Windows 7 Desktop Background Picture position doesn't change when selected?

Supergirl

got in touch with hp guys, had to download link and it fixed the problem :)
hi folks,

i just got a new lap top with windows 7, i am trying to put my own picture as my desktop background, however it defaults to "stretch" when i change to other selections such as "fit" tile" etc.. it does not change, i press save changes and it remains as "stretch".

I tried using the pictures that came with the new lap top, tried tile, fit, etc... but it still remains the same and does not change the picture position?

please help!

Last edited:
There is a very easy way to do it - once again, courtesy of Microsoft. (at least it works for me - holding breathe!!)
  1. Open Windows Photo Gallery by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Photo Gallery.
  2. Find the picture that you want to use, right-click it, and then click Set as desktop background.
    Your desktop background automatically changes to the picture that you selected.
Only proviso is , of course, you must let photo gallery scan and load all of your needed pictures.

There is a very easy way to do it - once again, courtesy of Microsoft. (at least it works for me - holding breathe!!)
  1. Open Windows Photo Gallery by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Photo Gallery.
  2. Find the picture that you want to use, right-click it, and then click Set as desktop background.
    Your desktop background automatically changes to the picture that you selected.
Only proviso is , of course, you must let photo gallery scan and load all of your needed pictures.

I'm with SuperGirl, it doesn't work!

Hey RAK, getting a picture to appear on the desktop isn't the problem, it's getting it to change how it FITS on the desktop (i.e., to do anything other than stretch) without having to crop the photo.

If you've got a widescreen monitor and set a standard photo in Windows Photo Gallery as your desktop background, it automatically gets that stretched/fattening effect.

If you want a life-like perspective and try to change the "picture position" (after right clicking on the desktop background) from "stretch" to "fit, fill, tile, or center", then save the changes, the changes simply don't stick.

Anyone got a fix?

I'm having the same problem. I'd like to be able to have a picture in the centre with a coloured desktop.

Just bought my new laptop Hp G71-329wm today and can't seem to change my picture position keeps staying default as stretch

How to fix the stretch picture issue...

Okay, here is the magic link:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp45501-46000/sp45575.exe

This was also found on the HP site:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

The top one does work, as I can verify personally after checking it prior to me posting it. If this is the only hick-up that we have to face in accordance with our HP's plus Windows 7, I will take it. This OS is by far way better than Vista, and I am enjoying this new OS more thank any other one I have used since Windows 3.0. (Yes, I did use 3.0 in my early years.)

Hope this works for all of you and have an awesome holiday season.

Patrick

I can't download the software. The links won't open.
My only way out from this annoying stretched-background-desktop-problem, and it doesn't work. This sucks! :mad:
...so should I just wait and see if they fix the links?

Thanks for posting this link. I just bought a new Windows 7 laptop and had the same problem. I tried your link and the problem was fixed in seconds. Thanks again.

The links mentioned here didn't work for me. The 45575 mentioned in this thread did not work. I suspect it was because my laptop has Windows 7, 64-bit. Here's the procedure to use to make sure you install the correct software to fix this issue, no matter which version of Windows 7 you have:

Make sure you find out whether or not your Windows 7 is 64-bit or 32-bit before going to www.hp.com. To find out, click on the "Start" icon (the icon with the Windows Logo that is almost always at the bottom-left of your screen). Once you click on the "Start" icon, right-click on "Computer" from the items that come up. Click "Properties" and look at what it says for the "System Type".

Go to www.hp.com.

Click "Support and Drivers".

Bullet "Download Drivers and Software".

At this point, you will have to know the product. HP will admit that the product info they need will NOT always be visible anywhere on the laptop. Click "Start Detection" and go through what it says on the screen in order to find out what your product is and then return to "Step 2" (by clicking on the "Back" arrow) to type in the information specific to your HP laptop.

After you have specified the product information that HP will accept, you will be asked for the Operating System. Specify whether your Windows 7 is 64-bit or 32-bit.

Go through the available downloads until you see the download for the Wallpaper Picture Position Enabler (it's under the available software downloads).

The file that worked for my laptop was 45990, not the 45575 mentioned in other replies to this thread.

I saved "sp45990.exe" to a folder I created on my C: drive called "Downloads".

When it was saved there, I minimized the Internet connection, went into my "C:\Downloads", and double-clicked on "sp45990".

"Wallpaper Picture Enabler for Windows 7 Install Shield Wizard" came up. I clicked "Next".

I bulleted "I accept the terms of the license agreement" when the license agreement came up. I then clicked "Next".

"Welcome..." came up. I clicked "Next".

"Select Installation Folder" came up. "C:\SwSetup\SP45990" was already there. I also told it to install the picture enabler for everyone, but this isn't necessary (If you are going to be the only user, you can leave it at the default (yourself)). I clicked "Next".

"Confirm Installation" came up. I clicked "Next".

"Installation Complete" came up in a few seconds. I clicked "Close".

After that, I was able to use whatever I wanted as the desktop background and I could change it from "Stretch" to "Fit", "Center", or whatever I wanted. It worked.

Re: Here's the fix

Here is an easy fix that you don't have to install anything. It simply changes a couple reg entry's. You can read more about it on the link.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Back