perfect hard drive there,s ever been , I use a dvd to load windows . And it always ends up as mbr , would it make any difference if I use a usb drive if I still have one with widows on . And take my serial number from the dvd to activate .
It's always worth a try I guess.

By the way, no need to enter your key each time. It's kept on record so simply click 'I don't have a key' and Windows will be automatically activated once your online.

The usb drive worked , GPT an all only thing is i can't connect all i get is a page with play and explore Microsoft . I normally connect while loading windows , but i must have missed it . At first i put my pc and control panel, ( which are now missing ) i'v been on ages checking cables downstairs you would think if the connection is on this drive it would be on the other.

You might need to install a network driver.

If you know your motherboards support page you can find one there unless your using a network card.

It worked on mbr , i might reload my dvd version on there converted to a usb drive . There were 3 usb drives with widows on , one was spanish i can't believe i would download something in spanish thats why i will try 2 of them in install mode plenty time though .

Back