Windows 7 Desktop clock is gone

UofT23

I was customising which icons I wanted to do what, and the clock dissapeared at some point. Now I can't figure out how to get it back:confused:

lol thats strange. Try the restore default icon behaviours button when you right click the start menu and hit properties, then hit the customise button under notification area and see what happens.

I tried that with no luck. Its really irritating because i'm so used to using that clock :(

I was customising which icons I wanted to do what

Could you be a little more specif about the line above?

Try going to Control panel > Date and Time, and uncheck or check some otter options, then reboot your computer.

haha sorry, must be tired.....I was customising how I wanted icons to display. Like for my volume icon to always show but for the utorrent icon to always hide for example. So after a couple minutes of tinkering with the settings I noticed my clock was gone. Not sure when exactly it happened but previous to me changing those settings it was there.

edit: I did try what the other poster suggested by resetting them to their default characteristics. I tried turning on the option to display a 2nd and even a 3rd clock (for different time zones) both of which failed to do anything. I also tried rebooting.

Were you doing this from Control panel > Notification Area Icons?

All you really need to do was go to Start > Run, and type msconfig, choose the Startup tab and uncheck everything except for your anti-virus, spyware detector and personal firewall if you have one,.

I was using the little white arrow pointing up, then selecting customise (the one on the taskbar that gives you access to the hidden icons).

I also just tried disabling everything in msconfig and restarting. did nothing.

Right click the little arrow and select properties. I think you will find you have turned the clock off

LOL I knew it was likely something stupid I did. Thanks so much that fixed it. I think I've clicked everything on the screen except right clicking the white arrow. duh! :D

BE NICE IF PEOPLE WOULD ONLY COMMENT WHEN THEY HAVE A DEFINITE SOLUTION; THANKS...! -=8^)~(^8=-

ISSUE: DESKTOP TOOLBAR ICONS AND CLOCK ARE NOT DISPLAYED...

O.S.: WINDOWS 7 ( MINE IS WIN7-ULT-X64 HIGHLY CUSTOMIZED FOR PERSONAL USAGE BUILD: 7601 W/ ALL UPDATES FROM M.S. UPDATE )

MY SOLUTION TO THE ISSUE: ... IS THE FOLLOWING...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO DOWN TO TOOLBAR ( OR WHEREVER YOU HAVE IT CURRENTLY ... )

1> AND RIGHT CLICK WHERE THE CLOCK USE TO BE,

2> SELECT PROPERTIES,

3> NOW EVEN THOUGH IT SHOWS DISPLAY CLOCK IS "ON", SET IT TO "OFF", AND APPLY... *IF IT'S NOT SHOWING AT ALL SEE BOTTOM OF THIS MESSAGE...!*

4> THEN AGAIN SET IT TO "ON" AND APPLY, AND...

5> IT ( SHOULD BE ) BACK!

*NOTE FOR THE WISE...*: WINDOWS TICK BOXES RARELY YET SOMETIMES GET CAUGHT IN LIMBO, EVEN THOUGH THEY SHOW A TICK IT'S NOT WORKING RIGHT, IT'S NEITHER ON OR OFF, SO DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU SEE AS IN THIS CASE, UNTICK IT ANYWAY, AND THEN APPLY, THEN TICK IT AGAIN, AND APPLY... OFTEN TIMES THIS WILL RECTIFY THE TICK BOX SO IT PROPERLY WORKS AGAIN. AND SOMETIMES THE TICK BOX OR OPTION IS GREYED OUT, OR MISSING ENTIRELY IN WHICH CASE YOU WILL HAVE TO SEARCH NET FOR A VALID & PROPER REGISTRY ENTRY TO FIX THE DEAD-SPAWN, OR OTHER SOFTWARE TO FIX THE DEAD-SPAWNED OPTION(S), AT Any rate, reinstalling windows is usually the final option after exhausting all other options, so indeed check around.... PEACE!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

* IF YOUR ICONS AND CLOCK HAVE NOT RETURNED, YOU HAD BETTER DO A DEEP MALWARE SCAN FROM ( F8 ) AND ONE OF THE SAFE MODE OPTIONS IF AT ALL POSSIBLE...*

* SEARCH FOR SOLUTIONS THAT WILL RESOLVE THIS ISSUE ONLINE BY QUERYING WITH THE QUESTION... { < FOR EXAMPLE... > } ... * MY CLOCK IS NOT DISPLAYING IN WINDOWS 7! * ... TO FIND MORE SOLUTION(S)...

*IF THE ABOVE SOLUTION DOES "NoT" RESOLVE YOUR ISSUE, TRY RESTORING BACK WITH SYSTEM RESTORE IF POSSIBLE, AND SEE IF THAT REVERTS BACK TO BEFORE THIS ISSUE SPAWNED... *IF NOT, YOU SURELY HAVE BEEN MALWARED, AND SOME SYSTEM FILES HAVE BEEN STOPPED, AND OR CORRUPTED, AND OR CHANGED, AND OR REMOVED ETC...

AND IF YOUR FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO HAVE MADE AN IMAGE BACKUP OF YOUR SYSTEM DRIVE BEFORE TOO MANY CHANGES AND BEFORE THIS ISSUE, THEN YOU CAN RESTORE BACK TO BEFORE THE ISSUE SPAWNED... -=8^)

StanDP~AKA~zZzAMBEEzZziE " ... Avid PC ENTHUSIAST Since 1982 ... " CheerzZz~<(_____)~ ... "It's JAVA Time!"

P.S.S. " MY FRIEND, NEVER FEAR; FOR THERE IS ALWAYS A SOLUTION THAT WILL MAKE YOU HAPPY AGAIN; DON'T GIVE UP FOR NUTTIN, NOR ANYONE!!! "

Last edited:
Really...?
Over two years since the last post in this thread which was five months before the RTM of Windows 7, you worked out a potential solution which you decided would be a good idea to type in all caps and preface with criticism of the previous commentors.
Thanks.

"BE NICE IF PEOPLE WOULD ONLY COMMENT WHEN THEY HAVE A DEFINITE SOLUTION"

Or, (as in your case!), if the very old solution had not already been given, in a much more abbreviated form.

Back
Top Bottom