Windows 7 Ctrl & Right click glitch

Omnievul

Greetings!

There has been a problem with my computer for some time now and I have no idea how to solve it. I cannot press Right click while having Ctrl pressed. If I have Ctrl pressed and I press right click nothing happens. Instead of the normal box that should appear in Windows, I get a weird line which does not follow the pointer (see attachment) and then I don't get the regular right click box. Also, when I try the Ctrl + Right Click combination in video games, I get a lot of frame lag for a few seconds. This also happens if I press Ctrl with the On-screen keyboard, so I assume it is a problem of Windows, not my keyboard. All the latest drivers of my keyboard are properly installed.

This error just happened out of nowhere some time ago and has stayed so ever since. Could anyone please help me? It's really disturbing, especially when playing video games, since ctrl is an important key.
Thank you in advance for any replies!

Attachments

• Ctrl Right click.jpg
    Ctrl Right click.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 468
  • Ctrl left click.jpg
    Ctrl left click.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 409
In March you posted this at the steampowered forums. There are some suggestions there. Did you try all of them? I'll try to look around. Can you in the meantime assign a different button for crouching or whatever you use the CTRL button for?

You seem to have a fonts folder in the library. Is that the normal Windows folder you just add it to the library, and was everything normal before you did this?

My mouse and CTRL keys seem to do about the same thing, but no line, just another selection box.

What happens if you Shift + right click on a folder as opposed to right click?

Last edited:
I just remembered how some drawing programs will limit movement is specific directions while moving the cursor, depending on a key combination. If you use drawing programs, or have a drawing tablet, or even the Tablet PC utilities installed, possibly something like that might be going on.

In March you posted this at the steampowered forums. There are some suggestions there. Did you try all of them? I'll try to look around. Can you in the meantime assign a different button for crouching or whatever you use the CTRL button for?

Yes, I tried all of the suggestions there, but nothing worked. I've already switched the key from Ctrl to Shift, but avoiding a problem is not even close to solving it now, is it? :) It's nice of you finding out I've already posted about this at steam, it just shows that you actually took interest. Thank you very much.

I just remembered how some drawing programs will limit movement is specific directions while moving the cursor, depending on a key combination. If you use drawing programs, or have a drawing tablet, or even the Tablet PC utilities installed, possibly something like that might be going on.

Wow! That was a real nice memory you had there! I disabled a dictionary I have downloaded and it works now! I've no idea why a dictionary would 'disable' the Ctrl key but it worked anyway. Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Back