Windows 7 desktop icons. gone mad!

drwbry

so i was messing around with taking the shortcut arrow off my desktop icons, but once i realized i couldnt drag and drop them to the super bar, i reversed my actions. i was left with an even bigger problem. all my icons display the "failed image" icon thing. i can't seem to figure out how to correct this. here, take a look at my screen shot.

desktopbadicons.jpg

Note: %userprofile% represents the path to user profile folder.
Rebuilding the Icon Cache Database

1. Close all folder windows that are currently open.
2. Launch Task Manager using the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC key sequence, or by running taskmgr.exe.
3. In the Process tab, right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End Process.
4. Click the End process button when asked for confirmation.
5. From the File menu of Task Manager, select New Task (Run…)
6. Type CMD.EXE, and click OK
7. In the Command Prompt window, type the commands one by one and press ENTER after each command:
CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
DEL IconCache.db /a
EXIT
8. In Task Manager, click File, select New Task (Run…)
9. Type EXPLORER.EXE, and click OK.

ok, i tried that but after i hit enter after: DEL IconCache.db /a it says "file cannot be found" or something along those lines. any other ideas? thanks

I have the same problem but it's been there since I installed Windows 7 Home Premium. I followed the procedure and it did not work. Any other suggestions and can you explain what he failed image icon represents??

Thank you

so i was messing around with taking the shortcut arrow off my desktop icons, but once i realized i couldnt drag and drop them to the super bar, i reversed my actions. i was left with an even bigger problem. all my icons display the "failed image" icon thing. i can't seem to figure out how to correct this. here, take a look at my screen shot.

Yeah.. you probably used a tool or procedure that used the old method that also removed the block around the text under icons. As you found out, that trick doesn't work... and causes problems under Win 7.

A program you can google called Windows 7 Toolkit 1.8 will remove the icons correctly.

I'm not sure how to reverse the action you took. If I find anything I'll be back.

When you say "super bar" do you mean the task bar? Looks like you just have the task bar located on the side.

Last edited:
Oh, that's a bad idea as it can cause this issue,If you used a registry script, make an undo file.

Note: This tweak effectively changes the properties of shortcuts so they are no longer considered to be shortcuts by Windows, this may have some slight side effects, such as hot keys not working as before.

Hopefully you exported the key before making the change.

I'll look through mt Registry directory and try to locate the fix,

Hit the WIN key + R, and type regedit.

Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile and add a String value named IsShortCut in the right pane.

Do the same under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\piffile

and finally HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut

Last edited:
Oh, that's a bad idea as it can cause this issue,If you used a registry script, make an undo file.

Note: This tweak effectively changes the properties of shortcutsso they are no longer considered to be shortcutsby Windows, this may have some slight side effects, such as hot keys not working as before.

Hopefully you exported the key before making the change.

I'll look through mt Registry directory and try to locate the fix,

Hit the WIN key + R, and type regedit.

Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile and add a String value named IsShortCut in the right pane.

Do the same under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\piffile

and finally HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut

Did that work for you? I thought I tried it and nothing happened. I rember trying a utility that does some registry tweaking but left a mess and I had to pull out my registry backup to undo it. Windows 7 Toolkit 1.8 works pefectly and it has at least 50 tweaks specific for Win 7

Well,

My exe's are fine.

This is from my collection of registry tweaks and I looked in the Windows 7 registry to confirm it.

I could always export the keys and save as a .reg file, zip it, and upload it if it would b easier.

reghakr=registry hacker:)

Well,

My exe's are fine.

This is from my collection of registry tweaks and I looked in the Windows 7 registry to confirm it.

I could always export the keys and save as a .reg file, zip it, and upload it if it would b easier.

reghakr=registry hacker:)

Why don't you post your reg hacks to a blog here? I need some more tricks to take credit for...

At one point in time I was going to do that, but I need to verify they work on Windows7.

I guess I got side tracked

Are you looking for something specific?

At one point in time I was going to do that, but I need to verify they work on Windows7.

If they don't people who try them will let you konw... haha

Are you looking for something specific?

Yes... anything that may be considered "cool"

I posted mine here a while back and they are the most popular blog even though the blog with the link to download the Windows iso's direct from Microsoft is about to catch up with it.

Over 1,200 people have viewed it... I guess Google is sending most of them. This whole forum is hot on Google.

http://windows7forums.com/blogs/tblount/69-windows-7-registry-tweaks.htmlhttp://windows7forums.com/blogs/tblount/66-first-windows-7-tweaks.html

I have one where you can place a custom graphic to Windows Explorer's toolbar, but it only works with Windows Basic theme.

There's one where you can change the title of Internet Explorer that works in Windows 7. Mine says "Use Firefox, it;s better"

One of my favorites is to ad Copy To and Move To to the right-click context menu.

Most of my hacks are for disabling items, but there are other :cool: ones.

I'll look through the registry directory and see what I can come up with.

Back
Top Bottom